Single cr123 light to be used with a pistol

Rasto36620

Newly Enlightened
Im looking for some what of a compact light to be used in my off hand while holding a handgun in the other. I know a light attached to the gun itself would be ideal but my current firearm does not accommodate one because it does not have a rail and my blackhawk holster does not allow an attached light anyways.

I was very intered in the HDS edc rotary but the current 6 week wait time is some what of a turn off. The V10R looks like it would fit the bill but im not sure if i would be able to instantly access the high mode or be able to turn the magnetic switch with one hand.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire E1B. Comes on high first, not complicated. TIR lens is a bit better for blasting baddies in the eyes. And it'll come on every time.

SoCalDep

Newly Enlightened
As much as I love my V10R, I wouldn't recommend it to be used in conjunction with a handgun. The light is very small and the tailcap switch is a bit hard to depress while keeping my hand behind the bezel. The rotary switch is super-cool for an EDC light, but there is no positive positions or markings, thus it can get moved and would require thought process/dexterity to move to/confirm high-power in a pinch.

I also have a Streamlight PT1L, which I carried on my duty belt and it worked great as a backup light. It works well with a handgun and has good throw and spill. The mode-switching is easy but I wish the mode-switching was hidden so the tailcap could be operated in "high" only.

I recently picked up a Lumapower Trust Model 1. With the bezel tight it is high-only, but loosen the bezel and you have three modes (low-med-high). This, to me, is a killer setup and my new go-to off-duty tactical light. I have a 4Sevens Quark AA Tactical as well and it has a good UI as well...you program your choices accessed by turning the bezel tight or loose. My Quark is set up for moonlight when loose and turbo when tight. Both the Trust and Quark will take 14500 Li-Ion batteries which boost power to very ficken' bright (technical term). I know 4Sevens also sells a single CR123 version of the tactical and that might be a great option.

I'm sure there are more lights out there and that's just my personal experience and opinion...I'm sure others will chime in too.

SoCalDep

Newly Enlightened
Surefire E1B. Comes on high first, not complicated. TIR lens is a bit better for blasting baddies in the eyes. And it'll come on every time.

I really like the size of the E1B and of course the build quality, but I wasn't a fan of the UI. When I tested it in various handgun scenarios I had a hard time keeping it on "high". Maybe I'm just dumb, but I'm waiting...and drooling...for the new EB1 with two-stage tactical tailcap. My LX2 is awesome and the same light in a single 123 package makes me feel all warm and fuzzy!

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I agree with you socal...the E1B is just that...a back up. The UI is not PERFECT for a pistol, and like you, I'd recommend the new EB1. The LX1 would have been the perfect one. An L1 will work, since it technically puts out "tactical" levels of light.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Personally I'd stay away from the very narrow beam profile of the SureFire TIR optics - the L1, E1B, etc.
IMO the beam profile from a reflector or, (even better) a triple XP-G optic configuration is more suitable. YMMV of course.

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was going to say Jetbeam BC20, but that is 2x cr123. That isn't much longer than the Jetbeam BC10.

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
Perhaps the Quark 123 Tactical R5 might fit the bill. I bought a 123 body for my Quark AA Tactical, thus converting it into one of these and when used with a 16340 the output is very impressive and highly effective. The single AA tube on this light with a 14500 is also a good option as an alternative battery choice for the same light and offers what some may view as a better grip profile for tactical use depending on the size of one's hands and grip style preference. This light runs Li-ions quite happily and is good to go up to 4.2V.

Last edited:

Rasto36620

Newly Enlightened
Really like the Klarus Ui, seems very user friendly, thanks for the recommendations. :)

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
The QuarkX with the AA body would do nicely, I have the nuetral white with a deep pocket carry clip and love it.

Macs Customs makes a nice edc light, XML or triple XPG but youd need to run an 18350 rechargeable battery.
Do you plan on using the cigar grip?
Edited: cr123 Only? Thrunite neutron 1c, or Jetbeam BC10 are good.

You could get a Novatac Storm to tide you over until HDS are up and running. ;) similar UI and are $40 from some dealers.
I have one and like it, but it does feel cheap compared to my HDS rotary.

Last edited:

Rasto36620

Newly Enlightened
The QuarkX with the AA body would do nicely, I have the nuetral white with a deep pocket carry clip and love it.

Macs Customs makes a nice edc light, XML or triple XPG but youd need to run an 18350 rechargeable battery.

You could get a Novatac Storm to tide you over until HDS are up and running. ;) similar UI and are $40 from some dealers.

In a perfect world id like to use the cigar grip but if time is an issue and things are going down im probably just gonna grab the light the best i can. Considering an 18650 light after seeing the xt11 klarus and what size and weight it is. I have a Thrunite tn11 and its a tank (having a horrible time with their customer servie on an unrelated note).

Rasto36620

Newly Enlightened

In a perfect world id like to use the cigar grip but if time is an issue and things are going down im probably just gonna grab the light the best i can. Considering an 18650 light after seeing the xt11 klarus and what size and weight it is. I have a Thrunite tn11 and its a tank (having a horrible time with their customer servie on an unrelated note).

wut85

Newly Enlightened
How about the Viking Tactics Surefire Mini L-4 light. Its basically a Surefire e1b specially made for Viking Tactics. It only has high output, there is no low. In addition, it comes with the Z68 Scout light tailcap. The price is fair and I think it fits the bill for what you are looking for.

Latest posts