• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired SALE: JM-PhD-D1 PWM Hotwire Regulator

petrev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Jimmy

:thumbsup:

Absolutely BRILLIANT :grin2:

Just a note . . .
as well as fitting these to your Std. Mods and upgrading them

How about new longer lasting - fully regulated mods ?

You can drive a 2 LiIon bulb (5761) with 3 cells (+)
You can drive a 3 LiIon bulb (1185) with 4 cells (+)
etc.

You can use LiFe and LiMn (cells without protection) and use the Vlow cut-off to save them (about time we got this feature - thanks Jimmy ! )

All in all - a great development

Cheers
Pete

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Jimmy

:thumbsup:

Absolutely BRILLIANT :grin2:

Just a note . . .
as well as fitting these to your Std. Mods and upgrading them

How about new longer lasting - fully regulated mods ?

You can drive a 2 LiIon bulb (5761) with 3 cells (+)
You can drive a 3 LiIon bulb (1185) with 4 cells (+)
etc.

You can use LiFe and LiMn (cells without protection) and use the Vlow cut-off to save them (about time we got this feature - thanks Jimmy ! )

All in all - a great development

Cheers
Pete
This is the greateset benefit of PWM regulation. It's no longer an issue of mAH. But of WH. As long as the battery voltage is greater than the bulb voltage and less than 40V, more cells = more runtime.

pertinax

Enlightened
Guys,

Refresh my memory. Where should I set the low voltage cutoff for 12 Eneloops? Running an 1185, so 10.8 Vout, but Vmin?

Then I know what I want... (I cannot remember the safe low voltage point for a AA NiMh battery.)

Thanks.

Pertinax

Last edited:

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Guys,

Refresh my memory. Where should I set the low voltage cutoff for 12 Eneloops? Running an 1185, so 10.8 Vout, but Vmin?

Then I know what I want... (I cannot remember the safe low voltage point for a AA NiMh battery.)

Thanks.

Pertinax

Generally, 0.9V is the lowest NiMH should go, but I would use 1.05V to 1.15V per cell as the cutoff, because this cutoff feature is for the total of the entire in series pack. As you will see when you remove the cells, they will have higher & lower individual residual voltages.

The benefits of Petrev's point cannot be underestimated. :twothumbs

Roland

Newly Enlightened
I plan to use 6 or 7 D-cells 10.000mah LSD for maximum capacity with a nimh.

A cut-off voltage of 0,9 volt or 1,15 volts sounds a lot capacity wise. Is that the case?

rolltide

Newly Enlightened
:paypal:2 regulators
14.8V 11.2 Both

$87

Thanks for bringing this great product to market at a fair price.

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast

b) Do we need to turn off switch after taking reading, then make adjustment on POT through KIU base hole? I'm not sure what would happen if screwdriver touched side of hole in KIU while adjusting POT if switch power is on, or if there is any problem adjusting POT with power active.

Nothing happens if you short the adjustment screw to ground. I just tested it.

Alan B

Flashlight Enthusiast

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
At 30V 1K will only dissipate 0.9W. So unless you plan to set the output over 30V the 1W should do the job.

Let's see....is this what you did? P=IV & I=V/R so P=V²/R
W = 30²V/1,000Ω = 0.9W
I will be pushing closer to 40V in testing, so I think Jimmy was saying 5W 500Ω resistor as in:
W = 40²V/500Ω = 3.2W - would need 5W 500Ω
OR
W = 40²V/1,000Ω = 1.6W - would need 2W 1kΩ
I think always using a resistor (vs bulb) is the way to go in setting these...but I can at least get started with the 1W 1kΩ

Alan B

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let's see....is this what you did? P=IV & I=V/R so P=V²/R
W = 30²V/1,000Ω = 0.9W
I will be pushing closer to 40V in testing, so I think Jimmy was saying 5W 500Ω resistor as in:
W = 40²V/500Ω = 3.2W - would need 5W 500Ω
OR
W = 40²V/1,000Ω = 1.6W - would need 2W 1kΩ
I think always using a resistor (vs bulb) is the way to go in setting these...but I can at least get started with the 1W 1kΩ

Right. You can go up to 30V output with the 1K 1W. Not sure how many bulbs there are in the 30V to 40V range anyhow. This is the output side simulating the bulb, so the battery voltage is not the issue.

You can use 4 of the 1K 1W in series parallel to make a 1K 4W resistor that will handle the 40V.

Alan B

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Package arrived from JimmyM today. Cute little board! I'll put it under the microscope and take a closer look when I get a chance.

Thanks, Jim!

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Package arrived from JimmyM today. Cute little board! I'll put it under the microscope and take a closer look when I get a chance.

Thanks, Jim!
Oh God. Don't look too close! Your board was one of the first I made. Be merciful.

rolltide

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the quick service. I will adjust as needed when they arrive. I am still not sure exactly which setup I will use them in, so I did not know exactly what to tell you anyway. The main reason I am buying them is because of your excellent user adjustable design.

cnjl3

Enlightened
Had to work a little OverTime today, but when I got home your Hotwire regulator was waiting for me:) I just installed it without checking any voltages (I trust ya!). I made sure that I have a Vbat test point right under the switch seal for later adjustments. I am using the Delghi 3' head and Holy Moly the '625 is one sweet bulb! I will have to order some more kiu socket kits because I used my last one today and I will definitly get at least one more driver(maybe two more) because yeah its that good. I am still shocked at how tiny your adjustment pots are. Guess I will have to buy some jewelers screw drivers and some type of magnifing gadget. Thank you, again for all the hard work that you and Alan and Wquiles have suffered through for the benefit of CPF's.

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad you like it, Carlos.

I have to travel for work next week I fly out Sunday), so no orders will be filled until after the Memorial day weekend. I'll be checking in here frequently though.
I have 90 boards made. Just one more set of 10 to do. I barely have any bridging on the Tiny84s now. Maybe 3 bridged chips in the last 3 or 4 sets. Tombstoning is still present. Maybe 3 or 4 tombstones in each set. They're easily fixed, so I don't mind so much.
In any case. Almost all the boards are built. So come and get 'em!