Recommendations?: Flashing LED Dog Collar

altoon

Newly Enlightened
Re: Serious Lighted Dog Collars for Search and Rescue Dogs (and your pet too!)

paulr, try
http://www.auroralites.com/

John N, great photos. Do you like the collar? Any general impressions you could share?

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast

Altoon,

I've been meaning to post on this topic for quite some time, but never seem to get around to it.

First, I should point out that my use of these collars (night time dog walking safety, read VISIBILITY) isn't 100% what they are designed for. So some of the things I don't like are design features. Hopefully at some point Dave will make a collar with the same rugged design, but incorporating the stuff I want! ;-)

Ok, let's get to it.

Overall, the design appears sturdy and well thought out.

The EL strip is laminated, and then under a plastic window. The portion where they meet the electronics is reinforced. The electronics are potted. The switch is waterproof. This collar should take a serious amount of abuse and keep ticking. MUCH more sturdy than other lighted collars I have seen. The 9v power "brick" source should keep the light going for a good long time, esp. compared to the lights using a couple of "coin" cells.

I really like the use of snaps as a closure. This is simple and effective and very low bulk. I'm not sure why others don't use this approach. Very slick.

The light takes a 9V battery. You can use either a lithium or a alkaline. There is a battery lead coming from the electronics which you clip onto the battery (like a pigtail). You then stuff the whole affair into the battery pouch and zip it up. I dislike this. It feels somewhat sloppy in an otherwise well thought out design. It's a pain to stuff the battery in there and gets in the way of the button. My guess is it might even be possible to accidently turn the light on or off with agressive activity (battery bouncing against the switch).

There is no "D" ring or other good place to attach a tag. This is a pain for me as I always want to attach a dog tag to the collar.

Ok, so how does it work?

Well, for me, the dog walker, to see the dog.... outstanding. It is much brighter than the LED collars I've seen and it works better than attaching a light to the dog's collar which ends up under the dog's chin and as a result visibility is sometimes blocked by the dog.

But as far as making the dog visible to an oncoming car's headlights, I suspect the lack of a retroreflective component is going to hamper visibility significantly.

Runtime? Well, I don't know, but it is decent. After taking the dogs out many times for about an hour walk, the light was accidently left on (with the original alkaline battery). The next morning, it was still glowing softly.

I think it is rated something like 13 hrs with alkaline and 60 hrs with a lithium. I loaded up with lithium this time around, and don't expect to deal with batteries for a while!

Do I recommend this light? Yes. Especially to someone who's primary concern is keeping track of a dog in the dark. It is very bright, and very sturdy. As the title of this thread indicates, this is a serious tool.

What would I like changed?

1) Add a "D" ring or some other way to easily attach a tag.
2) Keep the EL strip the same width, but pair it with a retroreflective strip of at least the same width visible. (I don't mind that it would be wide)
3) Clean up the battery compartment.
4) Since both the EL tape and the retroreflective strip are nice and flexible, I'd love to see something that provides more 360 coverage. It could wrap over the top of the electronics compartment and give full 360. That would be slick.

In any case, a good bit 'o kit.

Thanks Dave,

-john

EDIT: Oh, BTW, notice they have a new harnesses design up on their web site. If I understand correctly, it comes with a EL strip and then has spots you can attach retroreflective strips. This might be the best visibility solution. Hopefully someone will try it and report.

Last edited:

DaveYoungman

Newly Enlightened
Serious Lighted Dog Collars for Search and Rescue Dogs (and your pet too!)

Hi John

Thanks for the product review. If I may I'll add one or three points of explanation.

First off I chose durability over mass produced / high profit margins and made in a place where they think of dogs as a cheeseburger on a leash. I think our working dogs are worth the extra effort. It is a small niche market and I'm sure the big guys out there think I'm nuts but I know the dogs are as safe and visible as I can make 'em. To my knowledge there is only one other product on the market that will light up a dog brighter than my collars and tracking harnesses. Naphtha.

One point you made was the dog is NOT very visible to oncoming traffic. This is true as the power pocket is usually at the throat so the lamp starts at the side of the neck and goes right around to the other side. As a good % of my sales are to Law Enforcement agencies (just finished orders to L.A. County Sheriff's Dept and Durham PD) they don't want the dog visible from the front. When the dog is rushing a bad guy the first thing they want him to see is a mouthful of pearly whites. The SAR people are usually behind or to the sides of their dogs and both from feedback and observing my own dog, not only can we see where the dog is but what it is doing. This increases training efficiencies at night and allows us to get our dogs either back to work or away from something gross about to be rolled in! That alone would be worth the cost of the collar IMHO. (where's the grin smiley?) Visibility by the Air Units is unparalleled.

An option in the near future is a banding and possible pouch made from the super 3M retro reflective material (used by GloDog now). For "just" pets the retroreflectives is a great idea and I have been working on it. For the Police it is a bad thing. For the SAR types it is not an issue.

No D ring on the collar.

The entire collar is lamp. It is an electric circuit and as such is much more subject to repetitive stress fracturing when tugged from one spot over and over again. I could have a floating D ring which would climb to the back of the collar where the light is when attached to a leash and that would put stress on the lamp. It would, in time, fail and in my estimate, a long time before it normally would. Many of my collars have been on working dogs for 8 ++ years now. I have seen how some dog handlers yank on their dog's leash ALL the time and when I saw that I made the decision not to include the D ring. The safety collar is really designed to go on over a regular collar anyway. If dog ID is required and that is the only collar worn, then I think a plastic tube containing a phone number and $40 taxi fare IN the battery pouch will work better than a ring for tags and a leash to clip to.

The battery / power pouch.

This is a simple solution. It ain't purty but it works. The switch can be depressed through the material and the battery changing via the zippered pocket is a bit of a pain but not significantly more-so than opening a sealed plastic container that holds the inverter / switch and battery. I have the shells made here near Toronto. My option on that was to go to you-know-where and have a molded container made for $80,000 and order a quarter of a million of them - which would at present sales volumes last me about 90 years! (more grinning smilies needed).

The pouch is not waterproof BTW but the circuit has very little resistance and shorting a 9V battery through water is about 80,000ohms and needs well over 100volts ... so the juice goes through the lamp circuitry instead. The dog is safe. The light still works even if the collar is sitting on the river bottom (see testimonials) so this option - the flexible pouch - to me, beats another made in China option.

The continuous lamp idea.

Tried it. Major pain. The continuity of the lamp has to change to mount the electronics, develops a fold and wear point that can cause premature deterioration of the whole collar. If there's a design that works lemmie know. I've tried two or three and they were a pain.

Battery life.

I've been using NiMH this last year. There are 300m/amp ones out now so the avg collar can run around 7 hrs and then get recharged. You're good for a week's worth of walks and then you can do a recharge which according to the manufacturers of the batteries, is good for 1,000 cycles!! AT that rate the battery should last about as long as the collar - 19 yrs of 1 hour dog walks a night.

The TRACKING HARNESS.

Developed by looking at 5 of the best selling harnesses from the USA and Germany. I added a supportive strip across the back and the harness now provides a light source about the same length as the XL collar but over the back and down both sides. The lamp unit is removable so you can take it off and wash the rest of the harness. I have had people who have had their dogs skunked and ran the collar through the washer half a dozen times. The collar still worked but I do NOT recommend that level of "abuse."

All I can say at this point about the Y Tracking Harness is that I have put it on dogs who have never worn a harness before and they - ignored it ... went back to playing with the other dogs in the park. If the dog is going to act like he doesn't have anything on it HAS to be comfortable. To date all the SAR and Police who have ordered the Tracking Harnesses either already have the collars or ordered a collar too. A lamp around the dog's neck AND one over their back provides a level of safety that has never existed for a dog before.

Thanks again ....

BE WELL & STAY SAFE

DAVE
www.auroralites.com

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks Dave!

-john

cy

Flashaholic

Dave, I'd like to order one for my GSD. can you take paypal?

thanks,

DaveYoungman

Newly Enlightened
PAYPAL

HI. Sorry. Right now I have Visa, M/C and AMEX. I should get PayPal but a few vendors have warned me about some glitches in their system. It may have been earlier on so if anybody can advise Yea or Nay on PayPal I'd appreciate it. I think I can have it up and running in a day or two.

cy

Flashaholic
Re: PAYPAL

Dave, thanks for responding...

I meant sending paypal the old fashion way. please send me a PM with your PP info. with exact amount to send.

if you started a sales thread with paypal info. you'd be surprised at the response.

still need to measure my GSD for correct size.

Thanks,
charles

DaveYoungman said:
HI. Sorry. Right now I have Visa, M/C and AMEX. I should get PayPal but a few vendors have warned me about some glitches in their system. It may have been earlier on so if anybody can advise Yea or Nay on PayPal I'd appreciate it. I think I can have it up and running in a day or two.

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast

A bit off topic, but is dog-gear related. Aeromedix.com is offering Mutt Muffs - dog ear muffs.

I assume everyone already knows about Doggles the dog goggles.

-john

cy

Flashaholic

Dave, still waiting for paypal info to one a collar... thanks,

DogLeg

Newly Enlightened
We live in the ex-urbs (i.e. lots of unlighted open-space trails and fields). This time of year, early evening dogwalks suddenly catch us in nautical twilight conditions, where a Black Lab 100 yards away in 2' high grass/weeds becomes a stealth object.

Have any of you had experience with flashing dog collars? Do they disturb/disorient the dog? I'm assuming that a couple flashing white or red LEDs on a collar would be relatively easy to spot at the 100yd range.

Comments? Brand/Model? Sources?

=================
Follow-up: I checked out some of postings recommended to me in this thread and it seems like the solid winner is the Auroralites Safety Collar.

I thought I'd add this to my original query to help others having the same query.

Last edited by a moderator:

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
DogLeg said:
We live in the ex-urbs (i.e. lots of unlighted open-space trails and fields). This time of year, early evening dogwalks suddenly catch us in nautical twilight conditions, where a Black Lab 100 yards away in 2' high grass/weeds becomes a stealth object.

Have any of you had experience with flashing dog collars? Do they disturb/disorient the dog? I'm assuming that a couple flashing white or red LEDs on a collar would be relatively easy to spot at the 100yd range.

Comments? Brand/Model? Sources?
hi i use one for tas he is a boston
terrier ,it was from pets at home check it out it is so small like a dog tag it does seem to put other dogs out though .how can i send pictures i dont know how yet. regards.it flashes strobe blue /red /white. very good.

Tronic

Newly Enlightened
I have a "Leuchtie" from leuchtie.de on order.
- 30h electronic regulated brightness
- waterproof
- visible more then 100m
- special switch (similar to a quicksilver switch)

Hog

Newly Enlightened
I've got a cheap clip on for the collar made by Pelican.
It has a red lens & flashing light.
It doesn't seem to bother my lab.
I also carry it with me hunting so as to mark trails at night or downed game.
Hog

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tronic said:
- waterproof
- visible more then 100m
That looks cool. Does it make the dog look like a UFO at night?:)

Tronic

Newly Enlightened
Uncle Bob said:
Nite Ize makes the "Nite Dawg" collar that has a flash or glow mode.
This collar look good, but I don't like it because the CR2032 battery source.
All CR2032 collar that I have are only 1 hour bright followed by 50 or more hours of ugly dim light. :thumbsdow

I receive the "leuchtie" on Thursday.
We will see how the 4 current regulated superflux LED perform.:grin2:

:Art Vandelay
If you look at this PICTURES, I would say yes! :laughing:

Last edited:

DaveYoungman

Newly Enlightened
I know this is resurrecting a long dead thread but I recently bought a Leuchtie collar for an comparison. I always buy my competition to compare.

Originally Posted by Tronic
- waterproof
- visible more then 100m

ANYTHING is better than nothing when it comes to safety and this collar is fairly new on the market so a few observations ...

You can see a match in the dark fro 100M so their claim to visibility is grossly inaccurate. You can easily see this collar from several hundred meters away. It is bright but the LEDs are quite directional so they go from shining in your eyes - too bright - to just the glow of the light shining inside the rubber tube that makes up the collar.

LEDs draw a fair amount of power and the lithium cell batteries just don't have the power to last that long. They run about $7 each too so that will limit future use.

The light is steady. That's a good thing. Strobing collars is a great way to check and see if your dog is epileptic but for safety? Not so much.

The "new" switch is a gravity sensor. To turn it off the collar's battery section is placed at the top instead of where it usually sits at the dogs' throat. Dogs shake, scratch and charge through heavy brush when they are playing and / or working. Expect the collar to turn off any time the dog needs to scratch or shake. This has happened several times with my dog testing it.

Overall it is a good solid collar. Has anybody had one for a longer period of time? What about durability especially on a working dog? I think the collars are made in Germany. If they were simply designed in Germany and made in that foreign land where dogs are a MENU ITEM then ....

Anyway ... to date nobody can claim a list like this.

http://www.auroralites.com/users.asp

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think a slow beacon is useful rather than a stead light if the point is to let others see the dog. This situation would be walking the dog at night in a city park for instance. You notice a blinking red light move than a slowly moving steady light.

I walk around a lake at night in the city all the time. I love it when I see a red blink LED on a dog. If I can only see the own and not the dog I'm more like to run into it. If I was on a bicycle it would be even more dangerous for the dog. Even though it's on a lease dogs are never in a straight line from their owners.

If this collar is for rescue dogs then I guess they need illumination. There are a lot more dogs walking in the park at night than there are rescue dogs however.