Review of Fenix TK41, with measurements and outdoor beamshots

HKJ

Flashaholic
I am currently trying to decide on getting either the TK70 or SR91 and been deciding for over two weeks now and still have no clue. I know the SR90 is a lot brighter than the SR91 but the TK70 has the lower levels that might come in handy.
I'm looking for more throw than flood so I'm thinking the SR91 or is it really worth spending $200 extra for the SR90?

The SR90 and SR91 I have are nearly same light output, but the SR90 has nearly twice the lux. This is not a big difference when you get out with them as can be seen in this beamshot or this beamshot.

Fatso

Newly Enlightened
Thanks to those beam shots I think I decided on the SR91. The SR90 looks to just have slightly brighter spill but a tighter hotspot. Basicly the SR91 should be easier to carry around than the SR90 and almost the same performance right?

HKJ

Flashaholic
Thanks to those beam shots I think I decided on the SR91. The SR90 looks to just have slightly brighter spill but a tighter hotspot. Basicly the SR91 should be easier to carry around than the SR90 and almost the same performance right?

Yes, but the SR90 has a bit more throw.

Fatso

Newly Enlightened
Is the 90 really worth the extra $200 bucks over the 91? If I held them side by side is there a Noticeable big "WOW" difference while shining at 300 yards? Something is telling me to just buy the 90 instead of the 91 but I can't seem to press the confirm button yet.. LOL..

HELP!!!

monsieurmac

Newly Enlightened
TK41 or ?? (for outdoor use mostly)

Hi there,

I was looking at some of the reviews posted and was hoping someone could guide me in the right direction. I'm looking for a flashlight that could help me illuminate a wide area in a park as our yard backs onto it and I've had a few unwanted visitors this past week. Would the TK41 be a good fit for this purpose or would you recommend a different flashlight?

Post Merged into Review of Fenix TK41, with measurements and outdoor beamshots - Norm

Last edited by a moderator:

Richub

Enlightened
The TK41 is the best thrower of the three Fenix 700+ lumens lights.

So yes, that TK41 will light up those trespassers pretty well, and may even blind them too. ;)

bbb74

Enlightened
I tried my tk41 out in my local park and it easily lit up the entire part of the park i pointed it at - there's no way anybody could hide even if I was half blind. It throws really well but it has quite a lot of very useable flood too. The park was about 100x100 meters.

As regards to blinding them, well I [very briefly] pointed the tk41 at my face in turbo mode (arms length away). Even though my eyes were very tightly screwed shut they couldn't cope with the light and would sting and tear up when I flicked the beam past my face very fast. It had the same effect on my wife at 5 meters range - too bright even with eyes closed tight. I tried it with my hand over my eyes, with my eyes closed, and it was still very bright and I could kind of see my hand ;)

Last edited:

Fatso

Newly Enlightened
The TK41 looks like an awesome thrower. I bought the TK60 and the 40 is suppose to be the same. It lights the whole football field with ease and farther!

holeymoley

Newly Enlightened
Just getting around to reading this...great review! I've been looking for a good thrower and I think I'm sold. Maybe I'll pick one up next paycheck.

SamSpade

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for this review. Along with 2 other TK41 reviews I've seen here at CPF, this one convinced me to buy it ... my first non-budget LED flashlight. I have a collection of Maglite 2D LEDs, with the 1st gen Luxeon III from 4 years ago, to the current Cree XP-E emitters. Thought they were already awesome but realized through this forum that I'm actually ignorant of the current state of the art.

I'm a hobbyist electrical engineer. The graphs you showed were exceptional, and I credit Fenix for keeping Turbo mode regulation down to 3.7 V, or 0.925 V on average for the 4-series cells. That's the sign to immediately recharge the batteries. Using NiMh cells below 1.0 V for extended periods doesn't help with their lifetime, and there's a big chance some of them might have already reversed if the cells were balanced.

Thanks!

mr.lumen

Enlightened
just got a tk41 and the emitter is off center. kind of disappointing from a high quality light manufacturer but oh well what can you do. no black hole in the hot spot.

Samy

Enlightened
It won't make any difference, I have a fairly well centred led but glue on my reflector. It throws with awesome power...

Cheers

TEMPA

Newly Enlightened
Just got a TK41 today. Turned it on in our dark loungeroom and LOL'd at my wife saying "Are you f***ing for real?!?!? That thing's blinding!"

Just the reaction I was expecting because I thought the exact same thing a few minutes earlier when I turned it on!

bruintennis

Newly Enlightened
Just got a TK41 today. Turned it on in our dark loungeroom and LOL'd at my wife saying "Are you f***ing for real?!?!? That thing's blinding!"

Just the reaction I was expecting because I thought the exact same thing a few minutes earlier when I turned it on!

LOL!!! that made me laugh!!!

qtn2x

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the review. I ordered this one and can't be any happier. Very solid all the way.

peterkin101

Newly Enlightened
I took a punt and purchased a TK41 which arrived about 2 hrs ago. Easily the best AA powered Torch I've ever seen. Great handling and a phenomenal beam. Only foible-the internal battery holder is AWFUL...cheap and nasty. Fenix ought to take a leaf out of LED Lensers book. Everything else though is utter perfection. Just enough modes, no silly 25 profiles or connecting to the Internet via 4G, WiFi or any of that rubbish. For the price I paid an extreme and utter BARGAIN!

UrbanLegend

Newly Enlightened
Bought one of these based on reviews. When my wife used it to walk our Boxer dog here in our rural 3-acre yard and adjoining woods/fields, she was AMAZED at its ability to light up the tree lines a quarter mile away on the other side of our neighbor's corn field. And that was only on the high setting! She turned it on Turbo setting, aimed it up at the night sky and marveled at the distance as the beam seemed to reach up almost to the stars!

After a quick tutorial on the tactical uses including the powerful, blinding strobe mode, she asked me to order two more... one to keep in her car and one at work. She works at an 18-acre museum with several buildings and often walks across the museum campus alone at night in the dark. I also got her a Maglight-D belt loop holder which fits the TK41 perfectly, so if she has to use both hands to unlock and open a door she doesn't have to set the light down in the rain or snow. Coupled with a high-end pepper spray, gun, she feels much safer!

Thanks for the reviews and beam shots of this powerful light. Nice job!

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, the TK41 is still a top light. I've had mine for over 18 months and it's seen a lot of use. It looks very second hand and beat up (been dropped onto concrete more than once). The switch covers seem to be holding up well and look only slightly worn, but with plenty of life left in them yet.

I charge the cells up about once a month. It's used mainly for walking the dog, although since I got the E50 it hasn't made it outside. I might relegate it to being the car light, replacing the Malkoff endowed 3D Maglite with it. The TK40 looks utterly obsolete now, compared to the E50 and TK41.

*edit* WOOHOO!!! Post #1111