Recommendations for <$20 EDC

rmteo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks to all who made recommendations. Matt's suggestion (and nice review) of the Ultrafire WF-602C 5-mode meets all my requirements. The $10 price point makes it an incredible value. :hitit:

STi

Newly Enlightened
That one has 3-mode programmable in recent lights, but the description still says 6-mode.
This one has the same 6-mode description, but it was still shipping with the 6-mode (non-programmable) driver, as described, quite some time after the 106 switched over. They may have switched to the programmable driver by now, but don't count on it.

Can anyone confirm if they switched driver in 109? I was thinking of picking one up.

PetaBread

Enlightened
$20 ehh? ..good luck with that.

Save your money until you can spend it wisely.

..or, just get a case of Budweiser and call it a night. :devil:

Exactly, After you get $20 light you wont be satisfied and will just end up getting more and more, then you'll realize that

you wasted so much money on cheapies. Be smart, dont get something you'll just end up throwing in a corner and forget

about.

Last edited:

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks to all who made recommendations. Matt's suggestion (and nice review) of the Ultrafire WF-602C 5-mode meets all my requirements. The $10 price point makes it an incredible value. :hitit:
A word of warning. It's only a good value if it works. If you spend some time reading here on CPF you will find a number of threads devoted to quality control issues with these inexpensive lights. Often times important steps are left out of the manufacturing process, like providing a good thermal path for heat to get away from the LED, resulting in quick failure. Then you are left wondering if it's worth the cost and time involved to return such an inexpensive light.

I'm not saying you can't get a fine inexpensive light, I'm only warning you to go into it with your eyes open to the potential pitfalls. I can't even begin to count the number of threads I've read where a new member bought one of these inexpensive, bright wonder lights only to have it fail after a month. There is a reason they're inexpensive.

Personally, I would highly recommend that you spend a bit more time reading here on CPF while you're saving your money. Then invest just a bit more in a high quality light from a reputable dealer. Just my 2 cents worth.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
Isn't there a 1x123 Dorcy at Target for $15? Been thinking about getting one as a battery vampire, and they're pretty small, to boot.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
Isn't there a 1x123 Dorcy at Target for $15? Been thinking about getting one as a battery vampire, and they're pretty small, to boot.
Yes, the Dorcy Super 1 watt. I think it's closer to $20 though.

They are currently on sale for $22.99 at DorcyDirect.com, with free shipping in the US.

I have 3 of them and they are one of my favorite lights now.

I modified mine with Seoul P4 U-bin emitters and almost doubled their output while preserving their battery vampire abilities.

Benson

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why are you PMing him your recommendation? We would all be very interested in knowing what your recommendation is.
PMed because of some issues going on with a mod at the time. It's been mentioned since then by someone else, anyhow.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I hope the ultrafire works out for you, I have never bought an ultrafire because of the regular bad reviews I have read of their lights.