Recommendations for a new flashlight.

rydude07

Newly Enlightened
I don't know where you heard that but that (the head falling off) has *never ever* happened to my LD20 and I've been EDCing it literally evey single day since Christmas 2009. It is true that to get the LD20 out of turbo mode you do have to loosen the head from its completely tightened down position, but the O ring is plenty snug enough and you only have to loosen it about 10 degrees counter clockwise so that the head is FAR FAR from coming off. Water will not get into the light even with the head not locked in turbo mode.

What you heard is the furthest thing from the truth regarding the LD20 or in fact *any* high performance flashlight that requires twisting of the head to access different modes.

Oh ok. I guess I heard wrong.

I think i am leaning toward the fenix ld20 or the tk20. Any other options you guys recommend or is this the best bang for the buck along with the quark?

noisebeam

Newly Enlightened
if your also looking at the LD20, ill recommend the Quark AA-2 over it.
option of 3 types of emitters, R5 for a wider hotspot, and brighter spill.
R2 for more throw, Q3 (warm tint) for warm tint.:D
Can you tell me more about relative size of spot between LD20 and QuarkAA^2 R5?

I had an L2D it broke, bought LD20 to replace, but it had an even tighter hotspot, so I returned it. On paper the QuarkAA^2 seemed to have an even tighter hotspot than LD20 so I instead bought an a remaining new L2D.

Perhaps my investigation was wrong, there are so many reviews and pictures of beams and variation of flashlight models sometimes making it hard to compare 1:1

rydude07

Newly Enlightened
Can you tell me more about relative size of spot between LD20 and QuarkAA^2 R5?

I had an L2D it broke, bought LD20 to replace, but it had an even tighter hotspot, so I returned it. On paper the QuarkAA^2 seemed to have an even tighter hotspot than LD20 so I instead bought an a remaining new L2D.

Perhaps my investigation was wrong, there are so many reviews and pictures of beams and variation of flashlight models sometimes making it hard to compare 1:1

How long did you have your L2d before it broke? I am just wondering about the quality of the Fenix lights.

1) Again I want a light that will last me a lifetime even after a few drops, and can be used if I havnt used it for say a year or so. (like if it sits in a cabinet without being used and used for when the electricity goes out)?

2) No Dorcys or surefires or others that are the same price and as good as the fenix ld20 and the quarks?

Last edited:

rydude07

Newly Enlightened
What do you guys think of the pd30 or pd20 to compare?

I do already have some duracell AA NIMH 1700 Mah rechargeable batteries...so I guess I should go for the TK or the LD right? Those batteries would be good in these fenix right? and you wouldnt go for the TK11 or TK 12? Would i notice the difference between say 180 lumens and 235?

I think since because I have rechargeable batteries, I wouldnt mind using the higher modes more, and care less about battery life ( i dont want it to be sucky of course), so maybe the TK12 would be good? They are much more expensive than $50 though...but would the extra lumen be worth it for cool factor?
OHh i just noticed the TK11 and 12 dont use AA -____- Any other flashlights like the tk11 and 12 in brightness use AA? lol

The Tk 20 has less lumens than the LD20...why is it brighter?

(seems that these batteries at least when used in my xbox controllers dont last that long -__-)

Last edited:

Kevin1322

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have really come to love the Solarforce L2. Can't guarantee it will last your whole life, but who wants a 30 year old light that can't be upgraded...especially as fast as technology is moving. This thread has tons of info on them: "Show Your Solarforce" thread yet. It can be seen here: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=228693

The great thing about Solarforce L2s is that you can get a good quality light for $20 then put whatever P60 drop in you want from anywhere from $15-$90 depending on what you want (good XP-E for throw, 3 level, pushing 250 lumens for less than $20). Their are numerous ways to customize your light or upgrade it, especially the light output, which is a big one for me. As fast as the LED technology is growing, it makes sense to me to be able to upgrade the light down the road with out having to buy a whole new light each time. Plus you can have different drop ins to use depending if you want a huge amount of lumens or better run time, throw or flood, or a mixture of all. It can use CR123x2 (L2m only needs one), RCR123x2, 1x18650, or 2xAA if you use a small extension. This is what is making this light so popular. A quality light (maybe not a primium, depending on who you ask, but doesn't have the premium price tag either), with a huge amount of options and upgradability. Check it out. If you want to buy one there are places on line. I will be glad to recommend some places should you decide to go that way. Just PM me. Oh, and did I mention it comes in 3 different colors in case you don't want black?

P.S. This is a long thread. My list of Solarforce L2s is on page 27 post #781, seen here http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...228693&page=27
You will notice different switches, clips, lengths, heads, bezels, P60 drop ins, a serious throw head, a lamp head, and every piece is interchangable with other L2 lights.

cistallus

Enlightened
... and can be used if I havnt used it for say a year or so. (like if it sits in a cabinet without being used and used for when the electricity goes out)? ...

vs.:

... I do already have some duracell AA NIMH 1700 Mah rechargeable batteries...

Given that you seem to want a single flashlight, your two statements conflict - NiMH aren't the best for for a flashlight that might not be used in a year, even LSD ones may not be there when you need them.

rydude07

Newly Enlightened
OH NIMH isnt good for that? What about lithium AA batteries?
I mean NIMH should work right, just not at a high level?

Is it only the CR123 that has a shelf life of 10 years?

rydude07

Newly Enlightened
I did some more research and saw the JETBeam JET-I PRO v3. No one recommends it? I like how its small but super bright. The LD20 may be a bit long?

cistallus

Enlightened
I did some more research and saw the JETBeam JET-I PRO v3. No one recommends it? I like how its small but super bright. The LD20 may be a bit long?
I like the specs and reviews on the JETBeam flashlight, it's in my candidate list for an AA light, I don't see anything lacking in it. If you haven't already, see http://www.light-reviews.com/jetbeam_jet-1_pro/ and http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?&t=234520

The LD20 is of course longer since it's 2AA not 1AA - do you have a better idea yet on the length/size of light you want? Where/how would you be carrying it?

rydude07

Newly Enlightened
I think smaller would be better. I would just be carrying it in my hand. It seems that no other single AA battery fenix flashlight is as bright as the Jet pro 1?

The thing that i like about the jet pro 1 is that it is smaller than a tk20 or ld20 yet it has greater lumen output than the tk20 or ld20 and it has 3 light settings as well (vs the tk20) But i think the only downside is how the runtime is no where near the ld20...is that right? Can i really tell the difference between 180 (ld20 )and 240 (jet pro) lumens?

Last edited: