Rope Lighters, modern & antique, pics

B@rt

Flashaholic
Re: Rope Lighter

The ropelighters I have had did have a small iron rod like from a paperclip with a hook that hooks in the rope on one end and a bead on the other. To extinguish just pull on the rope so the bead seals the tube, and presto. ;)

knot

Banned

I have this lighter. Never used. The name (KBK) on there was my grandfather's export business.

dsc00557em8.jpg

I wonder why all the screws on the bottom

dsc00558to8.jpg

***edit- whoa! Mine's in a lot better shape than this and they want $80! http://www.arteauto.com/browseproducts/Sarome-Cruiser-cigarette-lighter.HTML

Theirs has a red "jewel" this one is blue

dsc00559mo1.jpg

Last edited:

oregon

Enlightened

The ropelighters I have had did have a small iron rod like from a paperclip with a hook that hooks in the rope on one end and a bead on the other. To extinguish just pull on the rope so the bead seals the tube, and presto. ;)

Now you tell me.:mecry: Do you have any extra bead/hooks you can sell me?:p

Thanks for the explanation Bart. Much appreciated.

All the best,

oregon

oregon

Enlightened

New production Rope Lighter by Windmill Japan:

P1000645.jpg

P1000643.jpg

P1000642.jpg

P1000640.jpg

I got an ember burning quickly with this Rope Lighter. It has a big friction wheel, with very aggressive teeth, which throws alot of sparks. The rope keeper, looks like a piece of jewelry, gives you a grip to present the rope for lighting and snuffs the rope when you put it away. The lighter comes with 1 rope in place, 2 extra ropes and I bot 2 extra extra ropes.

The roper works so much better than the antique shown above it is a pleasure to use. The idea is flames give away your position so soldiers were issued rope lighters to enable smoking without making the soldier a lit target.

Flints are held against the striker wheel by the long powerful spring. The spring is kept in place by the end screw and it has room for a spare flint. I know because one fell out after I took the above pic when I put it back together.

Functional right out of the box. Thank you Ichiro Matsui at [email protected].

oregon

Last edited:

oregon

Enlightened
P1000652.jpg

P1000650.jpg

P1000649.jpg

P1000648.jpg

This dual lighter, flint with rope and fueled-wick, covers several bases. Covert when necessary with the rope lighter and full flame with the fueled wick side.

The crest says: MINISTERS OF FINANCES circling around the small eagle in the center of the metal crest.

It is missing the rope keeper. The gasket for the fuel door is leather.

Anyone know the manufacturer of this dual function lighter?

oregon

oregon

Enlightened

News Flash: To begin a new rope with a rope lighter you should char the top of the rope with a flame!

I tried this and the rope lights easy easy now. I have the top of the rope near, 1/4 inch or closer, the bottom of the striker wheel and let fly. This lights the top of the rope and not the side like I was doing above.

This from instructions found on Floures site for the Wind-King rope lighter:

"DIRECTIONS : The WIND-KING lighter needs no fuel-
it is the wick that burns! All you have to do is to char the top of
a new wick once by applying a match to it.
After that, all that is necessary is to raise the wick within
range of the spark wheel-about 1/4 of an inch-and turn
the spark wheel. Presto! It ignites. To extinguish, pull the
wick down thus cutting off the air, and the wick ceases to burn."

The above was found at the bottom right of this page: http://www.johnfloresgraphics.com/CLimco.html

Learn something new every day.

I have sent this tip to our Japanese friends who are selling the modern Windmill rope lighters on the popular auction site. Perhaps they will find it useful information for their listing or to include with their rope lighters.

Two lighter collector resources (just found these so I can't vouch for them at this time): http://webpages.charter.net/buylighter/index.htm & http://www.otls.com/

oregon

Last edited:

oregon

Enlightened
I was curious to see what kind of tobacciana (old tech lighters and other smoking related stuff) would be for sale at the Portland Expo's Antique and Collectibles 3 day show this weekend. I needed some rope snuffer balls for a couple ancient rope lighters and was intent on finding them.

Unfortunately I could not even get close to the event. Signs over one mile away said the massive, never before seen even near capacity parking lot, was full. Traffic was gridlocked in all directions about one mile away from the venue. Apparently, you could only approach the Expo by walking, light rail and shuttle.

I did a 180 figuring that if the lot and the roads leading to it were full and gridlocked then the scene inside the building would be sardine like. I had no idea that old stuff was profoundly popular. Thank you Antique Roadshow.

oregon, who is back to surfing for old stuff

oregon

Enlightened
Old stuff heh?
Here's a teaser pic... I'llpost a thread about it soon. :popcorn:
ozzeastimg600x450117688ss9.jpg
:thinking:

That looks like wood burning stove pipe Bart. It can't possibly be a lighter. You had best put your wood stove back together before winter sets in and you get chilly.

oregon

oregon

Enlightened

Bart the magician.

I really want to here the story of your search for these from beginning to end.

Thank you kindly.

All the best,

oregon, who asks for old stuff and gets it without getting off his big white butt

oregon

Enlightened
P1000736-1.jpg

P1000738.jpg

P1000751.jpg

P1000754.jpg

P1000759.jpg

This orange colored rope came with the Bower's "Army Navy" rope lighter. It literally wants to burn.

It burns better than the ropes that came with the Japanese Windmill rope lighter by a large margin.

Why? I can't smell any accellerants or anything besides the smell of old cotton. Maybe it is simply more dry than the Japanese rope.

Hit it with a spray of sparks from the flint and in no time the entire top is consumed in ember.

oregon

Last edited:

Scooter1

Newly Enlightened
B@rt, I have the exact same " Lighter ???" My Father had several lighters in a small collection and this was in it. No name on it and can't tell how it works. Any info would be great.

Latest posts