Erick,
Sorry! I'm burnt!

Hey guys, I'm interested too! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: SF \"Classic\": host to drop in LED light engin

[ QUOTE ]
McGizmo said:
As for KevinL1's target prices, it looks like I modify these reflectors for free as well as provide them at no charge and Wayne sells the McCapsule for below his cost. Uh..... I think I'll pass! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Perhaps I should quit now without wasting further time and efffort. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif It looks like these parts will be available for modders who may not be after the cheapest possible solutions. Certainly if the components were done in lots of multi thousands, the costs could go way down. Not likely.

[/ QUOTE ]

McGizmo,

My apologies if I came across as trying to say "sell them cheap" and I mean utterly no disrespect to the amount of work that goes into fabricating these things - work that many of us have neither the skills nor the capabilities to do.

Since no price has been given yet, what I did was base the estimated cost on that of another similar drop-in mod involving the eSink, eCan, DB converter and Lux3 which comes out to around $50 as a ballpark figure. It's just speculation on my part and not meant to say "I want these things cheap" because good engineering never came cheap. Cheap is $10 flashlights, not $150 SFs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast

This is just too cool. All kinds of possibilities. I guess I better keep my eyes peeled for a 3P, just in case.

That's about the last SF model I thought I'd be buying, next to the Wine Light. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

More great ideas from McGizmo.

tylerdurden

Flashlight Enthusiast

Don,

How does the McR-27 compare to the PR? Is it meant to be functionally identical, or does it have different beam characteristics?

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Hey guys,

I messed around with these things some more and have had success in a G2 and G2Z. I had to extend the anode contact on the PCB in these plastic bodies and the cathode ring does require its circumfrence extended either with a piece of wire coiled and soldered on the perimiter or a thin washer soldered on. Certainly a doable mod but the "universality" is lost; unlike in the case of a metal battery tube or should I say the C2 body. The M2 bezel also works as a host.

One of the cool things with the plastic heads is that the threads go all the way so the reflector screws in snug against the front of the head and stays that way. Since the reflector doesn't float, more care is needed in assembly to keep the LED centered in the reflector. No big deal and unless you want to change out the LA, battery changes can be done from the rear anyway. I like the C2 with the 5W as it's a nice size and the beam is between the KL4 and KL5 in angle and spot size. I have a two stage switch installed in it and it's pretty nice. In the G2Z, I have left a LuxIII and DB917 and out of concern for thermal build up. I put in a two stage switch with a 30 ohm resistor. The low is brighter than I would normally have but I believe this would allow the G2Z to be operated on low more of the time and put less thermal demand on the LED engine. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif Man, I just love messing around with this stuff and I'm sorry that it is not all available at reasonable prices and in TK format.

Tyler,
The McR-27 is to the best of my knowledge using the same focal length parabolic surface as the original PR reflectors. Certainly the beam patterns are indistinguishable. I think it might be a bit brighter or more reflective. As I think I stated elsewhere, I'll let someone else be the judge of that. BTW, I dropped ne of these McCapsules, contact PCB's and modified reflectors in the mail to you this afternoon. I look forward to your "use" of it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

akula88

Enlightened

Don,
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
My only concern is that some "other" project /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif gets "delayed" on some other "concerns" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sssh.gif I'm holding out for the Aleph-3, but I think I being drawn to this... I have a Z3 and 6P waiting for "unobtainium KL5"

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast

Don, I'm content just knowing you're having fun. Like Johnny, I don't want to distract you from your other projects, by demanding a copy of everything you show us. But, it's difficult. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

As the demand keeps going up for a limited number of handbuilt custom lights...what people are willing to pay is going to go up too.

You've only got 168 hours per week and making sure Britt gets his Delrin L1 switch button, TK McE2S, and SF Classic 3P drop-in McModule all at proletarian prices is just too much demand on your time at wages I'd pay to have my lawn mown.

Fiddling and putzing in your shop and coming up with these cool examples of ingenuity and imagination is healthy for ya. Thanks for showing 'em to us. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

impact_blue

Newly Enlightened

Hey Don,
If this comes to fruition further than this example - awesome!! As you say the 6P is really the interesting one as in the classic body - this is the most common... I'm looking at a different solution to this issue at the moment, but a drop in module & reflector would be shweeeeeeeeeeeeeettt!!!

As I said, if this is simply you mucking around, then we appreciate it - though if it is more, and it can be adapted for 6 volts.. well to be cliched - I'm interested!!

Thanks,
Nathan

tylerdurden

Flashlight Enthusiast

Gee, I thought I was interested before, but now I'm REALLY interested. This will get some serious testing in my M2 and 6P. Thanks, Don.

ErickThakrar

Enlightened

Don, no need for an apology, I was being sarcastic:)

Really, I should apologize. I did not mean to come across as being pushy about this. Merely curious and very interested. I am however hampered by a constrained budget and therefore, while very interested in this module, I may not be able to afford it if it's more than a certain amount. That does not mean however that I don't appreciate the efforts you go to in order to make these mods. Your stuff has always amazed me.

tylerdurden

Flashlight Enthusiast

Don, I got the package today. The capsule is smaller than I had imagined. The reflector fits fine in both my 6P and M2, though it doesn't "float" in the M2 bezel, as the shock isolation material keeps it snug against the inside threading. This may be a plus in some peoples' minds, I suppose. Not sure what impact that will have on heat transfer.

Unfortunately, my pesky "day job" has dumped on me and I probably won't assemble this until later this week. When I do, though, there will be a report (with pictures).

tylerdurden

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, I put this booger together. Some notes:

1) Assembly was harder than I thought it would be. I had forgotten how much of a help the ecan is. Messing with a seperate battery contact PCB is a big pain. This would have been easier if I had used stranded wire instead of solid wire, though.

2) Potting things like this without an ecan is a mess. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

3) My 6P bezel doesn't screw all the way down with the McCapsule installed. It's about 1-2 mm off.

4) The M2 bezel doesn't have this problem because the shock isolation lets the reflector move up more into the head, giving the capsule more room before bottoming out. On the other hand, the shock isolation may remove a major thermal path. More testing will be needed to see if this is significant or not. Likewise, I don't know if this package will be able to provide enough thermal relief for a 5-watt for long runtimes. I'll have to build another with a 5-watter and see. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

5) I thought centering was going to be a pain, but the great thing is the reflector sort of self-centers when you screw the bezel down. As long as you get the emitter "pretty close" to centered, you should be OK.

6) The reflector scrapes the outer edge of the top of the McCapsule, wearing the HA off a bit. Not really a problem, just an observation. I don't know if this is correctable or not.

7) When the bezel is unscrewed, the reflector backs out a little, which means you have to screw it back in before replacing the bezel. Not a big problem, but a minor annoyance.

Overall, I really like this mod, but I didn't like building it because I've been spoiled by the ecan. Once the McCapsule was complete, though, I didn't care about the build process. Now I have a reason to use that old 6P! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Some pictures:

HPIM1609.thumb.jpg
[larger image]

HPIM1614.thumb.jpg
[larger image]

HPIM1617.thumb.jpg
[larger image]

HPIM1619.thumb.jpg
[larger image]

HPIM1623.thumb.jpg
[larger image]

jtice

Flashaholic

Tyler, very nice /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I was thinking of getting an M2 head for my L5 body for one of these.
Nice to hear you input on it.
Now, what about some beamshots etc? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

I like the looks of the M2, so I might have to get one of these setups soon.

tylerdurden

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, the beam looks just like a PR head. I built this with a TX0K and DB917, and the beam is (of course) whiter than a P60, and it's about the same brightness overall. I think it will outthrow a P60, but I'll have to play with it outside tonight to see. Of course, the P61 is much brighter than the McCapsule.

BTW, this thing does not seem to want to work in a E2C.

As for the M2, the shiock isolation really isn't necessary since there isn't a fragile bulb, and it may cause heat buildup (the isolation material appears to be an insulator). I've ordered a C2-HA head to play with.

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Tyler,

Good point that thehead does not bottom out on the tube with this mod. There is no efect on seal and function but the looks are changed. If you use 22 or 24 gauge stranded wire, I believe you will find the contact PCB is much more manabeable.

Others, this is not a DIY project unless you have or can modify the PR reflector accordingly. This is a project for those with lathe access.

kj

Enlightened

With helps from Don, I created the McCapsule page including the build instruction. I'm not sure if this thread is the proper place to post because it doesn't contain the information on the modified reflector for the SF bezel, but, here you go /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

McCapsule page

ErickThakrar

Enlightened

Wow, kj, that's excellent. You just convinced me I need to make one of those...Now to pick out a converter board....