Recommend my first 18650 light?

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
P12GT, UC35 any PD35 variant, Thrunite TN12 2016 edition, Eagletac T25C2 (cool thing with this ET model is you can swap emitters from XML2 to XPG to XP-L HD and XP-L HI etc).

BugoutBoys correct me if I am wrong here but isnt the P12gt the first thermally regulated P12?

bbb74

Enlightened
I was about to post and say I've added pd35 to the list. I suppose the p12 and tn12 have to go on too but generally I'd pick fenix over thrunight or have they stepped up their quality?

Looked at eagletacs they seems to be very nice lights. Can't buy one of everything though :(

Strintguy

Enlightened
Looked at eagletacs they seems to be very nice lights. Can't buy one of everything though :([/QUOTE]

It doesn't mean you shouldn't try though...

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
pping any light head first onto concrete is not a good idea. Even if its a light rated for 10 meters impact or more. That being said Zebralights are mini tanks themselves. From what I understand most of the lights parts are now US made as well. ZL's have arguably the most sophisticated and intuitive user interface among 1x18650 lights. They have fully potted electronics and are programmable from here to the moon. My NW SC600 MkII is an amazing light I am just more of a throw guy I like some range and good definition in my profiles. All the lights mentioned so far you really cannot go wrong with. Eagletac makes great lights I own 10.

Do you want the light to be able to tailstand so you can ease back a couple modes off turbo and use the light as a candle? That eliminates most Fenix as Fenix says they want their lights to have superior switch access and they do especially the PD35 TAC.

You really cannot go wrong with any of the lights mentioned so far. Hell you could go as far as an M2X Javelot with 800 meters of throw off 1x18650 but its dftly a belt light. True 1000 lumen output can be gotten out of just about any light mentioned so far. Highly advise going to the reviews section and checking out some 1x18650 reviews. TK16 is a true 1000 lumen light then again so is a Nitecore MH20. There are a few 1x18650 lights coming out over the next month I am going to get. There is an SC600 MkIII HI coming. There is an XP-L Thrunite TC12 coming that is mini USB rechargeable.

If you are just itching to jump on an easy to EDC 1000 lumen light the TAC, P12GT, TK16 and Thrunite TN12 2016 edition are sure bets.

BugoutBoys

Enlightened
P12GT, UC35 any PD35 variant, Thrunite TN12 2016 edition, Eagletac T25C2 (cool thing with this ET model is you can swap emitters from XML2 to XPG to XP-L HD and XP-L HI etc).

BugoutBoys correct me if I am wrong here but isnt the P12gt the first thermally regulated P12?
The P12GT is the first thermally regulated P12

bbb74

Enlightened
Ok so I realised I want at least two lights (haha!!) and need to pick one to start with...

My 1st priority is a non-compact 18650 with only modest throw and a wide beam, serious toughness, and a nasty looking bezel.
I think I've picked the TK22 to meet these requirements :)
The TK16 is also a contendor and it is more floody.
Closest looking nitecore was the old p16?

My 2nd priority is a compact or semi-compact 1x18650 again with modest throw.
SC62 - floody and one of the smallest options
SC600 mk iii - unprotected 18650 only :( people reporting green tints (yuck) don't want to have to buy unprotected and in future protected for other lights...
SC600 mk ii - contendor, bit more throw than sc62
P12 - 1000/240/70/11 - (really 900) - physical reverse protection only. Not sure I like the mode spacing. Fairly narrow beam spread compared to the others.
P12GT - probably too throwy for my needs, pd35 is a bit more efficient it seems. Fairly narrow beam spread compared to the others.
PD35 - 850/450/170/45/10 - contendor
MH20 - no head spring - after dropping a torch on its head and killing it due to the battery damaging the pcb, don't want to go down this path. Great light though, good beam.
TN12 - looked at the 2014 version reviewed by selfbuilt but its not really a stellar performer for efficiency and is kind of direct drive in max/high.
G25C2-II - no lockout - maybe not ok with flattops (saw this mentioned somewhere)
TX25C2 - beam is too narrow for my tastes

bbb74

Enlightened
Got my tk22 today super fast delivery for this time of year, wasn't expecting it till after Xmas :) love the feel of it, and seems extremely well made. It's so beautiful I started crying ... when I looked into the beam ;). And now its getting wrapped up and I can't play with it till tomorrow. Managed to mostly charge one of the new batts before they got taken off me as well :)