Rebel LED 5 modes?

fidjit

Newly Enlightened
mine stays in the same mode after i switch it off but you have to wait at least 5 seconds than it will stay in the same mode.

Excellent, that was my problem, too quick mucking around with it. :twothumbs

Thanks.

Now what should be my next buy ( or should I just buy another one of these ) ........ :confused:

Last edited:

HorseFilms

Newly Enlightened
This is a great forum, guys. :thumbsup:

I just ordered one of these. Has anybody tested the runtime on this yet? I searched but couldn't find any info on that. It seems pretty bright for a 1AA light.

Last edited:

rheslip

Newly Enlightened
Just got mine today, the 100 lumen version. I'm very pleased with it. I was hoping it would be as bright as my Ultrafire WF602A that I modded with an SSC led. The MTE Rebel blows it away !

Build quality is pretty good - a bit of gunk in the threads but they do have lube. Glass lens. Cheezy plastic reflector - mine has some minor defects. It feels solid. Slightly longer, slimmer and lighter than the WF602A.

Beam is very white, similar to my Cree lights. More of a thrower than the SSC WF602A. Hotspot shows some defects and a bit of brown/yellow tint - not noticable in use tho.

Clicky is a bit stiff but not bad. Switching modes is fairly easy, and the mode memory is a very nice feature. I'd prefer a lower low output level.

Put in a "dead" alkaline < .9v and it still fires up. Not much light but at least you can see to find more batteries.

Current measurements - fresh Energizer Titanium alkaline:

Hi – 2.2A – actually starts at 2.5a, drops off fast with Alkaline battery
Med - 1.5A
Lo – 1.1A

This light on medium is about as bright as the SSC modded WF602A (single mode) and draws about the same current. I would expect that since the SSC and Rebel are about the same lumens/watt.

Current measurements - fresh off the charger Sanyo 2500mah NiMH (1.45v):

Hi – 3.8A – actually starts at 3.5A and increases as the LED heats up
Med – 2A
Low – 1.4A

3.8A is pretty insane but shows how much better the NiMh can supply power if demanded. This translates to an amp or more through the LED, so I didn't run it at this level for more than a minute but it was showing no signs of overheating. If you let NiMHs rest for a day after charging they drop down to 1.3V or so, so the current will probably be more in line with the alkaline. In any case, the light really blasts out lumens with a rechargeable.

The MTE 5 mode Rebel is my new favourite light. :grin2: Excellent deal for $18 !

Rich

martytoo

Newly Enlightened
I just used Pro Gold on my MTE Rebel and it is now about as bright as my RexLight. This is impressive. This means a 1.5 volt generic battery in the new light as bright as the 3+volt Lithium battery in the RexLight!

Bror Jace

Enlightened
I have three of these 5-mode Rebels (along with a few other lights) on order from Dealextreme. Can't wait to get them. I'm going to give at least one away immediately to a special ladyfriend. :eek:

mattblick

Newly Enlightened
Placed a DX order on Saturday, and another order on Monday after seeing this thread!:thumbsup:

edc3

Enlightened
I received mine yesterday. It's very nice for the money. It flickered at first, but I cleaned all the contacts with alcohol and it works great now. I compared it to my [SIZE=-1]SSC P4 U bin Huntlight and it is noticeably brighter, though the quality of the beam is not as nice. I really like the body style. The center part of the tube is narrower than the rest of the tube, just like my Huntlight. This makes it a little easier to grip. The grooves running the length of the middle part also make it grippier and look stylish. I prefer single or double-mode lights, but I had a lot of fun playing with the different modes and strobing my wife when she was doing things around the house. I went for a walk with my son and took my Huntlight and the new MTE. There are some very dark streets around our neighborhood which makes for good flashlight testing. The MTE was great. It was more than bright enough on high and has a pretty good flood. The defects in the beam were not at all noticeable to me in real-world usage. The MTE is slightly longer than my Huntlight and will not tail stand. It's lighter than the Huntlight, 2oz to 2.3oz and doesn't feel as solid. Bottom line, I'm very happy with it. I'll continue to EDC the Huntlight because it's better made and I trust it to be reliable, but the MTE is very bright and a great value.[/SIZE]

Scott_T

Newly Enlightened
My rebel bin 100 from dx came today and the quality seems great. Everything was tight and had a nice finish. Can't wait till it gets dark out and see how it works. Started up in strobe mode though and about put me in a seizure. :p

update:
I went outside with it and the streamlight pp4lux. At distances of less than 10 feet or so the rebel wins with brighter spill but after that the sl pp wins with better optics and throw. Gets nice and warm too.

Last edited:

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm just about through buying lights that I have to put tin foil or magnets on because of contact problems. I'd rather pay more for a light that works properly right out of the box. That :huh:

:party:
A truly enlightened statement. Possibly the best thing a new user (yes you are still new) has said here on the CPF forum since the recent invasion of cheap crap sub par flashlights started.
Yaesumofo

lamperich

Enlightened
mine stays in the same mode after i switch it off but you have to wait at least 5 seconds than it will stay in the same mode.

that´s it.

I wanted to store the low mode but i was pissed because next time the torch was in the strobo.....but not always
ironic.gif

took 2 hours of my life to understand the processing logic...

in the DX forum i noticed other also have this problem... was a ultrafire i think

glad iam not the only "Sawyer" out there...

Question:

Does anyone also have a hotspot with little shadows?

P.S. here are my numbers
Fresh charged NiMH ~1300lux@1m
current draw was 1,8-2,5A (difficult to measure.)

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
Question; Does anyone also have a hotspot with little shadows?]

Yes, that appears to be a Rebel's, with a smooth reflector, signature. I have two lights like this. My P3D RB100 with textured reflector is much smoother.

lamperich

Enlightened
Put in a "dead" alkaline < .9v and it still fires up. Not much light but at least you can see to find more batteries.

i also put old batteries in.

I tried a LR6 with unloaded voltage ~1,3V (with 1,1V within a few sec. @ ~2,5ohm load )
and a discharged NiMH 1,15V unloaded (with 0,9-1V within a few sec. @ ~2,5ohm load )

both batteries fired the torch up.
Seems it doesn´t have a startup problem so far.
That's a good news.

also very important at least for me is

a 3years old Sanyo2,3Ah battery
that is to weak to turn on my digicam if it is stored a couple of weeks
will work with the torch too.
Unloaded Voltage ~1,27V (~ 1,17V @ ~2,3ohm load )
the current draw is lower than. On High i got 1,2-1,3A.
the output on high drop down to ~800lux@ 1m.
med 500lux and ~1A
and the low mode still give ~300lux with ~0,6A

that means you can use your old NiMH in this torch.
it´s still bright enough.

For me the current Low Mode should be Med
and I also wish a lower Low …

the current modes are not that useful in real life..

An other thing i noticed is a little tint shift to the purple side on low.
That´s at least my way to separate the different modes especially med to low.

Overall iam satisfied but the shadows in the hot spot and the high low mode makes my sample less useful. The new LED can more.

I hope MTE will build a 2AA too… with the higher voltage I hope they can achieve more dynamic in the modes. Drive the LED with 500-700mA on high over the whole battery lifetime and not only with fresh charged NiMH´s.

edc3

Enlightened
A truly enlightened statement. Possibly the best thing a new user (yes you are still new) has said here on the CPF forum since the recent invasion of cheap crap sub par flashlights started.
Yaesumofo

Thanks for the comment. I wasn't trying to disparage anyone's product or anyone else's buying decisions. And I'm not saying I won't ever buy a cheap light again. It's fun to get something new and cool for < $20. I'm just rethinking my own priorities. My flashlight budget isn't unlimited and for just two or maybe three of these cheap lights I can get something I'll be really happy with and that I'll actually use and feel I can rely on.

lamperich

Enlightened
Yes, that appears to be a Rebel's, with a smooth reflector, signature. I have two lights like this. My P3D RB100 with textured reflector is much smoother.

unfortunately...

and here is a photo..
mterebel100shadowsiw6.jpg

lamperich

Enlightened
My flashlight budget isn't unlimited and for just two or maybe three of these cheap lights I can get something I'll be really happy with and that I'll actually use and feel I can rely on.

if you can
buy the fenix or the rexlight 2.1

compare the runtime...
the MTE 5mode is ~1-4 Hours only.

unfortunately my wallet has a "low capacity" and a "natural high internal resistance" so I stick with lower grade.
what you get here is ok.. but not as spectacular as a fenix.

L1D Results on Ni-Mh

EV * EC / SV * SC = Efficiency

2,80 * 0,032 / 1,302 * 0,080 = 86% on Low
3,10 * 0,134 / 1,280 * 0,390 = 83% on Medium
3,35 * 0,300 / 1,250 * 1,290 = 62% on High
3,40 * 0,340 / 1,250 * 1,320 = 70% on Turbo

source: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2122555#post2122555

edc3

Enlightened
Thanks lamperich. I've got a couple of "pre-Cree" Fenix. I'm planning on buying an L1T V2 - that is when I can afford it. Maybe next month...

Latest posts