Recommend me a flashlight - Call all Gurus

onelight

Enlightened
I do the same type work and find the L-1 to be about ideal most of the time,the L-1 and the A-2 use the same lanyard so they hang bezel down and give you enough light to maneuver and work with the light pointing at your feet.Next year we will have the LS-4 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

jsoto

Newly Enlightened
Hey Sonic -

I run an IT firm, but we're a full service shop. We specialized in network infrastructure but I usually end up pitching out a whole project with Crestrons, etc. Out here in NYC, it's always a rat's nest unless I get *blessed* and have new construction. You guys sure are a bunch of freaks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Never even knew people modded flashlights /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Been using Mag for years......until I found this forum /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Anyhow, I've used my Mini Mag for just about everything and when working in drop ceilings, or running conduit inside a elevator shaft, etc - what's been working for me is a Panasonic Lantern powered off the batteries I use for the drills. It works great, has plenty of throw and is adjustable without someone needing to hold the light where I want it.

I have a feeling the A2 and the G2 is not going to be my only flashlight purchase this year

ZENGHOST

Enlightened
jsoto--

Welcome. Like Sonic, I carry a PM6 McModule or L4 with an Arc AAA on my keychain. I'm a computer tech but I don't usually do any wiring so I mainly need mine for closeup work like when I'm crawling around looking behind deskx and such. The L1 worked well because it had the hi/lo settings, but my L4 ousted it as EDC. The L4 really lights things up and both it and the McModule are probably overkill like Sonic mentioned, but I love having that blinding white light available to me. The L4's clip makes it handy for me because it's always at the ready. I have an E1E and Kl1 coming to me so I'll be trying that out as well as trying the TW4 combination (E1E body with KL4 head). If you're already used to carrying a minimag, then I'd recommend going with one of the aforementioned sandwich mods. The MM+Q3 is a great sandwich mod and adding a Kroll clickie switch will probably make your life a lot easier. If you can get a MM+R2 then you'd be even better off for throw (and my R2H is quite a bit whiter than my Q3).

Sonic

Newly Enlightened
jsoto,

I hear ya. I guess I've been lucky in that my company hardly does any retrofits. New construction all the way. Mostly, we do whole house audio and custom home theater. We do a LOT of plasma TVs too, but mostly front projectors in the theaters. I really like those Crestrons! I've worked with those only once before. But I have yet to run any wire in an elevator shaft!

Any of the lights suggested to you here will work well for you. It's more a matter of taste and preference. The A2 is a really nice light, but I've grown accustomed to the pure white light that only a good luxeon HD LED can deliver. Not the yellow of even the best incandescent or the blue/white of conventional Nichia type LEDs. And you may find that the LEDs of the A2 is just a little too dim for even close up work, and the incand. bulb is much too bright for the same distance. You might need something a little in between of those two extremes. The SF L1 is a good suggestion, but you may need a little more throw sometimes.

I stand by my first suggestion of the TL-2 LED. Or a similar 1 watt HD LED with a reflector. If you want to carry just one light, I think it's the best way to go for our type of use. Just some of my own opinions. Like I said, it's a matter of preference.

Sonic

PS ~ Zen makes some good suggestions here too.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
jsoto said:
...Just curious.....for those that keep your flashlight in the car. Doesn't Sun kill the life of these batteries of are these so called *lithiums* no affected by heat ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Lithiums are noted for their cold weather performance but they also resist heat better than other formulations. Because of potential danger if ruptured they have several built in safety features including an auto venting system. They are also more leak resistant than other batteries. I have rarely if ever heard of a light spoiled by lithium battery leakage. Their approx 10 year shelf life and extremely low rate of auto-discharge makes it possible to store them in lights for many years. Be aware that once they are used the auto discharge rate will accelerate somewhat.

Surefire lithium 123's, considered among the best, are now available online for $1.25 each (box of 12 for $15.00). This is startlingly low considering that you can easily pay
$5.00 - $8.00 or more at brick & morter stores. L-91's (lithium AA's) are more expensive due to Energizer's monopoly. $2.00 each is considered an excellent price, perhaps rock bottom. There's also much info about rechargeable batteries in CPF and LiION batteries are starting to be used more frequently though I don't know how heat resistant they are.

Brightnorm

WolfEyes

Newly Enlightened
Check out the Pila/Wolf-Eyes torches Pila GL2 (=Wolf Eyes 6TX Explorer) and GL3 (=Wolf-Eyes 9TX Raider) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif. These have a bright xenon light on one side and 4 LEDs on the other side. You can get a rechargable Lithium version, too: Pila GL2R/GL3R // Wolf-Eyes 6T/9T

Ok, this might be a little bit overdimensioned for your needs, but anyone can find some use in flashlights bright as hell /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wolf-Eyes
Pila

RevDavid

Enlightened
Surefire L4 would be my choice. It gives a lot of very nice WHITE light which is great for keeping your colors straight if you do any wiring jobs that have more than red black and white. Also, the LED is very resitant to shock, so is unlikely to leave you in the dark if it takes a shot while lit. Carry some spare cells and you should be fine. The A2 is great, but not nearly as white, except that you could order it with white LED's and solve that problem. You will find the light from the L4 to be smoother, and more revealing. If you are doing more close-up work, you might also take a look at the TW4 combo (E1E with KL4 head) to keep the light level a little lower. Some of these lights are actually too bright for some closeup work, and that is one benefit of the TW4 for realy close use.

Good luck!

David <><

danielo_d

Enlightened
I used to install POS [Point of Sale, not peice of -you know what] systems. I also used to install video surveillance systems. So, ran alot of level 2 data wire. That was a few years ago way before stumbling upon CPF. Mostly used minimag, mm clones, and 2D incandescants. However, if I were still running cable now, probably use a headmounted LED light for close up work [like crimping or patching in crawlspaces].
My 2AA LED Legend would be for medium throw. [too many times my minimag batteries pooped out or bulb burned out in mid run.] Haven't modded my minimag, yet.
Then for throw, maybe something with an LSHD. [Don't have one, yet.] Or maybe one of my bright incandescants.
Of course, I would carry a backup. My EDC is a dorcy AAA. That can get me to where my other light sources are in a pinch.

If you do like your minimag, the dropin mods I hear about are great. Eliminates the bulb burnout and short runtime problem.
There are lots of great suggestions here in this forum. these are my 1 1/2 cents worth. [not a guru, yet.]
Danno