Recommend me a handheld spotlight for use on a sailboat in all conditions.

clarkimaging

Newly Enlightened
Thanks in advance for the help! Quite simply I need a handheld, portable spotlight with enough throw to illuminate rocks/etc. in a marine environment long before we sail over them:duh2:. 150 yards would be a bare minimum with 300+ being outstanding. Is this reasonable?

Thanks Again,
Pat Clark

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

** I will be mail-ordering or buying online, so this doesn't matter.

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

** I'm flexible, tell me what you gotJ.

3) Format:

**I want a portable spotlight.

4) Flashlight-specific format/size:

**I don't care as long as it's handheld.

5) Emitter/Light source:

**Any.

6) Manufacturer:

**I would consider getting a light that is pieced together (for example a "host" or flashlight body from one manufacturer, and a "drop-in" emitter from another source).

7) What battery type do you want to use?

**I want a light with an integrated rechargeable battery. (Note: these choices may be very limited unless you are looking at spotlights)

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).

**I want ridiculous amounts of lumens (800+ lumens).

9) Throw vs. Flood: At what distance will you be most likely to use this light? Select all that apply.

**50-150+ yards (I want maximum throw possible) This light will be used solely on our sailboat to help navigate into dark, unknown marina/coves/inlets. Seeing the rocks before they see you is always a good thing.

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum output).

**30-60 minutes (I have plenty of batteries just ready to be changed)

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

**Very Important (marine use).

12) Switch Type and location (choose all that apply):

Either type is fine
**I want a forward clicky (Helpful for momentary activation and signaling).

**I want a tail mounted switch (found on the majority of today's high end lights).

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

**A simple on-off with only one output level is fine for me.

14)Material/Finish/Coating

**Plastic/composite body. Not very inportant other than corrosion issues.

15) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any below.

**Not that I currently know of. I'm sure there are plenty of extras I "need"

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Thrunite TN31 is one of the best LED throwers at the moment and it's on sale at Thrunite's store. That could work for you. Olight's SR95 and variants have more throw then the TN31, but they are also bigger, cost more, and use a battery pack (could be a pro).

If you don't mind a warm-up time, no modes, and a cool down time, a HID light could work better. They are generally larger then LED lights, but they also provide more throw and overall output.

:welcome:

LeeEdc

Newly Enlightened
Hm, I was asking the same question!
My shortlist (sub $50, throw, bought locally) contained:
Fenix E40
Dorcy Cyberlight (not waterproof!)
Rayovac Indestructible Lantern 4C (IPX4 :thumbsdow, but some tests point toward good waterproofing)

:popcorn:
I'm watching this thread.

tubed

Enlightened
Hi there,
I'm a fellow sailor/boater and have been investigating "the perfect boat light" for a while now.
I don't see a price range in your orignal post (I may have missed it) but here's my recommendation. If your're serious about "an integrated rechargable battery" that limits things a bunch. That being said... I just got a Nitecore MH 25 (860 lumens XML)-- i think the light you should get.
- it has >800 lumens on turbo (turbo downshifts a bit after 3 min but that's fine) - can go about 150 yards
- the Turbo mode can be accessed instantly from any other mode by a one-hand twist of the bezel, so you can keep the "other mode" set low for working around the boat without destroying night vision. You don't have to take your hand off the wheel (or boat) to access turbo.
- it is small enough to wear on your hip in a holster (and not bother you) or even put in a front pocket temporarily when you need both hands
- is has a built in charger for its 18650 battery so you don't have to travel with a charger, yet it can take 2 CR123s if you need to.
- i'm not confident its "sealed" charging port will last forever in a salty environment but it can be sealed tight
- you can get them (with cpf discount) for around $65 online

I tried bigger more powerful lights but found if you cannot carry it around easily it's not as helpful. i.e if you have to run down to the cabin or open a locker to get it, that's not good.
You may have been thinking about something a lot bigger and it may seem strange to make your "spotlight" something that fits in your pocket, but with today's high powered LEDs - why not?

The only thing I haven't figured out about boat lights is this - should you get a light with an XPG emitter instead of an XML ? (nitecore makes a MT25 with an XPG emitter, no built in recharger). The XMLs produce more light but the "cone" of light is more spread out. this is a good thing if you want to look for hazzards in the water but it also means more light will bounce off your boat and reflect back in your eyes (worsening things). the XPG emitters are more like a beam of light (less overall lumens). They go farhter and reflect less from your boat but light up less space- making them better for finding distant channel markers, or anything that reflects light. I started with an XML light but may try the other at some point
There are a lot of small -ish XML lights out there here are a few:
Crealant V9cs and 7gcs
Nitecore MT 26 (no charger, XML) MT 25 (no charger XPG- one review has this throwing 50 yrds farhter) ,MH25 (charger, XML
Sunwayman - a bunch like the T20cs , V20cs , etc
and many more

hope this helps

clarkimaging

Newly Enlightened
The Thrunite TN31 is one of the best LED throwers at the moment and it's on sale at Thrunite's store. That could work for you.

If you don't mind a warm-up time, no modes, and a cool down time, a HID light could work better. They are generally larger then LED lights, but they also provide more throw and overall output.

:welcome:

Thanks for the welcome. The Thrunite looks promising. It's quite amazing that one can get 700 meters of throw out of an 8" light. It looks to be about $220, which isn't out of the question, but it isn't inexpensive either. I guess it's like the Bontrager quote concerning buying cycling components. "Light, strong and cheap. Pick two."

The HID is a possibility with the main concern being warm up time in an "oh crap" kind of moment. What would you recommend in HID?

clarkimaging

Newly Enlightened
I don't see a price range in your orignal post (I may have missed it) but here's my recommendation.

The price isn't the primary concern but it does come into play. The decision being lumens/dollar for a thrower (if there is such a comparison). Not getting the stinkeye from my wife is another concern:sick2:

[/QUOTE]
If your're serious about "an integrated rechargable battery" that limits things a bunch.
[/QUOTE]
No, not so much but it can be helpful so we aren't dragging batteries all over the place. More importantly , not trying to find batteries in BFE.
But, for the purposes of my inquiry, tell me what you think is best.

[/QUOTE]
I just got a Nitecore MH 25 (860 lumens XML)-- i think the light you should get.
- it has >800 lumens on turbo - can go about 150 yards
- you can get them (with cpf discount) for around $65 online[/QUOTE]
Looks like a very nice light indeed. CPF discount? Where and how????

[/QUOTE]
I tried bigger more powerful lights but found if you cannot carry it around easily it's not as helpful. i.e if you have to run down to the cabin or open a locker to get it, that's not good.
You may have been thinking about something a lot bigger and it may seem strange to make your "spotlight" something that fits in your pocket, but with today's high powered LEDs - why not?[/QUOTE]
Which big lights worked well? I'm not opposed to having seconday lights.

Thanks,
Pat

StarHalo

Flashaholic
The HID is a possibility with the main concern being warm up time in an "oh crap" kind of moment. What would you recommend in HID?

The aforementioned L35 would be an excellent choice; store shelf lantern-sized body in black or orange, 3500 lumens, throws a hotspot a half a mile with a massive ~160 degree spillbeam, and BatJunc has them for $240.

Dubois

Enlightened
An alternative to the TN31 would be the K40 - either Supbeam or L3 Illuminations version. They are (probably) made in the same factory as the Thrunite, and the specs are as near as damn it identical. A lot cheaper too - $90 - $120 depending on where you buy it. Both have been reviewed, and beamshots available.

I have the Supbeam K40, and am really happy with it.

Oh, and the Thrunite was going for $139 from their site until recently - just checked and they have increased their prices back to old levels. Maybe their eBay store still have the light at the lower price.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Thrunite TN31 is currently on sale for $140, so it's a great deal for a far throwing light (I'm not getting one though, no need for it).

The L35 is a nice lower cost HID light.

tubed

Enlightened
Looks like a very nice light indeed. CPF discount? Where and how????

-I got this light at Goinggear - if you search discount coupons and goinggear on the CPF search engine you should come up with somthing that gives you a 10% discount ...if not PM me

[/QUOTE]

Which big lights worked well? I'm not opposed to having seconday lights.

- having read your post thoroughly now, I see you may have wanted something that goes much farther. My advice -- I still recommend the nitecore to carry with you regularly but if you really want a 300 yard thrower - this is not my area of expertise. Whatever it is, it's going to be big and heavy (i think). I have a Sunwayman T40cs. It can go about 200 to 250 yards by my estimate but it's tough to carry, takes lots of batteries, and doesn't really have a low setting. Otherwise you might want to just get one of those 2 million candle power things at West Marine - they're heavy and don't run for long, but they throw really far. They're usefull if you really need to throw far to find a channel marker or something but don't have much spill (i.e. you only light up what its pointed at) so not too good for hazzards like rocks.
I think the two flashlight idea is fine.

Thanks,
Pat[/QUOTE]

hahoo

Enlightened
i can tell you this.....i tried the stanley 3500 hid on my boat and hated it......we were running out of oregon inlet , nc one morning well before sunup, trying to spot marker bouys,and i had another guy with my cheap lil dorcy 220 lumen spotting around at the same time i was.........
believe it or not the dorcy actually seemed more useful, as it is a pure thrower with very little side spill........while the massive hid really hurt your night vision with all the spill and glare it put out.....especially on the pure white topside front deck on my boat.....

i actually just got in from the lake a few minutes ago and used my tn31 after dark and love it.......
id say thats the light you need for boating...

trust me, when you get out in the open waters , you WILL want all the throw you can get... open water and wide open spaces will eat up lumens and light like you wouldnt believe......

4 0r 500 yards is just a spit sometimes out on the water......

plus it will go down very low so you can hunt about the boat, read maps, etc and not get blinded.....

probably the most powerful, versitile light out there right now.......

Last edited:

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
What about saabluster's modified TN31?
You can read about it at onestopthrowshop .
86% greater output than stock TN31, multiple levels, twist selectable before turning light on, 980 meter range till the beam equals moonlight... Sounds like a winner to me.

Last edited:

tubed

Enlightened
Having looked at the specs for the tn31 (a light I was not familiar with) I have to say i'm very impressed. Much farhter throw and lower low--I think it also has ring twist UI which is nice. Looks like a light that does it all.
Only downsides I see:
-would be tough to carry around a lot due to size and weight
- takes 3 18560s
- more expensive

Now you get to decide - never an easy thing ;>)

tubed

Enlightened
Ok - so having read even more about the tn31 i'm drooling over this light.
That being said....this light is $220 on sale. that's a lot of mulah. Battery Junction has a slew of old-style 1million candlepower kind of lights for around $20. - some claiming ranges of a mile?? acouple come with built in laterns as well. think i'm going to get one.
Depending on your budget, you might want to consder the MT or MH 25 for your pocket and keep a spotlight nearby for the true long range stuff. If you got the cash, the tn 31 should cover everything.
(still a little big to carry all the time)

baexmeyer

Newly Enlightened
I recently purchased a ST 90 from Elektro Lumens. This thing is a beast. I looked into the TN31 as well, but wanted more light out the front. You should at least check it out.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Search "Thrunite Store" in your favorite search engine, Thrunite is having a christmas sale where the TN31 is $130 right now. I've noted this a few time already.

The Elektrolumens ST90 is a big, well built, powerful light from what I hear, and could be a great option too.

clarkimaging

Newly Enlightened
Since the Thrunite store has the TN31 on sale for $130 it seems like a good place to start. After it arrives I'll try it on the water and post my thoughts.
Thanks again everyone!