Review Solarforce L2T - latest in the L2 series

naked2

Enlightened
Re: Solarforce L2T - latest in the L2 series

There is no "forward" or "backward"; the direction of the grip ring is a matter of personal preference. I prefer it just like the picture.

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
100_3106.jpg

The Solarforce L2T , the latest version in the L2 series offered by Solarforce . The L2 series has gained a following among-st flashaholics seeking value for money hosts , either for custom , self built or 3rd party P60 drop ins , allowing for semi custom lights to be assembled that better meet user requirements .

And the latest is the L2T , it is fully compatible with the other hosts in the L2 series and swapping parts should not be a problem , I was able to replace the bezel , tailcap , and head with those from a stock L2 , making the L2T fully LEGO compatible [ LEGO = Parts interchange allowing for customizing the host ]

1003104z.jpg

Pictured L2T body with stock L2 head and tailcap .

1003103m.jpg

L2T with stainless steel L2 bezel .

One of the greatest selling points of the L2 series has to be the LEGO-ability of the lights , allowing people to customize there lights to make them more personal , one should never under estimate the need of people to customize .

1003081l.jpg

L2T as it arrived .. Perhaps a little lightly packaged , but came relatively quickly - not waiting to long is nice .

1003087o.jpg

1003089q.jpg

1003092w.jpg

Very well machined threads .

1003091.jpg

1003099m.jpg

1003093.jpg

100_3098.jpg

100_3097.jpg

100_3096.jpg

1003102b.jpg

Left to Right = Stock L2 with SS bezel , L2P and then the L2T

The finish on the L2T is very mat , and it feels almost dry to the touch , and that seems to offer just a little bit more of a secure feel , as the stock L2 and even the L2P are more slick [ slippery feeling - if I can say that ] , this mat finish just feels warm and secure . The knurling and surface finish are just great , and the anodizing is just so well done , and the internal machining is really good as are the threads . The O rings are nice and tight giving one confidence to get this light wet , and thanks to the O rings , the tailcap and head screw on ever so smoothly and the light locks up drum tight .

The L2T tailcap continues to impress , the clicky is very mechanical and firm [ I like it ] and is of the forward clicky configuration , which should help to endear the L2T with all those who demand tactical features in there lights . I did put in a older XR-E single mode drop in to just test the clicky , and it worked really well , there are no glitches of any kind as the switch is clicked on [ some forward clickies have a small glitch that cause mode changes as you go from momentary on to being clicked on ] .

Overall I was very impressed with the L2T , and I'm very much looking forward to building a U2 XM-L drop in for it , should make for a very nice flashlight . Bottom line , for the money paid , this is an excellent P60 host , offering serious value for your money , I can find nothing to fault with this one , and if anything , it has simply impressed me all to heck !
If your looking for a P60 host , I can highly recommend the L2T from Solarforce .

Stunning!

naked2

Enlightened
Curious, chiphead; why did you have to copy and paste the entire OP to make a one word reply? Wouldn't it have been more appropriate to reply something like "Stunning review old4570!"?

AutoTech

Enlightened
Loving the look of the L2T... So much that I've got one coming now :oops: i was going to get 'host' only but ended up getting it with 5 mode memory xm-l fitted, $33.99! Bargain.

I think I'll get another body soon and then it's time to start DIY'ing cerakote!

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
1003381m.jpg

My 3 ATM ... I hope to see a L2T in HA-3 before I buy more , I think the L2T in HA-3 would be killer ...
Send solarforce.hk a Email saying you want HA-3 ...

Ways

Newly Enlightened
Great review old4570, they look very nice and at that price point they represent amazing value for money.

Erzengel

Enlightened
Re: New Solarforce host - L2T ** Review see post #41**

It is the B6 flat stainless steel bezel ring from Solarforce. It is available at solarforce-sales and Lighthound, just to name a few. Don't mistake it with the flat stainless bezel ring, which disappears completely inside the bezel.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: New Solarforce host - L2T ** Review see post #41**

Today I received a Solarforce L2T with a 1 Mode LC-XPG R5, 3V-18V dropin. I choosed a flat bezel ring to it.
I really like the design of L2T. The knurled head and tailcap, mat surface and rubber ring make it feeling secure in the hand. The rubber ring works a bit antirolling function. The CR123 batteries rattle a bit in the tube.

The dropin is pretty bright, but very cool tint. Then I changed to a Malkoff M61W drop-in and it actually works, which it doesn't with the L2m host. :thumbsup:
M61W is slightly less bright than the Solarforce dropin, but with so much more nice beam.
I think I will keep the M61W in the L2T and use the XPG R5 dropin in the L2m host with the extention tube.

I find Solarforce hosts to be good for the price and in my opinion especially L2T host gives the impression of beeing much more expensive than it is.

Edited: I have to explain I was a bit wrong here. I used the fitting ring for Malkoffs used in MD2 and thought it fitted perfect. But then I discovered it doesn't. The fitting ring actually isn't really perfect in the L2T head, and without it the Malkoff dropin it's loose.
I am sure the problem will be solved with some other ring in the right dimension, however.

Last edited:

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: New Solarforce host - L2T

I agree about the L2T being way nicer than it's price would suggest...in fact, it's one of my favorite lights, and I have a LOT of lights. One thing you may want to consider is wrapping the M61W with some copper tape so it will fit more snugly in the L2T for better thermal transfer. My M61W was way sloppy in the head of my L2T, and I had to put many wraps of tape on the drop-in before it was a better fit. Once I did, I could immediately feel the difference in heat transfer...I'm sure doing that will extend the life of the drop-in greatly. Well worth the price of the tape.

flashlight chronic

Enlightened

The quality and function of the L2T are very good. Great knurling, matte finish and rubber grip ring provide a good grip. I've read that some members don't like the stock bezel because it blocks some spill, but I find that a lens that is too far forward tends to get scratched or broken too easily. The only thing that would make this a true tactical light is if the tailcap switch was a momentary instead of a clickie. To prevent my cr123's from rattling, I rolled them w/ construction paper and stuck it in the battery tube. The paper stays in the tube when replacing your batteries.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast

I agree about the L2T being way nicer than it's price would suggest...in fact, it's one of my favorite lights, and I have a LOT of lights. One thing you may want to consider is wrapping the M61W with some copper tape so it will fit more snugly in the L2T for better thermal transfer. My M61W was way sloppy in the head of my L2T, and I had to put many wraps of tape on the drop-in before it was a better fit. Once I did, I could immediately feel the difference in heat transfer...I'm sure doing that will extend the life of the drop-in greatly. Well worth the price of the tape.

The quality and function of the L2T are very good. Great knurling, matte finish and rubber grip ring provide a good grip. I've read that some members don't like the stock bezel because it blocks some spill, but I find that a lens that is too far forward tends to get scratched or broken too easily. The only thing that would make this a true tactical light is if the tailcap switch was a momentary instead of a clickie. To prevent my cr123's from rattling, I rolled them w/ construction paper and stuck it in the battery tube. The paper stays in the tube when replacing your batteries.

Thanks for your comments and proposals!

Toohotruk: what do you think; aluminum foil should work good also? I have that already in my kitchen but not copper tape.
Also I think about to get an O-ring in a suitable size, slightly narrower than the fitting ring for MD2 but it will be thicker and will well hold the M61W dropin.

flashlight chronic: For the moment I have no dropin placed in the L2T, but what I noticed the tailcap switch of L2T has momentary function. Or maybe I misunderstand you here?
About preventing battery rattling I actually thought about something like that. I will seek for some kind of paper or plastic tube.

Regards, Patric

Last edited:

flashlight chronic

Enlightened

Hey, Swedpat! You got lucky brother. My L2T (S/N: A001067) came w/ a forward clickie. I did'nt know they came out w/ momentary switches too. I"m still searching the hardware stores for a plastic sleeve of some sort to replace the paper in the battery tube. Maybe I need to check the office supply stores as well. Aluminum tape works well for heatsinking and good ground connection ( a problem w/ trying to fit an M61 into a solarforce host). Electrical supply stores carry them.

Last edited:

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast

I used the aluminum soda/beer can strips to better heat sink the P-60 type bulb in my Solarforce hosts. They really tighten the drop ins up and dissipate the heat well.

Last edited:

PhillyRube

Enlightened
Re: Solarforce L2T - latest in the L2 series

I'd like to pickup a couple of the cigar rings.....

blackron

Newly Enlightened
I bought 2 of the rings from solarforce ala carte. Just email them and tell them you want to buy the rings, they'll send you a paypal invoice.

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for your comments and proposals!

Toohotruk: what do you think; aluminum foil should work good also? I have that already in my kitchen but not copper tape.
Also I think about to get an O-ring in a suitable size, slightly narrower than the fitting ring for MD2 but it will be thicker and will well hold the M61W dropin.

Regards, Patric

Aluminum foil will work, but in my experience it doesn't transfer heat as well as the copper tape, and I've had connection issues using foil.