Reliable flashlight brands

ruriimasu

Enlightened
I forgot to mention a budget of $100 and less. 😅

JJ

The Alpha series from Prometheus /Dark Sucks, is one of the toughest out there. I think you would have to shoot it out of a rail gun and hit a boulder at terminal velocity to kill them.

Vemice

Enlightened
Hi @Vemice

Thanks for your suggestion. I think twisties may be one of the types to less failures as I have just realised those that failed are all electronic clickies.

Do you know what runtimes and lumens I can expect from El Capitan? I can't seem to find a straight answer to this.

JJ
Sorry but don't really know. I usually use NiMh rechargeables and as I don't use lights for extended periods of time, I was never concerned with those.
They may be able to give that information at Peak. You can also get the Momentary switch that allows for use as a twisty or instant on.

Lumen83

Enlightened
Many first responders trust streamlight with their lives. They have a good reputation in the fire service industry. Theyre taken into some of the harshest environments strapped to a helmet or jacket and are subject to about as much abuse as a flashlight can take.

daffy

Enlightened
The Alpha series from Prometheus /Dark Sucks, is one of the toughest out there. I think you would have to shoot it out of a rail gun and hit a boulder at terminal velocity to kill them.
Overbuilt for sure but it's a nice light.

Poppy

Flashaholic
There's a huge difference between dropping something at 3 feet, and throwing it into the ground.

Maybe you should keep your lights out of reach of your child until he/she learns how to treat them. If you want a light that your child can throw around and try to break... give him/her a rayovac indestructible. It has rubber cushions at both ends, and it will handle a 30 foot fall. Or getting run over by a pickup truck.

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
The best AA capable lights I have, are the Surefire E2L-AA and HDS Rotary with 2xAA tube. Both are only working without any problem at all with Alkalines, NiMH and Lithium AA (LR92) batteries.
I use them since a long time.

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also remembered, the Pelican and the UK, they are not very afraid of the alkali spill due to the large size of the contact areas and the minimum of electronics that can suffer.

Attachments

• Underwater Kinetics 4.png
    Underwater Kinetics 4.png
    814.6 KB · Views: 118
  • Underwater Kinetics 7.png
    Underwater Kinetics 7.png
    655.4 KB · Views: 125
  • Underwater Kinetics 8.png
    Underwater Kinetics 8.png
    748.9 KB · Views: 111

slappomatt

Newly Enlightened
My experience with nitecore does not mirror you all's. I have had 2X EC30 both fail within months, and a coworker has also had 2 fail in the same time period. I will never buy another. I have had much better luck with ( old ) 4 sevens and Olight. streamlight as well.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
My experience with nitecore does not mirror you all's. I have had 2X EC30 both fail within months, and a coworker has also had 2 fail in the same time period. I will never buy another. I have had much better luck with ( old ) 4 sevens and Olight. streamlight as well.
Will admit that most of the different Nitecore models I've bought over the years have failed on me in some way, shape or form. Badly enough to end up in the garbage can. Biggest exception is their Tube model. Especially the Nitecore Tube V2.0 which has been extremely reliable. Used to carry a Nitecore TIP before switching to the Tube. I could live with the exposed charging port (an issue that the Tube does not suffer from), but the buttons literally popped out and fell off one day shortly after buying the TIP!

So yeah.... Thumbs-up for the Tube. (y)

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Will admit that most of the different Nitecore models I've bought over the years have failed on me in some way, shape or form. Badly enough to end up in the garbage can. Biggest exception is their Tube model. Especially the Nitecore Tube V2.0 which has been extremely reliable. Used to carry a Nitecore TIP before switching to the Tube. I could live with the exposed charging port (an issue that the Tube does not suffer from), but the buttons literally popped out and fell off one day shortly after buying the TIP!

So yeah.... Thumbs-up for the Tube. (y)
I've gotten a surprisingly long service life out of the TIP - about 10 years - to the point that it looks like this:

However it's clearly at end of life: lockout is suspect, I've cleaned out the switches several times lately, and charge duration seems to be perhaps 2 weeks (possibly a function of the lockout not really working). Feel like I've gotten my money out of it, however.

Attachments

• PXL_20220213_050638319.jpg
    PXL_20220213_050638319.jpg
    270.2 KB · Views: 95

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thrunite, I have yet to have a failure or malfunction in any of the lights I have of theirs.

GregP507

Newly Enlightened
I came across the conclusion that the Nitecore Tube is the best EDC light ever by trial and error. I own dozens of flashlights, but I needed one to attach to my vest. My Streamlight was getting dim and it required two hands to turn it on. I tried the Nitecore Tube, and there's no going back. The one I had (probably a 1.0) was accidentally left on too long, and it wouldn't take a charge, so I ordered 3 more online. It works perfectly for all those unforeseen situations when you need a little light.

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's a huge difference between dropping something at 3 feet, and throwing it into the ground.

Maybe you should keep your lights out of reach of your child until he/she learns how to treat them. If you want a light that your child can throw around and try to break... give him/her a rayovac indestructible. It has rubber cushions at both ends, and it will handle a 30 foot fall. Or getting run over by a pickup truck.

I bought my son that rubber armored 2AA Rayovac. Armored front and rear and very handy light!

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I came across the conclusion that the Nitecore Tube is the best EDC light ever by trial and error. I own dozens of flashlights, but I needed one to attach to my vest. My Streamlight was getting dim and it required two hands to turn it on. I tried the Nitecore Tube, and there's no going back. The one I had (probably a 1.0) was accidentally left on too long, and it wouldn't take a charge, so I ordered 3 more online. It works perfectly for all those unforeseen situations when you need a little light.
The Tube is horribly underrated.
I haven't had the best of luck with Nitecore's flashlights over the years. And, that's putting it mildly. But the Tube is the one HUGE exception.