Reliable flashlight brands

ruriimasu

Enlightened
Hi all,

I have a few flashlights failing me recently after drops due to my little boy becoming more active around the house. Most of these flashlights were advertised as 1m drop proof. So this really sets me thinking which are the really reliable quality builts to have especially for emergencies. I'm a single AA user by the way. Some of the flashlights I have recently failing on me are:

Klarus Mi7
Manker E11
Manker E03
Eagletac D25A

Some which I have used for years and haven't failed me:

Fenix TK20
Thrunite T10
Nitecore D10 (dropped countless times)

Megalamuffin

Enlightened
If you want to stick with aa's you probably won't find a tougher light than the malkoff mdc 1aa or 2aa.

I have thrown my malkoff md2 on the floor just for fun because I knew it wouldn't hurt it. It's a slab floor with laminated wood, so it's hard.

Vemice

Enlightened
Peak El Capitan (AA/14500) or the Logan 17500 with adapter kit (will run on most anything; AA, AAA, CR123, 17500, 14500, 10440 and RCR123A rechargeable batteries).
Electronics are potted in Thermal Epoxy for reliability, shock and water resistance (from their site).
Made in the US.
The one on the right.
DAAIudkl.jpg

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
Malkoff is the most indestructible and reliable of all, and it also has the best warranty.

My Peak's qtc broke on the first day and the lens was installed crooked so that water can got inside. No help from the manufacturer, only silence. It is possible that I was very unlucky, but the possibility of repeating this with someone cannot be ruled out.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Elzetta, Surefire, Malkoff, Peak, Fenix, Nitecore, Olight, most Klarus lights, old U.S. made Inova, old Gerber lights (LX 3.0 and Infinity Ultra were indestructible).

For single AA lights, the main issues for longevity will be battery used (leaky alkalines, gas venting NiMH), battery compatibility (will it fry the circuitry with lithium primaries or lithium ions?), and heat sinking (especially with lithium ion). Any AA sized light will burn out quickly at 700 lumens if used frequently at that level (Klarus Mi7). Get something with more mass (18650 or 21700) or settle on a dimmer AA light.

daffy

Enlightened
If you want to stick with aa's you probably won't find a tougher light than the malkoff mdc 1aa or 2aa.

I have thrown my malkoff md2 on the floor just for fun because I knew it wouldn't hurt it. It's a slab floor with laminated wood, so it's hard.
I kept throwing my MD2 with m61 HOT as far as i could into the air and letting it drop on asphalt or concrete. Simply to see how long it would last as anything can be broken using the correct method. Took quite a few impacts and eventually cracked optic and broken mcclicky finished it off.

3_gun

Enlightened
My Fenix LD10r5 & LD12(2017) combined have 15 years of use with no failures & both look "rode hard,put away wet" today; still working fine

Megalamuffin

Enlightened
I kept throwing my MD2 with m61 HOT as far as i could into the air and letting it drop on asphalt or concrete. Simply to see how long it would last as anything can be broken using the correct method. Took quite a few impacts and eventually cracked optic and broken mcclicky finished it off.

Now that's some rough use. Another great thing about malkoff is parts are all user replaceable.

ruriimasu

Enlightened
Hi @Vemice

Thanks for your suggestion. I think twisties may be one of the types to less failures as I have just realised those that failed are all electronic clickies.

Do you know what runtimes and lumens I can expect from El Capitan? I can't seem to find a straight answer to this.

JJ
Peak El Capitan (AA/14500) or the Logan 17500 with adapter kit (will run on most anything; AA, AAA, CR123, 17500, 14500, 10440 and RCR123A rechargeable batteries).
Electronics are potted in Thermal Epoxy for reliability, shock and water resistance (from their site).
Made in the US.
The one on the right.
View attachment 23200

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I've had a couple Emisar D4's that have a nasty habit of taking a spill at about 1 meter onto concrete; both have been dropped about a half-dozen times each. The tailcap/head that takes the impact dings up but they've kept on working without complaint or additional damage.

parang

Newly Enlightened
Fraz Labs is the toughest I know of. I could say it is my grail light.

wweiss

Enlightened
The Alpha series from Prometheus /Dark Sucks, is one of the toughest out there. I think you would have to shoot it out of a rail gun and hit a boulder at terminal velocity to kill them.

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want something to survive repeated drops you'll wanna go with potted electronics and acrylic lenses/optics. Malkoff sells a single and 2xAA light called the MDC 1&2AA. Its been recommended here already. Make sure you use either rechargeable NiMH (like eneloops) or lithium primaries in it.