Rechargeable options for 3-cell lights?

historyfuzz

Newly Enlightened
I have a few 3-cell c123 lights in which I currently use disposable c123s at a substantial cost. I don't like the performance on 123 rechargeables. With 2-cell lights I can just drop in 18650s, but obviously that's not an option with 3-cell lights. Are their any single-cell high performance replacement options that can get me away from disposable c123s???.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not a single cell solution but some 3x123A lights run very well on 2x17500 lithium-ion rechargeables. That's how I run my SureFire P3X, SureFire M3LT and SureFire UB3T Invictus. The Streamlight ProTac HL 3 looks like it will work as well but I haven't tested it very long in that configuration.

Norm

Retired Administrator
Providing the tube will accommodate an 18mm cell, try two 18500 cells.

historyfuzz

Newly Enlightened
It's not a single cell solution but some 3x123A lights run very well on 2x17500 lithium-ion rechargeables. That's how I run my SureFire P3X, SureFire M3LT and SureFire UB3T Invictus. The Streamlight ProTac HL 3 looks like it will work as well but I haven't tested it very long in that configuration.
It's funny, but those are the exact three lights i was thinking about using this solution in! Two questions: are run times with the 2x17500 comparable to the c123 option, and is peak lumens the same?

historyfuzz

Newly Enlightened
It must be yes to both questions:
Ok, just to make sure I have this correctly, in this thread, there are references to 14500, 17500 and 18500. In the chart, there is listed a 18490 and 14500. I apologize, but I'm new to flashlight batteries, but are these all the same size and voltage?

HKJ

Flashaholic
Ok, just to make sure I have this correctly, in this thread, there are references to 14500, 17500 and 18500. In the chart, there is listed a 18490 and 14500. I apologize, but I'm new to flashlight batteries, but are these all the same size and voltage?

All the batteries referenced with number codes are LiIon batteries with a maximim voltage of 4.2 volt and a nominal voltage around 3.6 to 3.7 volt, the actual voltage will be lower when loaded. The numeric code is the size of the battery, the first two digits is diameter and the last 3 digit is length in 1/10 mm steps (The size specifications is not very precise, especially for protected batteries). A 18650 is 18 mm diameter and 65.0 mm long.

historyfuzz

Newly Enlightened
All the batteries referenced with number codes are LiIon batteries with a maximim voltage of 4.2 volt and a nominal voltage around 3.6 to 3.7 volt, the actual voltage will be lower when loaded. The numeric code is the size of the battery, the first two digits is diameter and the last 3 digit is length in 1/10 mm steps (The size specifications is not very precise, especially for protected batteries). A 18650 is 18 mm diameter and 65.0 mm long.
Ah, now I see. Thank you for the battery lesson.

historyfuzz

Newly Enlightened
If your host can take protected 18500, get pair of AW's cells. If not, have somebody bore it for you because you will love the result.
My SF M3LT is too narrow inside. Seems like such a pristine light to bore. It's a good idea thought. Thanks

flashlight nut

Enlightened
If your host can take protected 18500, get pair of AW's cells. If not, have somebody bore it for you because you will love the result.
Hello everyone. I'm trying to get educated on rechargeables and have been reading a lot in this section. I have a specific question for which I'm looking for a conclusive answer. I have read that IMRs have a safer chemistry than protected ICRs. However, I'm looking to run 2 x 18500 IMRs for a 3 cell light and 2 x 18650 IMRs in a 4 cell light. I get the impression that IMRs should be run in a single cell configuration and not multiple cell configurations. Are IMRs safe to run in multiple cell configurations or is this a no no. I should note that these are AW IMRs purchased from a reputable dealer. Thanks and sorry for the nube question.