• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Shark Buck

jasonck08

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, I'm interested in a Shark Buck for automotive use to drive two P7's at 3Amps each. The input voltage will be between 12v and 14.5v. Will this be ok?

Does the shark buck need its own heatsink?

Has the new shipment that has thicker copper arrived yet?

9x23

Enlightened
Hello Wayne

I'd like to use a FM 8AA adapter in serial/parallel arrangement with this driver, which effectively provides 4.8v from 8AA eneloops batteries. Will this driver provide 3A regulated to a P7 led with this power setup?

Thanks!

9x23

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello Wayne

I'd like to use a FM 8AA adapter in serial/parallel arrangement with this driver, which effectively provides 4.8v from 8AA eneloops batteries. Will this driver provide 3A regulated to a P7 led with this power setup?

Thanks!

9x23

That's cutting it close. That should work assuming the Vf of the P7 is below 3.5V.

UPDATE on new batch.

I've got the new batch of boards and they are the correct copper thickness and I've bench tested one with 2.8A output and the IC rose to 110F. The board was mounted to a full aluminum version of the heatsinks I sell on the shoppe and it had no problems keeping the copper C near room temperature.

There are some boo boos I made which are all minor. I need to flip the diodes around as I placed them on the PCB layout this way and didn't notice it till now. I adjusted the fixed resistor to increase the trim pot to achieve 100% full power and I went the wrong direction. One other resistor is loaded in the wrong location.

These fixes along with soldering on the copper C will mean the boards will trickly out slowly as I hand re-work some of the lot and see about getting the CM to rework the rest. Depending on the quote or price to rework will depend on whether the full batch will get done it a timely mannor or I'll have to rework them in batches.

Wayne

TexLite

Enlightened
Is the price going to stay at $58.00?Or will it drop down to the first run price?

Thanks,
Michael

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you are looking at the Shark Buck with Remora (Assembled Shark Buck).

The converter board only is called SHARK Buck.

Wayne

TexLite

Enlightened
I think you are looking at the Shark Buck with Remora (Assembled Shark Buck).

The converter board only is called SHARK Buck.

Wayne

ohgeez.gif
Doh!

Thanks Wayne,yes indeed I was.I've looked at that page a million times,I don't how I managed to miss that this time:crackup:.

Looking forward to snagging one of these.

Thanks,
Michael

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello Wayne

Thanks!

9x23

I did some testing and I found the converter needs about 2V of headroom to stay in regulation. So, for this configuration a min of 5.5V is needed to run full power.

I do not know why this is the case and I will look into more when I get a chance.

Wayne

Ms_SS

Enlightened
Luckily only nine 1oz SHARK Bucks were shipped. Please return them to the Shoppe for a swap out with the 2oz Shark Buck. Orders 15369, 15371, 15372, 15380 and 15407 may be affected. Send an email please. Thank you.

Last edited:

wquiles

Flashaholic
Luckily only nine 1oz SHARK Bucks were shipped. Please return them to the Shoppe for a swap out with the 2oz Shark Buck. Orders 15369, 15371, 15372, 15380 and 15407 may be affected. Send an email please. Thank you.

You and Wayne provide "excellent" customer service - bravo ;)

Will

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Was it verified that the Shark Buck will run 4 X P7's in series?

I will ship back both 1oz. Shark Bucks I have. One is epoxied to the heatsink. I will remove it but can not guarantee that it will not get destroyed in the process.
Wayne, I sent you a picture in my last email of what I am talking about.

I will Email you for a return address.

Thanks again..:wave:

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Was it verified that the Shark Buck will run 4 X P7's in series?

I will ship back both 1oz. Shark Bucks I have. One is epoxied to the heatsink. I will remove it but can not guarantee that it will not get destroyed in the process.
Wayne, I sent you a picture in my last email of what I am talking about.

I will Email you for a return address.

Thanks again..:wave:

Yes, I wired 16 Lux3s to create a simulated load of 4 P7s and I had no trouble driving it with the corrected Shark Buck.

No worries about removing the Shark Buck and if it will still work or not afterwords. I'll need it to generate the exchange and it doesn't matter what the condition of it is.

You can return it to the address on the package if you still have the package or send us an email and we will get you the return address to send it to.

Wayne

1-3-2-4

Newly Enlightened
thanks wayne one other question do I need a heatsink with the shark buck for use in a auto for it connected to the reverse lights?

does it heat up quick or can I pass?

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Heatsinking is required.
Use some thermal adhesive and mount it to a chunk of aluminum or if you can find an area on the metal frame of the car that will transfer heat sufficiently.

1-3-2-4

Newly Enlightened
ok I have a heatsink I can use for it.

my order was shipped yesterday ordered the 3A version..

I will be driving 2 p7's with it however I think I will turn the level down just a bit.

also one more question would the shark buck fit on a 40x40mm heatsink?

Last edited:

Shsesc

Newly Enlightened

bluecrow76

Enlightened
You would probably be better off picking up a Shark Buck with a Remora as its a "supported" solution.

I think that if you tried to rig something up using the drivers that Netkidz used, you would have to remove the regulators from the board so that you are just getting the PWM signal from the microcontroller piped into the Shark with no extra current.

Shsesc

Newly Enlightened
bluecrow76, thanks for replying.

The Shark Buck would come before the other driver, that's the whole point, I need to lower the voltage getting to the 16 mode driver because it's optimum input voltage is 5V and the 2 Li Ion batteries provide 8.4V max, 8 AA batteries in series in a holder I found here... http://theledguy.chainreactionweb.com/product_info.php?cPath=48_56_73&products_id=590
Provide 12V max, less using NiMH.

My goal is to have maximum battery versatility I would use my Li Ion batteries normally, but switch to NiMH when the Li Ions could not be charged. I could use 2 of any Li Ion battery that fits, or use two aventrade holders with 14500s in them .

I saw the Assembled Shark Buck with the Remora, I considered it, but I want the other modes offered by the other board.

I think it would work I just need to know what the output voltage of the 3A Shark Buck is with 8.4V and 12V inputs respectively.

Also is the output of the 3A Shark Buck adjustable down to 2.4A using the trim pot, or do I need to swap out sense resistors? Do I even need to lower the output current to prevent overloading the 7135 boards or will the other drivers take only what they need?