Smallest And Largest SF I Own.

muichimon

Newly Enlightened
Do you guys actively use your incans? I haven't carried one in years.
I'm still using the incan lights. Especially on rainy nights, I want to enjoy incan. Compared to the LED, the incan is darker, but it is easy to see because there is less reflection from rain and fog. And it's fun because the light reaches surprisingly far.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
And it's fun because the light reaches surprisingly far.

You make a good point, reflected incan throws. Someone will come along shortly to pronounce that LED has solved its throw problem, and that there are now LED throwers. But the fact of the matter is most LED flashlights are not throwers, certainly not most EDC sized, while, in general, incan lights are thowers by default at any intensity. Running a Surefire MN02 on liion for about 18—20 humble lumens in an Elite head, it effortlessly throws to 60 yards or more, even at such a low intensity. Of course, it takes dark adaptation to see it clearly, but nevertheless. And MN02 filament design, being horizontal to output, is not even ideal for throwing. Most similarly sized LED flashlights will scatter their light within 50 feet, and if it is foggy or raining, forget about it, it just scatters to reflect back in the eyes showing only a wall of fog or a wall of rain. Incan will punch through that.

Last edited:

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
WHOA I had to stop and check the year on the top post. Nice to see some old school Surefires at the top of the feed!

I carried an E1 for many years. Seems weak now, but those focused incan bulbs still had a great spot. I occasionally dig out the MN10 lamp I have for my M3 and put that on in place of my modded LED heads, and that old football shaped spot on fresh batteries still makes me smile. Crazy to think of a time when that was considered top tier.