Recommend me a bright LED lantern for fishing, hunting, and camping please

HEDP

Enlightened
I'm looking for a tough, waterproof/resistant, bright, LED lantern for fishing, hunting, and camping. I need brightness and long life. I'd rather not spend too much money on it, like under $50, but if it's up to $100, that'd be the most.

What's out there guys?

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
While it looks like the Fenix CL25R is going to be interesting, might I suggest the Streamlight Siege LED Lanterns.

They (Streamlight Siege) are waterproof up to 1 meter and they float. The 3 D cell version goes for around $40 and the 3 AA cell version goes for around $30. I have found these to be great Lanterns. The Fenix is NOT waterproof, nor can it float.

I do not believe the Fenix is waterproof, and am unsure if it can float. As such, I would say the Streamlight would be much better for your use.

Streamlight also has a great warranty, if you ever have problems with them.

Last edited:

Eagles1181

Newly Enlightened
The the OP does not want to dive into the world of Li-ion batteries I agree the Streamlight Surge is a great lantern.

You are also correct the Fenix is only IPX-6 rated (Splashproof). The Streamlight is IPX-7 (waterproof up to 3 feet deep), but since it floats that is pretty much all that should be needed.

Eagle

Swamplite

Newly Enlightened
Another thumbs up for the Streamlight Siege and the UTC 30 Day is a great lantern also.If size and weight is no problem these two lanterns have much better run times than the Fenix and run on easy to find D batteries.If your back packing or want to travel lite the Fenix CR25R will be hard to beat.

HEDP

Enlightened
The the OP does not want to dive into the world of Li-ion batteries I agree the Streamlight Surge is a great lantern.

You are also correct the Fenix is only IPX-6 rated (Splashproof). The Streamlight is IPX-7 (waterproof up to 3 feet deep), but since it floats that is pretty much all that should be needed.

Eagle

Do you mean Streamlight Siege?

Also, is there 2 sizes? In the picture in Amazon they show a small one and a considerably larger one.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you mean Streamlight Siege?

Also, is there 2 sizes? In the picture in Amazon they show a small one and a considerably larger one.

Yes,they have a small 3AA version and a bigger 3D cell version and both are very nice.

I also have the UST 3D cell model called the 30 day light and it is nice too and competes directly against the D cell Siege but has a warmer more natural tint to the light too.

The Siege has a Red mode that the UST does not but if that is not important I would look closely at the UST.
I find the tint of the beam of light a lot nicer than that of the Siege.
I think the Siege may be better built but it is hard to ignore the quality of light from the UST nonetheless.

Last edited:

Eagles1181

Newly Enlightened
Thank you. Typing on the phone and autocorrect must have kicked in. Yes, the Streamlight Siege.

Eagle

GatorMedic

Newly Enlightened
Another vote for the Streamlight Siege. I own two of the AA models and two of the D models. The D models stay at home for blackouts and hurricane preparedness, although one is currently hanging in my downstairs closet for lighting in there as well since there is no built in light in the closet. One AA model stays in my emergency bag and the other AA model resides in the toolbox of my truck. I've used them on the beach, thrown them in water, tossed them in my truck bed, etc and they are still performing flawlessly. Love the features of it--handle with lip for hanging is the greatest thing ever to me. Love the ruggedness. Would highly recommend

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree about the Li-Ion cells. If you are going to be doing a lot of camping you might want to look into rechargeable NiMH cells, especially in the AA size.

Because NiMH cells can be a PITA to charge away from home, I feel that, if you want to go NiMH, D cells are a better choice than AA. The nice thing about D cells is that their high capacity means that they will last just fine through a typical camping trip. With this said, I actually got the Nitefighter lantern a couple of months back. In many ways, it's just your typical 3xD LED lantern. But where it REALLY excels is tint. With 300 lumens of Nichia LEDs, you just KNOW that it HAS to be good! No bluish cool white light here! And at around $30 on Amazon, it's not too expensive.

Raysbeam

Enlightened
I really enjoy my Fenix CL25R, until Fenix releases their bigger lanterns to North America. If I'm away from a power source or my vehicle I just bring extra 18650's and when I'm car camping I just charge it threw the day

Last edited:

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
StorminMatt, I think you're missing the Nitefighters IPX4 rating, which doesn'tmeet what the OP asked for