Recommend me a light for nighttime hiking/badassery

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Coyotes will not stand to be whacked, crenellated or not. A person is more likely to hurt their pocket, dogs, or self with sharp edges on a flashlight, but if it makes for good feelings of security, oh well hopefully using it will not result in assault charges with a deadly weapon.

When not in use, something like a Malkoff Hound dog could be slipped between belt and body if not wearing a jacket with a big enough pocket.

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
I personally like Zebralight for headlamps and hiking. Granted I know they make some handhelds but their product is top knotch. Plenty bright and can run on primaries/rechargeables.

SYZYGY

Enlightened
imo nothing beats zebralight unless you have specific requirements. look there first.

if you want a more 'old school' flashlight feel (think cop or security guard or something) then i'd look at malkoff or elzetta. american made, chunky, tacticool (not dissing it!)...

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are only two confirmed fatal coyote attacks on humans, 3yo Kelly Keen in 1981, who was rescued but later died at a hospital of blood loss and a broken neck, and 19yo singer songwriter Taylor Mitchell in 2009, who was conscious when rescued but later died of blood loss at a hospital. A lot of study subsequently went into the Mitchell attack, as coyotes are known not to be aggressive towards humans, non-fatal attacks also being rare. Apparently, pressure due to lack of prey caused coyotes in the area to target larger prey.

Coyotes will not stand to be whacked, crenellated or not. A person is more likely to hurt their pocket, dogs, or self with sharp edges on a flashlight, but if it makes for good feelings of security, oh well hopefully using it will not result in assault charges with a deadly weapon.

I am in full agreement with KITROBASKIN, that crenellations will end up giving the user minor wounds and damaging pockets, always, and I can only add that I have never heard of anyone ever using crenellations. I believe, though legal to own and carry, that they can't be used. It is only my conjecture, but if they ever were used in a self-defense situation, except in the occasion of total war, without a witness I give it equal chances the victim is prosecuted, and if with a lucky strike a death occurs, again without witnesses, there will undoubtedly be second degree murder charges filed against the victim, unless they are extremely sympathetic, such as elderly or pregnant, or the attacker is a usual suspect with a long criminal record.

Last edited:

The Hawk

Enlightened
This is not so much about which light to get, but a reminder to carry a spare lite. I subscribe to the 2 is 1, and 1 is none theory. I sometimes walk around our subdivision at night and have had my main lite stop working. I was plenty happy to have that spare tucked away in my back pocket.

beesechurgers

Newly Enlightened
This is not so much about which light to get, but a reminder to carry a spare lite. I subscribe to the 2 is 1, and 1 is none theory. I sometimes walk around our subdivision at night and have had my main lite stop working. I was plenty happy to have that spare tucked away in my back pocket.
I did get the Fenix as a gift. This recommendation would be for the primary

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
Personally I dont believe in all the lumens, sure I am limiting myself. However most lights that run high lumens also run hot. On the off chance the heat sink doesnt work properly, your electronics go kaput. So I look more at how the beam is projected, example; a Surefire E1L has a TIR lens that projects light, but only puts out 45 lumens (back when you could buy them commercially). I would keep that in mind when choosing a light.

beesechurgers

Newly Enlightened
+

Badassery, luv it!

You can get the new Acebeam Defender 17
uses the domeless Cree 70.3 emitter,, from 'neals' for $89 using coupon 1LumenNEW
badassery for that price
This feels like one of the most well-considered recommendations in this thread. Much appreciated! How does the community feel about Acebeam?

beesechurgers

Newly Enlightened
Personally I dont believe in all the lumens, sure I am limiting myself. However most lights that run high lumens also run hot. On the off chance the heat sink doesnt work properly, your electronics go kaput. So I look more at how the beam is projected, example; a Surefire E1L has a TIR lens that projects light, but only puts out 45 lumens (back when you could buy them commercially). I would keep that in mind when choosing a light.

Thanks for this, can you point me to a resource where I can learn more about this?

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
Thanks for this, can you point me to a resource where I can learn more about this?
You may be able to find a little more about this in the forums. I am just speaking from personal experience. I used to hike a lot as a boyscout using old school LED head lamps or xenon bulbs. I tend to have found in the initial LEDs they werent bright but they had a proper lens that put out a good distant beam. As flashlights have gotten newer, I have bought some high lumen (granted chinese cheapo grade) LED flashlights that would burn out because they got too hot from the high lumens. Yet I have lights that are low lumen output, long running and havent burnt out because the heat doesnt collect the same. I hope that helps.