Shanghai Daheng DHL GB-100 100mW 532nm Laser Pen - Eval Report

B@rt

Flashaholic
Thanks Lew, glad to learn I can safely clean it. :)

Obviously I haven't looked inside, so I can't comment on that. My observations are purely visible. ;)

When looking at the dot you can see it isn't round, but starshaped, as my picture shows.
There also is a faint round sidespill visible from light bounced of the sides of the aperture, and some speckling.
I hope cleaning the lens will fix it... :shrug:

Lew Fong

Newly Enlightened
Bart....I hope so too! Shouldn't be a problem.

Chris...I just heard back from Shawn. He says you can go ahead and ship it back to him directly and he will replace it for you. Shawn is a good guy.

I'll send you a PM as well.

Cheers,

Lew :grin2:

Tropmonky

Newly Enlightened
Hello all, I got one of these off Ebay before they closed down all the high power lasers on the site... I have to say this thing lives up to it's power settings, I have a 100mw. The overall build quality is slightly above average when it comes to cost effective units. I DO like how the batts aren't loaded from the back of the unit. Divergence doesn't seem to be the greatest, but not that bad. I can pop balloons easy up to around 7-10ft with no lens.

As far as people commenting on the heat/pain when pointed on skin, this varies GREATLY depending on the color/tint of your skin. For instance, I have pretty olive colored skin, but the underside of my forearms are quite white, and the laser only is WARM at that spot. But when I hit a dark MOLE, DAAAAMN it's hot within half a second... And I mean burning hot, :D.

Matches are lit quite easy from within a foot or so and no lens as long as the match head is sharpied black.

I personally was looking for an inexpensive high power laser for my Lasersaber from lasersaber.com and this one fits perfect and works perfect with them. MUCH MUCH cheaper than a WL and gets the job done!

The unit does start to warm up with usage as with any SMALL high power laser device. I'm starting to think that the 80mw might have been a better choice for me with the Lasersaber so that I don't worry about the heat as much with prolonged usage, but I love the burning power of the 100mw.

REMEMBER TO USE EYE PROTECTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
For Greenies I use these http://www.toolbarn.com/product/dewalt/DW0714/?ref=base
They are a little darker than the more expensive glasses out there, but at around $10ea they can't be beat.

Overall opinion of the unit: I love it, however am still considering getting a higher quality greenie in the future. For now I'm wanting to get a high power RED laser pointer that will fit my LaserSaber. So far I think I'm going to have to build my own, but it has to fit the LaserSaber so I can't use the sweet looking LED flashlight trick..... DOH..

K-

dirtbikepilot

Newly Enlightened
I'd like to send a big thanks out to Lew and Shawn. I sent the old one back to Shawn and he's exchanging it for me. He even shipped the new one out a week before he will get the old one back. :thumbsup:

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I just got mine and I have mixed feelings.
It's bright as all get out but I'm not crazy about the construction.
Putting the threads in the middle of the casing seems like a weak design structurally and I think it adds to battery rattle/wobble. I added some little Post-It Notes inside the battery compartment and that greatly reduced the wobble but the larger diameter around the body join still makes putting it into and taking it out of shirt pockets a little awkward. I also don't like that the warning sticker mentions neither the class nor the power.

I have no way to take measurements but it's supposed to be 110mW which I'm guessing is peak. My previous greenie was a 30mW and it could produce enough light to read by when doing a ceiling bounce test in the dark but this one literally lights up the entire room. Reading book titles on a shelf 6-feet away is no problem. Even in daylight, with no room lights, a ceiling bounce produces enough peripheral light to be noticed.

My coworker bought a greenie at a local flea market that was advertised as 130mW and it looks just like the one in Bart's comparison pic above only it's matte silver with chrome. With lithiums, his can burn through the bottom of a black plastic Solo plate (the thinnest part) in about 5 seconds. With Duracell ProCells, mine can do it in about 6 seconds and in two bursts of 15 seconds each, I can burn through the thicker bowl of a black plastic spoon. Both can pop balloons and both can make pinholes in electrical tape but neither one will cut the tape "like butter" as some others have claimed.

Shining it on his own hand, an other coworker burned himself with mine in about 4 seconds (Hey, I warned him).

The main difference between these two, though, is the beam. At 15 feet or less, mine produces a single dot. Without goggles I can't tell if it's a round or an oval dot but it's a single dot with the usual expected scatter. His produces a dot which is always un-centered within an oval corona of dimmer green light. And when I spin the pointer along its long axis my dot doesn't change noticeably. But when he spins his you can see the oval corona spinning along with it. Hard to describe but once you've seen one you know it. My old 5mW from Z-Bolt exhibited the same thing. It's almost like the corona of a reflectored LED except that it doesn't gradually fade from light to dark. It's just a constant even-brightness oval corona with an intense dot in the not-so-center. My coworker says his is more powerful and it probably is but he sure envies my beam.

Last edited:

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
So after a week of pocket carry, the writing is coming off of the warning sticker.
The pen might be high-quality but the sticker sure ain't.
:p