Should I get a SL Strion?

redledz

Newly Enlightened
Hello CPF'ers. I am looking for an incandescent that is very bright, small, and rechargable. It appears that the SL strion may be the answer. Is there anything (mod or stock) out there that rivals the strion with that criteria?

GadgetTravel

Enlightened
redledz said:
Hello CPF'ers. I am looking for an incandescent that is very bright, small, and rechargable. It appears that the SL strion may be the answer. Is there anything (mod or stock) out there that rivals the strion with that criteria?

Welcome to the forum. Does the flashlight have to be rechargeable or can it take rechargeable batteries (charged on a charger outside of the light)? If rechargeable batteries will work you could also consider the Streamlight TL3 or the Surefire 9P which is very bright with the optional high output lamp available for it.

redledz

Newly Enlightened
hi Gadget. Rechargeable batteries from a charger is fine. I thought about the SF9P with a P91 bulb I think it is. Now that I look at the dimensions, the 9P is only about an inch longer, but I wasn't sure what kind of rechargeables would run the 9P with P91 lamp.

Tuna

Newly Enlightened
Might want to look at wolf-eyes flashlights (more flood type of a beam). Strion's greatest strength is its throw. There are several wolf-eyes lights close to strion size that are a little more affordable and use rechargeables. I personally was not that crazy about the strion beam and ended up selling it but there are plenty of members on this forum who swear by the strion. Below is a link to a wolf-eyes dealer that has sold to many CPF members and provides a discount. Good Luck!

http://www.pts-flashlights.com/

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
You should be able to run 2x17500 cells on a bulb intended for 3x123 cells. Protecteds would be best, but I have no idea if they will fit into the Surefire tube.

The cool thing about the Strion is it has very impressive throw for such a small light. Probably twice as much throw as a P61 lamp.

About the only incand light I still run is the Streamlight TL-3 on 2 x17500 cells. I've bought and sold 2 Strions. First one I just didn't grow to love the beam. The second one was after I already had my TL-3 but before I switched to rechargeable cells in the TL-3.

For me, the TL-3 is about perfect.

Having said that, if possible tint issues aren't a major stumbling block, the Luma M1 Hunter has almost as much throw as the Strion or the TL-3, but the stability of LED, 4 times the runtime when using a rechargeable 18650 cell and the ability to click over to high and get 20+ hours of runtime.

GadgetTravel

Enlightened
cratz2 said:
You should be able to run 2x17500 cells on a bulb intended for 3x123 cells. Protecteds would be best, but I have no idea if they will fit into the Surefire tube.

The cool thing about the Strion is it has very impressive throw for such a small light. Probably twice as much throw as a P61 lamp.

About the only incand light I still run is the Streamlight TL-3 on 2 x17500 cells. I've bought and sold 2 Strions. First one I just didn't grow to love the beam. The second one was after I already had my TL-3 but before I switched to rechargeable cells in the TL-3.

For me, the TL-3 is about perfect.

Having said that, if possible tint issues aren't a major stumbling block, the Luma M1 Hunter has almost as much throw as the Strion or the TL-3, but the stability of LED, 4 times the runtime when using a rechargeable 18650 cell and the ability to click over to high and get 20+ hours of runtime.

I agree about the TL3. That is one impressive light. The very nice thing about the TL3 and for that matter the SF 9P is that they will run on either rechageables or primaries. So while I have a couple sets of rechargeables that I run my TL3 on when I was traveling in an area with no electricty I carried primaries and a spares carrier with two extra sets of batteries.

Some differences between the 9P and the TL3. The TL3 is a bit lighter and smaller but doesnt have quite as solid a feel (the 9P, like all SFs is a bit like a textured steel pipe ;) ), the Surefire with the P91 is insanely bright, more so than the TL3 and has a little bit nicer beam but perhaps doesnt throw quite as far as the TL3. The TL3 on the other hand behaves a little better with rechargeables. Pilas work in my 9P if I double click. Protected rechargeables dont work in it. Either work in the TL3 without double clicking. Lastly, the TL3 has a run time of about 60 minutes if I recall correctly. The 9P/P91 is more like 20 minutes; for some applications a real significant difference.

Based on the above, I always have a 9P around the house. But if Im traveling and want a light with that much punch, its the TL3. Depending on your application, you cant go wrong with either.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why not a SureFire E2E with the Lumens Factory EO-E2 bulb? It can't get smaller than that... It won't be as bright as a 9P with the P91, however this flashlight is a giant next to the E series and the discharge curve will be flatter on the E2 with the E0-E2 on 2xRCR123.

GadgetTravel

Enlightened
Outdoors Fanatic said:
Why not a SureFire E2E with the Lumens Factory EO-E2 bulb? It can't get smaller than that... It won't be as bright as a 9P with the P91, however this flashlight is a giant next to the E series and the discharge curve will be flatter on the E2 with the E0-E2 on 2xRCR123.

Hmm, interesting thought. He said real bright so I didnt think of the E series. Even the high power lamp in the E series pales next to a TL3 or a Strion.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
GadgetTravel said:
Hmm, interesting thought. He said real bright so I didnt think of the E series. Even the high power lamp in the E series pales next to a TL3 or a Strion.
I didn't suggest him to use the stock E series lamp. I said Lumens Factory bulb for the E series, which is a MUCH brighter high-quality aftermarket bulb designed to run on rechargeables. The LF EO-E2 bulb SMOKES the strion bulb by a good margin, there is no contest here.

Last edited:

avusblue

Enlightened
The Strion is on my all-time favorites list. It offers a great balance of brightness, runtime, size, value, quality, and ease of use. It is very bright, and is focusable to change from powerful spot to useful flood.

While the lights mentioned above are undoubtedly good performers, a unique thing about the Strion is its elegant and easy charging system. I appreciate the convenience of a "drop in" cradle charger that makes it a cinch to recharge in your vehicle or at home, as opposed to having to fumble around with removing batteries, put them in a charger, and replace them.

Best of all, the Strion is very reasonably priced considering all you get.

I always have an Arc AAA on me. I have a Strion on or near me 90% of the time. And those two together, meet practically every light need I have.

Cheers,

Dave

PS - as a side note, the Ripoffs CO-63 pouch holster works great as a clip-on, and the Bianchi Accumold 7326 is perfect as a belt holster for the Strion.

GadgetTravel

Enlightened
Outdoors Fanatic said:
I didn't suggest him to use the stock E series lamp. I said Lumens Factory bulb for the E series, which is a MUCH brighter high-quality aftermarket bulb designed to run on rechargeables. The LF EO-E2 bulb SMOKES the strion bulb by a good margin, there is no contest here.

I should read more slowly. Sorry about that. Im not familiar with those bulbs, I will have to check into that myself. Thanks for the suggestion!

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't know what your needs might be, but I just got a Strion yesterday (though I've used them several times since they were introduced.) In terms of convenience, value, and performance, I'd have to agree with avusblue. For myself, the Strion replaces a TL-2 (and other 2xCR123 lights, I've gotten tired of the inconsistency from the Chinese batteries,) and is a compromise to something smaller than a Stinger. In terms of price, it is about the same or less than converting a primary battery light to use rechargeable batteries. And on top of that, you would have a factory warranty to back up the light (which is of value to me, since my local SL dealer usually repairs the light while I wait.)

The battery is about 20 by 72mm and is a protected LIon battery (I suspect a 18650) encased in plastic with the proprietary SL contacts at the top of the battery. The switch is located entirely ahead of the battery. The tailcap just houses a button that pushes the battery forward so that it makes contact with both poles to complete the circuit. It feels a little funny when you first use it, because you can hear and feel the battery coming back when you release the tailcap button. The light will extinguish itself suddenly (without warning) when the battery requires charging, rather than just dimming; that is characteristic of the protection circuitry, so if you are sensitive to this kind of performance as some members here tend to be, you should be forwarned. Charging time is stated as 2.5 hours, though it is usually less unless the battery is fully discharged (at least to the point where the protection circuitry shuts the battery off.) You should also be aware that 0V on this battery is not an indication that the battery is damaged or dead, just that the protection circuitry has kicked in; the voltage level will come back after charging.

redledz said:

redledz

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the information here guys. That E2E with lumens factory bulb is very interesting. Is that E0-E2 bulb under the D26 4 series? I think I'm going to research the Wolf Eyes lights some more also. After Tuna suggested them, I went back to FLR and thought, dang I completely overlooked these lights and PTS has several more that are affordable and compact.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
redledz said:
Thanks for all the information here guys. That E2E with lumens factory bulb is very interesting. Is that E0-E2 bulb under the D26 4 series? I think I'm going to research the Wolf Eyes lights some more also. After Tuna suggested them, I went back to FLR and thought, dang I completely overlooked these lights and PTS has several more that are affordable and compact.
Is that E0-E2 bulb under the D26 4 series?

No. The EO-E2R (AKA Extreme High-Output bulb for the E2 series-- R stands for "rechargeable"), is a completely different product which is under the "E Series" category at the Lumens Factory website:

www.lumensfactory.com

Cheers.

Last edited:

GadgetTravel

Enlightened
Outdoors Fanatic said:
No. The EO-E2R (AKA Extreme High-Output bulb for the E2 series-- R stands for "rechargeable"), is a completely different product which is under the "E Series" category at the Lumens Factory website:

www.lumensfactory.com

Cheers.

Bwhahahahahahah. 90 lumens from an E1e with a rechargeable; 150 from an E2e and 380 from a 9P. I love it. Time for my credit card to get to work getting me some new bulbs and more RCR123s. Thanks for posting that link, I had not seen that before. :)