Review: Fenix TK12/TK09 (XP-G2, max. 450 lumens, 1* 18650 or 2*CR123)

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review, I like this light, I like the UI alot, no hunting for a side switch. 450 lumens from a XPG-2 in a reflector this size it should out throw the PD35.

Last edited:

beahaven

Newly Enlightened
The TK12 (XP-G2) was my most recent Fenix purchase. A call to Fenix Store got me a spacer ring thrown in for a minimal fee. I really like the light with the spacer ring in place of the grip ring. I wish they would include the spacer ring in the box.

The light seems to be at home in my coat pocket or on my bike handlebar. The XP-G2 gives a nice sized hotspot for lighting up a traffic lane far ahead of me. With careful aiming, the light doesn't blind oncoming drivers.

I just ordered the spacer ring from the Fenix Store. The confirmation email said it is the TK11/TK15 spacer ring. Will this be a problem?

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
I purchased a TK09 and are very satisfied.
I made the photos at home

Left: TK15 S2 - Right: TK09

5D5MVs.jpg

TK15 S2 -TK 09 - PD35

bmfvjh.jpg

Last edited:

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOVE that tailcap (spring?) design. Excellent review.

Are these considered weapon mountable?

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tried again now the torch.
Very happy, beautiful tint, just perplexed on the switch.
The switch is the hardest I've ever seen on a Fenix flashlight, very hard to press, it makes a very audible click.
And 'this normal?
Exchange levels instead it is very sensitive, just touch the button to change the level.

(Terrible translation with Google)

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently picked this up as well and I am super happy with it. This is what I was hoping the Klaus XT11 would be for me. It feels solid and stout, and has a great mix of throw and flood. The simplicity of this light has me wishing all lights were this stripped down. All control from the tail click and no loose tight bezel for different modes to worry about. I am slowly realizing that as far as build quality goes....Fenix is on top in my book. The day Fenix decides to add moon mode, (and I believe they WILL add moon mode) I may not even bother with any other brand. :party: In the meantime, I am experimenting with an Eagletac D25a which is cool but doesn't feel near as solid as my Ld12, and playing with homemade diffusers for my current Fenix lights to get that LOW LOW moon mode that they are missing.
And thanks for the Review KJ2!

Last edited:

kj2

Flashaholic
I tried again now the torch.
Very happy, beautiful tint, just perplexed on the switch.
The switch is the hardest I've ever seen on a Fenix flashlight, very hard to press, it makes a very audible click.
And 'this normal?
Exchange levels instead it is very sensitive, just touch the button to change the level.

(Terrible translation with Google)

Mine is quite firm too, but it is still easy enough for me, to switch modes.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I'll have to get one of these eventually. My TK11 is still my most used light probably and this upgrades a lot of things about that light while still basically keeping the TK11 design the same.

kj2

Flashaholic
I think I'll have to get one of these eventually. My TK11 is still my most used light probably and this upgrades a lot of things about that light while still basically keeping the TK11 design the same.

Design and quality are kept the same IMO. But the output and UI has improved :)

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Design and quality are kept the same IMO. But the output and UI has improved :)

Do you have both? The weight on the TK09 is shaved off a lot isn't it? Is it still as uber-beefy as the TK11 is? I'm always amazed at how thick the walls of the TK11 are. Especially the main battery tube is super thick.

Also I *sort of* wish the TK11/TK09 had an option for a pocket clip. I know the TK15 does that with the larger body, but it would be nice to have the option too in the smaller TK09 size. Are there aftermarket options for TK11/TK09 clips?

I realized Fenix quietly upgraded the TK15 to an xp-g2 emitter. Did anybody notice or get that light with the new emitter? I don't remember that being talked about here on CPF.

Last edited:

kj2

Flashaholic
Do you have both? The weight on the TK09 is shaved off a lot isn't it? Is it still as uber-beefy as the TK11 is? I'm always amazed at how thick the walls of the TK11 are. Especially the main battery tube is super thick.

Also I *sort of* wish the TK11/TK09 had an option for a pocket clip. I know the TK15 does that with the larger body, but it would be nice to have the option too in the smaller TK09 size. Are there aftermarket options for TK11/TK09 clips?

I realized Fenix quietly upgraded the TK15 to an xp-g2 emitter. Did anybody notice or get that light with the new emitter? I don't remember that being talked about here on CPF.

Have to grab the TK11 later today, to compare. Has been awhile since the last time I used it.

AFAIK, there is no (Fenix)clip for the TK09 or TK11. But there probably will be a clip that fits.

I did know about the upgrade, but haven't seen here too.

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes Fenix updated TK15 to XP-G2 - see new catalog in 2015 but the technical data (lux and lumens) are still the previous ones, they have not yet published the new data)
I know that TK15 XP-G 2 is already on sale for several months but the package still shows 400 lumens LED and XP-G

(Terrible Translation by Google)

kj2

Flashaholic
So I checked both the TK11 R2 and the TK12/TK09. The TK11 is a little bit heavier and I do notice it. Weight is in grams.

TK11 R2:
2162fb79876b2250f8af6b44c872bc29.jpg

8463b92c09a2afd692f636cfc050f62e.jpg

c87534996dd2083624d02f1723d7797b.jpg

TK12/09:
6c4223fb7a41744b409c1b4667130715.jpg

fe5d2e1fa53cacb496d1beb2070582cc.jpg

72945f1f42cbbbbca6ac9a0a62c07a4f.jpg

Last edited:

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tonight I did a test with the lux meter.
The results are good, the TK09 slightly exceeds the declared values.
I pointed about 15,000 lux initials.
After several minutes it measures 14500 lux and still no sign of decline.
At the Medium level of 130 lumens I detected about 4500 lux
The TK09 tolerate heat very well and does not have power losses.
I still have not got to try this flashlight well but I am very satisfied.