Replacement of the Fenix E11

kas98

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone,

Last week I lost my Fenix E11, which I carried as an EDC. Now I don't know what I have to do: I could get a new EDC of course, but I can also get a Fenix UC35, because I don't have a 'big' light yet. I also saw that the UC35 isn't really big, so maybe I can carry that light as an EDC. I would really like that, since I unfortunatly don't have an infinite amount of money, and I would really like to have a bright light.

What are your opinions on this? Is it realistic to say that I will carry the UC35 as an EDC? Or should I just make a choice between a good EDC and a good bright light?

I really hope you can help me out.

Kas.

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
It all depends on the way you want to carry the UC35 and your tolerances. I have carried a Fenix PD32UE and then transitioned to a modded PD35vn triple XPL every day for over two years. I usually carry it using the holster on my belt on one side of my body, but I do have to shift it around from time to time (when lying down on the couch, for example).

I am very pleased with my decision to carry around a light like that pretty much 24/7 because I really like having the option of getting a lot of power or runtime as compared to some smaller lights. And I am not bothered by having them on my belt much, so they work great for me. So I'm not sure how things would feel to you, but I'd say it's worth a shot. :)

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's personal preference, but you should try pocketing something of similar weight/volume for a bit to see its acceptable to you. There're a few 800 lm Lego-able options that will allow you swap battery tubes for smaller EDC but more limited runtimes. I'm personally am a night vision, runtime enthusiast and prefer combining lower output/voltage heads with larger (16650) bodies, since the low-end mode spacing (where I spend 90%+ of my runtime) is better than my 1k lights, and I can also use any primary battery in a pinch. Then there's also the logarithmic light perception thing, where you need ~4x the output (and battery power) to appear ~2x as bright.... ie, laws of diminishing returns.

Last edited: