Recommend me a mule!

RetroGrouch

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

I'm brand new to this forum, but only newish to flashlights.

I have a Prometheus Beta Magnetic mule and I love its beam. But at only 40 lumens, it's pretty limited. Hoping to get some recommendations on a mule with higher output.

Thinking of Noctigon KR4 in 519A, maybe 3500K. Or would a dual channel mule make sense, maybe 3,500 and 5,700? Is a dual channel KR4 mule even possible? Should I stick to a single channel, and save my dual-channel experiment to another light?

Also open to totally different makes and models, new or used. I don't mind shelling out the extra bucks for a very special light. Any suggestions??

Mike

BTW, if it helps, this is what I already have:

Emisar D4V2 (E21A 2700K)
Emisar D4V2 Ti (519A 4000K)
HDS Systems NB30 (Nichia 219B 3000K)
Jetbeam RRT01 (Nichia 219C)
Lumintop GT70 (Cree XHP70.2 Neutral)
Lumintop GT Nano
Malkoff Wildcat XP-L (Neutral)
Malkoff MDC AA (Neutral)
Prometheus Alpha Pre-Made
Prometheus Beta Magnetic (Yuji BC3030 G04 4000K)
Prometheus Beta UV
Prometheus Beta Copper
Wurkkos TS25 (519A 5000K)

Last edited:

Vemice

Enlightened
You can look at Peak lights. They will, pretty much, build to order and use AAAs or 10440s. You will need to study up on them as there are so many options such as just body metal ; SS, Copper, Brass and aluminum.
Raw aluminum Peak Eiger mule:
myiJO3tl.jpg
Copper mule:
2GLAs0Nl.jpg

RetroGrouch

Newly Enlightened
You can look at Peak lights. They will, pretty much, build to order and use AAAs or 10440s. You will need to study up on them as there are so many options such as just body metal ; SS, Copper, Brass and aluminum.
Raw aluminum Peak Eiger mule:
View attachment 44880
Copper mule:
View attachment 44881

Thanks, I'd never heard of Peak lights. Looks like nice stuff for sure. Definitely on short short list.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone know if the optics can be removed from the Emisar that RetroGrouch already has? Can they function without?

I'm sure it can be removed and function without the optics, but it won't be the same as Emisar's dedicated mules. Those have more LEDs and they are placed closer to the lens so more of the light comes out the front instead of inside the head.

As far as @RetroGrouch's thoughts on the KR4, I say if you're willing to pay for a dual channel KR4 mule, absolutely go for it! However, you can only get the dedomed 519A in the mules. I myself have a D4V2 mule with 5700K dedomed 519A, it's roughly 4300K and absolutely beautiful, but if I did it again, I'd do dual channel with that and maybe a 3500K dedomed.

If you want a single channel 519A mule, 4500K dedomed should be pretty close to 3500K. I have one of those in my D1 and it's also absolutely beautiful. Warm, but not incandescent warm

Last edited:

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all,

I'm brand new to this forum, but only newish to flashlights.

I have a Prometheus Beta Magnetic mule and I love its beam. But at only 40 lumens, it's pretty limited. Hoping to get some recommendations on a mule with higher output.

Thinking of Noctigon KR4 in 519A, maybe 3500K. Or would a dual channel mule make sense, maybe 3,500 and 5,700? Is a dual channel KR4 mule even possible? Should I stick to a single channel, and save my dual-channel experiment to another light?

Also open to totally different makes and models, new or used. I don't mind shelling out the extra bucks for a very special light. Any suggestions??

Mike

BTW, if it helps, this is what I already have:

Emisar D4V2 (E21A 2700K)
Emisar D4V2 Ti (519A 4000K)
Jetbeam RRT01 (Nichia 219C)
Lumintop GT70 (Cree XHP70.2 Neutral)
Lumintop GT Nano
Malkoff Wildcat XP-L (Neutral)
Malkoff MDC AA (Neutral)
Prometheus Alpha Pre-Made
Prometheus Beta Magnetic (Yuji BC3030 G04 4000K)
Prometheus Beta UV
Prometheus Beta Copper
Wurkkos TS25 (519A 5000K)

I've got a very special light for you.
I have a SLN light and a 12 LED mule.
The SLN light and 12 LED mule drop in are new.
Output is insane and the SLN is a special USA made host that can't be bought anymore. I have a black one and a silver one.

Here's specs to the SLN host: https://skylumen.com/products/sky-lumen-nguyen-preview-1?_pos=3&_sid=a7103e092&_ss=r

RetroGrouch

Newly Enlightened
I'm sure it can be removed and function without the optics, but it won't be the same as Emisar's dedicated mules. Those have more LEDs and they are placed closer to the lens so more of the light comes out the front instead of inside the head.

As far as @RetroGrouch's thoughts on the KR4, I say if you're willing to pay for a dual channel KR4 mule, absolutely go for it! However, you can only get the dedomed 519A in the mules. I myself have a D4V2 mule with 5700K dedomed 519A, it's roughly 4300K and absolutely beautiful, but if I did it again, I'd do dual channel with that and maybe a 3500K dedomed.

If you want a single channel 519A mule, 4500K dedomed should be pretty close to 3500K. I have one of those in my D1 and it's also absolutely beautiful. Warm, but not incandescent warm

Maybe something has changed, as Hank specifically recommended a 519A with dome for a mule. Yesterday I went ahead and ordered a single channel KR4 in 3500K. Curious to see how it turns out!

Nobody ever said I could only have one mule, so I'm still open to further options. And I'll certainly try a dual-channel (mule or not) at some point. I think I'm starting to suffer from Flashlight Acquisition Syndrome... 😂

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe something has changed, as Hank specifically recommended a 519A with dome for a mule. Yesterday I went ahead and ordered a single channel KR4 in 3500K. Curious to see how it turns out!

Nobody ever said I could only have one mule, so I'm still open to further options. And I'll certainly try a dual-channel (mule or not) at some point. I think I'm starting to suffer from Flashlight Acquisition Syndrome... 😂

Maybe the KR4 head is different than the D4V2 head (other than the obvious switch) as Hank said only the dedomed would work when I inquired about my D4V2 mule. Regardless, I look forward to your opinion on the domed 3500K, I myself have been eyeing the D2 and am considering that for the floody channel.