Review: New SureFire Y300 Ultra - beamshots, discussion, photos

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: New SureFire Y300 Ultra - Discussion and photos

880arm,

Thanks for great explanation of the magnetic retention system, I really appreciate it! It sounds like it would definitely need to be worn OWB.

Thanks again,
Robert

Vinniec5

Enlightened

I was about to pick up either an E1D or E2D Ultra but just saw this review and to be honest I missed seeing it before today. just received an ad from Surefire 10mins ago on the Y300 came here to see if anyone had a review on it. Thx 880Arm very nice review and beamshots, your review and the fact this has a built it magnet and clip sold me + the 500lumen output with the TIR lens. I really missed my 200lumen E2DL defender and the TIR setup. Just ordered it from B+H and will arrive tomorrow. I like the wider lights I can grip and this looks like it will fit my hands (paws) well

Great review 880Arm thx again

curlyfry562

Enlightened

I was about to pick up either an E1D or E2D Ultra but just saw this review and to be honest I missed seeing it before today. just received an ad from Surefire 10mins ago on the Y300 came here to see if anyone had a review on it. Thx 880Arm very nice review and beamshots, your review and the fact this has a built it magnet and clip sold me + the 500lumen output with the TIR lens. I really missed my 200lumen E2DL defender and the TIR setup. Just ordered it from B+H and will arrive tomorrow. I like the wider lights I can grip and this looks like it will fit my hands (paws) well

Great review 880Arm thx again

+1

Same situation and just about to pull the trigger at B&H. That ad just made SF some $$.

Thanks for the review 880Arm

Vinniec5

Enlightened

+1

Same situation and just about to pull the trigger at B&H. That ad just made SF some $$.

Thanks for the review 880Arm

LOL +2

Post your opinion when you get it

SF is getting close on the Niche lights

I like the compact setup with the clip especially the TIR tight focus, been a fan of the TIR Since I had my Led Defender

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast

I wonder how difficult it would be to fabricate a small piece of place holder for the magnet if one wanted to use pocket clip only? seems like any piece of plastic that has holes for the screws and can put pressure on the clip would work?

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast

. . .Just ordered it from B+H and will arrive tomorrow. I like the wider lights I can grip and this looks like it will fit my hands (paws) well

Same situation and just about to pull the trigger at B&H . . .

Glad you guys liked the review and I hope you also like your new lights. I had to send the review sample back to SureFire but I thought enough of it that I bought my own so I guess that's some sort of testimonial. It's different than a "normal" light but if you have the right expectations I believe you will be pleased with it.

Vinnie, I agree about it being easier for some folks to get their paws around. I generally use an overhand grip more than anything and smaller lights give me trouble sometimes. The extra width of the Y300 has been a benefit to me.

I wonder how difficult it would be to fabricate a small piece of place holder for the magnet if one wanted to use pocket clip only? seems like any piece of plastic that has holes for the screws and can put pressure on the clip would work?

It would probably be easier to just remove the magnet from its holder if you don't want that functionality. It serves no purpose in holding the 2-way clip in place.

DSCF08971-702x600.jpg

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast

I should have been more clear, I meant replacing the entire magnet holder to make it slimmer.

Judging from the photos you could not do that and make it slimmer. The battery latch requires the extra distance of the standoffs on the body, a split level on the back of the light would not seem to be a good idea. Looks pretty slim when the bi-directional metal slip is attached, no way to reduce the space without a redesign of the light as far as I can tell. Any peice of plastic the replaces the magnetic one is not going to amount to any significant reduction in slimness as the standoffs are required.

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast

I agree with StandardBattery that there probably wouldn't be much of a net gain from replacing the stock cover with another piece of plastic. I haven't measured it but it contributes only a few millimeters to the overall thickness of the light. There might be a marginal gain if you were to machine off the metal "rails" on the top of the light but then you would have to come up with another way to attach the clip.

Vinniec5

Enlightened

Received just now and I am thrilled already. Testing a few handholds and will be doing a night test late, I like the optics and especially the tint. This looks like a homerun already

880arm it fits great and I think the magnetic clip is the way to go too:twothumbs

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast

880arm, thanks to your review, I ended up buying one and have had it for about 3 weeks now. At first I was skeptical of the 2xCR123 side-by-side configuration. After owning one for a few weeks, I must say, the Y300 feels great in the hand, is shorter than an old E1B, and yet has extra power and runtime being a 2xCR123 lights! Awesome little light that packs a punch! :thumbsup:

I'm still not too sure on the magnet clip thought. I find the light to just be too bulky to comfortable carry in my pocket or on the waistband with the magnetic clip attached. I might give the metal clip a try and see how that goes. My only other slight disappointment is that my Y300's tint is a bit on the green side (not terribly though). I picked up an X300 Ultra at the same time and both lights have nearly identical, slightly green tint.

I have been curious about the removal of the magnet from the base plate if I were to use just the metal pocket clip since the magnet is kind of useless with the clip installed and removal would also make the light a bit safer around my wallet (cards with magnetic strips, etc.). For anyone else curious, I sent SureFire an email and the rep stated that the magnet is pressed in (not glued), but without the magnet, the clip could be slightly loose. There is tiny hole on the opposite side of the plastic holder which might allow one to pop the magnet out. I may experiment with this... :)

In my email to SF, I also had them clarify whether or not the lens is glass or plastic as [at least to me] their website isn't real clear since it states "Impact-resistant polymer; coated, tempered window." The rep confirmed than the optic is plastic, but the lens is glass. :)

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast

Glad the review was useful to you guys. I remember reading somewhere that someone removed the magnet but I don't recall them mentioning it made the clip loose. I may try it myself if no one else does.

Funny you should mention the magnet. After carrying the Y300 one day, I came home and emptied my pockets on the counter like I normally do. The following morning I discovered I had laid the light (with the magnet facing down) directly on top of my wallet. :faint: Somehow my credit cards and access card for work survived the ordeal although I would not recommend doing this in the future!

Vinniec5

Enlightened

I found one handhold that works well for me. Hold the light between your index and middle finger and either use your thumb or the joint of your thumb and hand to squeeze the switch forward while keeping a firm grip on the light. It allows a quick return to the holder and even a quick shove in your pocket if needed. I'm playing with the light mounted forward on my belt to see if it's a reliable enough to use as a scene light or work light

Very happy with the light all around, my only wish would be a swivel magnet mount or Motorola style radio clip but I still like the strong magnet mount as it is

I'm going to get to test the Y300 thurs eve, I will report back on how well it does and I'm guessing it's going to work great

Last edited:

Vinniec5

Enlightened

I like this light better and better each time I use it, for me it's close to perfect. I like the ability to forward mount it and be able to walk hands free and then use it as a downcast light using the magnetic mount for close work then just snap it right back in position on my belt. Many uses for this light in a lot of fields. More to follow....

Jonnyg7lus

Newly Enlightened

I managed to get a y300 in Britain and did a desktop review it's my first flashlight review so please be kind, I did get the low power output figure wrong I said 45 lumens instead of 15. :)

http://youtu.be/Sl3gXnnf3Ac

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast

I managed to get a y300 in Britain and did a desktop review it's my first flashlight review so please be kind . . .

You did a fine job there! I have wanted to make some videos myself but I always get stage fright in front of a camera! :aaa:

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yeah +1 on a nice review Jonnyg ... :thumbsup:

Pops

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
As it turns out, Y300 works fine with 1*16340 and one dummy cell. This gives about 40 minutes until the strong mode drops to the level of the weak mode. Tried with cell Olight 550 mAh