Show your Solarforce

Status
Not open for further replies.

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
Buying a lathe to save money on torches is like buying a boat to save money on buying fish. :whistle:
Cheers Norm

Sure is !!! thats the catch 22 of it .. Better more trick mods , need a lathe ...
Lathe costs money , could buy a lot of lights with that money .... :whistle:

[ But when I said save money , I meant to buy the lathe , not on mods :wave: ]

Last edited:

Tuikku

Enlightened
Got my first Solarforce today :party:
I have a feeling like I´ve just bought my first Flashlight.

Feels so solid for the price that it feels hard to believe it.
Works well, can´t really say there´s something wrong in it. (with Drop-in I was not so lucky, though... )

Somehow the L2 is a bit smaller than I expected. :thumbsup:

shipwreck

Enlightened
I got a little carried away on my first order of solarforce lights. :D

_MG_9958.jpg

I know the feeling :)

Solarforceset1.jpg

Last edited:

RepProdigious

Enlightened
Nope, i didn't glue it....... I used a supez zecret prozes :grin2:

I think glueing a bezel ring is very bad practice, what if you crack the glass one day? You wouldn't be able to replace it!

And glueing the thing in place wouldn't work all that well anyways, glue is designed to attach two matching surfaces by the thinnest possible layer of adhesive and between the ring and head there's quite a bit of space actually that you would have to 'fill up' in order to keep it in place. That's very bad practice. You better use some proper epoxy with no crimp if you're planning on going down that road but still i wouldn't suggest it.

OCD

Enlightened
Whew! I just finished reading this entire post! I will be purchasing an L2 as soon I can decide what combo to get ; L2 sand or L2P HA III natural; 1 mode or 3 mode drop in.

I do have a couple of questions about a drop-in. I will be running (1) 18650 and prefer throw over flood...is there a drop in that would be considered the best thrower? My 18650's are salvaged laptop cells. I saw someone mentioned using a drop-in that was 3v-?v, using the module for discharge protection. Is this practical and if so, where can I find one as it seems lighthound and sbflashlights have .8-4.2 and 4.2-8.4 modules.

I am trying to do this somewhat budget-oriented, so If the Solarforce modules are the best bang for my buck, that's fine by me.

edit: I just found a Cree XPG 1-mode on sbflashlights that is 3-18v and a MCE that is 3-6v. How do these stack up for throw and use for (1) 18650?

Last edited:

pae77

Enlightened
DX has some very nice inexpensive drop ins. I'm using one with an XPG R5 emitter (320 lumen), 5 mode that I like a lot. It has an orange peel reflector. I think the voltage range might be what you are looking for. Anyway, I mostly use it with one 18650 and it works great with that and provides excellent runtime. DX also has many other inexpensive drop ins. Mine cost $14.16 shipped.

Generally, drop ins with smooth reflectors should have better throw. Also the XRE emitter is considered to have very good throw while the XPG is generally considered to be more balanced between flood and throw, more all purpose. XPG's are also the most efficient at the present time. But the XRE's are great too, imo, and the XRE drop in I have (a Solarforce low voltage 3 mode) has a great tint and pretty decent throw and also only cost around $14 shipped on ebay. I got the low voltage one because I wanted a drop in I could run in an L2R with 2 AA Eneloops to go along with my higher voltage XPG drop in which is in an L2P.

If tail standing is important to you, I recommend getting an L2P.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.