Recommendations for stored emergency flashlights

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whatever you choose, try to use CR123A lithium cells. They have a fantastic shelf-life, AND, most importantly, they are not too popular. In a disaster, the AA and D cells disappear from the shelves faster than bottled water. But there are always plenty of the not-so-popular 123As. Also, people have very few uses for 123As, so the batteries are unlikely to be stolen, unlike popular sizes.

Bror Jace

Enlightened
MikeSalt, that's a good point about the more 'exotic' cells being scrounged up last ...

... but take a look at the original post in this thread. These are kits being put together for a municipality. They are designed to be used mostly by office workers trying to make it through a night or two in a public building without power.

I suppose we could start another thread entitled "Best light for a major natural disaster" or better yet, "Which light for a Mad-Max-like post-apocalyptic scenario?" but that's not really what's being discussed here.

ak645

Newly Enlightened
Hi Ripper,

1-As you probably already know you'll need to order from a supplier that already has a government PO#.I don't think you can just run down to the local Wal-mart and pick up 200 0f whatever flashlights are on sale.For us that usually means that if it's in the Grainger catalog we can get it.

2-I'd forget about large,very bright lights.Whoever needs such a light (utilities and first responders) probably already has such a light.The last thing you need is a bunch of clerk-typists running around an enclosed space blinding each other.

Recommendation-The minimag LED would be great.However they are too nice and too easily pocketed.By the time an emergency came around I'd have to wonder how many would still be available.

So here's what I came up with:

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/itemDetails.shtml

The ROV industrials are tough and reliable.These should make for good interior worklights and at under $12 each can't beat the price.

Then if yuo could convince your purchasing authority to buy 500 Energizer AA L91s you'd be good to go.

Andy
I'm putting together upgraded emergency supply kits for the various offices of our city government. Right now they each have a cheapy 2D plastic incan flashlight, half of which don't work. So I'm looking for recommendations.

1) They can't be outragously expensive. $30 I can sell to the budget committee, $130 I can't.
2) They have to be off the shelf, or nearly so. Dropping LED adaptor bulbs into incan lights is fine, but I have to do 177 of these things, soldering heatsinks together isn't going to happen.
3) They should be powered by a readily available battery
4) Shelf life is important. If I can get 10 years before replacing the battery I'm happy.
5) Long run time is good
6) Bright is good
7) Medium size. Something that's big enough that it's not going to be misplaced, small enough that it can be held under your arm while doing something with both hands.

Right now I'm leaning toward 3D Maglites with Mag's drop in LED. Is there a better compromise?

Bror Jace

Enlightened
ak645, New York State agencies and authorities are allowed to spend $14,999.99 on pretty much anything they want ... it's their discretionary threshold. For the original 177 lights, that'd be almost $85 available per light ... if you really wanted to. :eek:oo:

$15,000 and above you still have a pretty wide degree of flexibilty as long as you document the procurement process, can justify what you want to buy, etc ...

I'm pretty sure Grainger is actually on state contract ... as we buy plenty of electrical supplies from them ... and wow, do they have a lot of lights! :eek:

Your hyperlink didn't work, btw. I was curious to see what kind of modest-performing Ray-o-Vac flashlight would tempt me to shell out $12+? :confused:

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm putting together upgraded emergency supply kits for the various offices of our city government. Right now they each have a cheapy 2D plastic incan flashlight, half of which don't work. So I'm looking for recommendations.

1) They can't be outragously expensive. $30 I can sell to the budget committee, $130 I can't.
2) They have to be off the shelf, or nearly so. Dropping LED adaptor bulbs into incan lights is fine, but I have to do 177 of these things, soldering heatsinks together isn't going to happen.
3) They should be powered by a readily available battery
4) Shelf life is important. If I can get 10 years before replacing the battery I'm happy.
5) Long run time is good
6) Bright is good
7) Medium size. Something that's big enough that it's not going to be misplaced, small enough that it can be held under your arm while doing something with both hands.

Right now I'm leaning toward 3D Maglites with Mag's drop in LED. Is there a better compromise?

Sounds perfect. One more consideration is to get the wall mounting brackets made for them and ceiling bounce it. That or find something suitable to support it to tail stand it on a desk or something if a wall mount won't provide the ideal spot. Also, I would recommend 2D before 3D.

ak645

Newly Enlightened
Hmmm,linky no worky,eh? Try this one:

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/1LEE2

With any government agency cheaper is better and the OP asked for $30 or less.Given an $85 budget my recommendation would have been different.

I would also like to point out this light is tested to be water and dust proof,withstood a 7 foot drop test and is rated for hazardous locations.Also the price is $11.21 not $12+.

I do believe that Grainger is an approved supplier for every government agency in the US.

Andy

ak645, New York State agencies and authorities are allowed to spend $14,999.99 on pretty much anything they want ... it's their discretionary threshold. For the original 177 lights, that'd be almost $85 available per light ... if you really wanted to. :eek:oo:

$15,000 and above you still have a pretty wide degree of flexibilty as long as you document the procurement process, can justify what you want to buy, etc ...

I'm pretty sure Grainger is actually on state contract ... as we buy plenty of electrical supplies from them ... and wow, do they have a lot of lights! :eek:

Your hyperlink didn't work, btw. I was curious to see what kind of modest-performing Ray-o-Vac flashlight would tempt me to shell out $12+? :confused:

Burgess

Flashaholic
to AK645 --

Thank you for the Grainger link.

Looks interesting. Any CPF'ers ever get their hands on one o' these ?

Would seem to fit the bill, eh ?

And the fact that it has a Safety Rating makes it an easier sell.

(even if it's used in the office) (wink)

_

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm,linky no worky,eh? Try this one:

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/1LEE2

I would also like to point out this light is tested to be water and dust proof,withstood a 7 foot drop test and is rated for hazardous locations.Also the price is $11.21 not $12+.

Wowsers! Very impressive light for less than 12 bucks!

Great find ak645 - thanks for pointing out this light. Looks to be ideal for use inside a building during a blackout or similar:
-Waterproof
-Drop tested
-Saftey rated
-Carabiner-style clip
-Lanyard
-High-visibility body color
-Simple switch
-Long runtime
-Output sufficient for navigation and close up tasks

What more could you ask for in a sub-12-dollar light?

The same light in 2D form factor looks very good also.

ak645

Newly Enlightened
Hi ringzero,

Yes the 2D light does look good.The only thing I find a little disturbing about it is the 45 lumen rating from a single 5mm LED.Maybe is mistake and it's actually a luxeon 1W? Does anyone know of a 5mm that'll do 45 lumen output at spec? Or could it be massively overdriven causing short LED life?

I like the fact that the 2xAA specifies Nichia LEDs.

Andy

Wowsers! Very impressive light for less than 12 bucks!

Great find ak645 - thanks for pointing out this light. Looks to be ideal for use inside a building during a blackout or similar:
-Waterproof
-Drop tested
-Saftey rated
-Carabiner-style clip
-Lanyard
-High-visibility body color
-Simple switch
-Long runtime
-Output sufficient for navigation and close up tasks

What more could you ask for in a sub-12-dollar light?

The same light in 2D form factor looks very good also.

Bror Jace

Enlightened
Yep, I'd say that light looks very good for this application. The performance of a Minimag with a 3-LED conversion kit with a highly visible color, lanyard, clip, waterproof, dustproof, safety rating, etc ... For under $12. :twothumbs

For any person to grab in an emergency when mostly they'll be using it for reading and navigating? That amount of life should suffice ... and the 20 run time will get them through at least 2 nights if need be.

Oh, that $85 figure was just for laughs. Buying a high end light for the equivalent of an office first-aid kit is silly.

ak645

Newly Enlightened
Okay I checked the Energizer website and the 2D does use the Luxeon lux1 so that is good.Would make an outstanding light for those who used it a lot.

Still like the 2AA lights better for the emergency reserve application for two reasons.1-500 AA batteries store a lot more compactly then 500 D cells.2-The ability to use lithium L91s which could double run time from 20 to 40 hours,have virtually infinite shelf life,and DON'T LEAK.Don't know if you'd be able to convince the purchasing authority but could try the "green" angle.$11.21 per 4pack at Grainger.Interesting coincidence same price as flashlight.Outrageous price and a tough sell to them what don't know no better.

Doubt you will find many CPFers who've used either one of these.A quick online search showed Grainger as the only supplier and they're strictly BtoB or BtoG in this case.Wouldn't mind trying these two myself.

Should get better price then $11.21 with PO#/bulk purchase.

Andy

Last edited:

paulr

Flashaholic
This claim about lithium cells not leaking is overrated. Every one of them that I've left in a light for a while has outgassed some kind of crap that smells like nasty chemicals, even if there's no obvious liquid residue. That includes every brand of CR123A that I've used, plus L91 AA cells. Also, there are many incidents of lithium cells exploding or catching on fire. While that's a rarer occurrence than alkaline cells leaking, it's worse when it happens.

There's a simple way to minimize leakage hassle: store the lights in the kits with no batteries in the lights. Put a couple of new, unopened packs of batteries in the kits along with the lights. That makes it easy to tell that the cells haven't been used, and also, if any cells leak, the unopened package will generally keep the glop from getting on other stuff.

ak645

Newly Enlightened
Hi paulr,

Who said anything about storing batteries inside the lights? Not I.One could also attach a 4-pack of L91s to each light.The OPs RFP included a ten year shelf life.My solution provides that.Yours does not.An L91 outgassing is not the same as an alkaline leaking.In one case the battery is still usable in the other not.

I am not aware of incidences of venting with flame involving Energizer AA L91 lithiums.Of course what I am not aware could fill a book.Several in fact.Could you provide examples of any such incidents involving the bunnys L91s in storage or inside a flashlight while being used within manfacturers spec?

Andy

This claim about lithium cells not leaking is overrated. Every one of them that I've left in a light for a while has outgassed some kind of crap that smells like nasty chemicals, even if there's no obvious liquid residue. That includes every brand of CR123A that I've used, plus L91 AA cells. Also, there are many incidents of lithium cells exploding or catching on fire. While that's a rarer occurrence than alkaline cells leaking, it's worse when it happens.

There's a simple way to minimize leakage hassle: store the lights in the kits with no batteries in the lights. Put a couple of new, unopened packs of batteries in the kits along with the lights. That makes it easy to tell that the cells haven't been used, and also, if any cells leak, the unopened package will generally keep the glop from getting on other stuff.