Single Primary CR123A Pocket Thrower

archimedes

Flashaholic
.... I like a single width. Turbo heads are uncomfortable for the same reason new 1 X CR123A Surefires are - too wide at head.

....As I said in initial post probably need a lens light not a reflector.

The best pick I know of is the old Surefire 200 lumen thrower EB1. Just hoping some other lenser type light out there that isn't so wide at the head....

Not sure if you noticed my earlier post, but this ...

O2vzvqI.jpg

... doesn't work for you, why ?

recDNA

Flashaholic
I don't know what the light is on the bottom but I don't like my chances of finding a brand new black tactical version of the 200 lumen EB1 backup.

Any idea of the throw of the lens light?

archimedes

Flashaholic
Someone may have tested one around here, or could do, but I don't happen to know offhand.

I will say that (on the fully focused setting) it does appear to throw favorably compared to that E1B.

Haven't measured it, but just informally :shrug:

archimedes

Flashaholic
And how about a Malkoff E1T/ Scout ?

A bit of searching online suggests the following values for lux at 1m ....

E1B ~ 4.3k
EB1 ~ 11k

LX2 (2 cell) ~ 8k
E2DL (2 cell) ~ 8.7k

LL Mini ~ 7.2k
LL KO (2 cell) ~ 9.2k
LL 3-cell ~ ??

E1T/S ~ 9k
M61Tv1 (2 cell) ~ 10k

* note, multi-cell values listed for comparison purposes

Last edited:

Grumpy1998

Newly Enlightened
First light that sprung to mind the mk II mini turbo head, so i guess a +3 now. Send to vinh, get maybe an xpl HI thrown in if it is not "throwy" enough out of the box.

Vinh puts a Osram Blask in the mini for crazy throw

• Mini Turbo AKA Goliath: 1350 Lumen, 30Kcd Intensity, 346m Throw $138

He also has a much cheaper light called the D1VN that throws very well and is available for R123 and 18650

Stock: XPL HI 6500K Lumen 1100, Lux 40K, Throw 420m $40

and also the more expensive D1VN

Spec 2: SST40 HD 6500K Lumen 2300, Lux 48K, Throw 438m $68

Not sure if the size fits your requirements (You would probably need a 18650 version for Spec 2)

moshow9

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't believe there is anything available in what you are looking for, with the closest being what has been mentioned so far. The 2 immediate lights that came to mind for me are the Jetbeam Jet-II Pro and Fenix E15 2016 Edition. I remember the E15 having decent throw with it's TIR optic when I had one, and the Jet-II Pro uses an XP-L HI. Upon checking out their figures, they both fall short by more than half of the throw you are looking for.

Another light (no longer in production, but the first in a series related to an already mentioned light) but maybe worth finding is the Nitecore EC1. Head diameter is 1", though body is smaller. Throw is about 7K cd. Maybe an emitter swap to XP-L HI will push it to 10K+? Or go with a Lenslight Mini as archimedes mentioned. Too bad Lenslight doesn't publish throw numbers.

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
Amazing nobody has measured it. Lots of folks here have the equipment to measure throw but lens-light not a big seller. It looks similar to cheap foreign knock offs.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most lights produce more output on li ion. That is whatbI meant.
You are right. The candela and throw numbers are for an 183550. Sorry I misread the chart. They don't give numbers with using a CR123, but the max lumen output is about half of the 18350 number, so I would guess the other numbers would be less than half the stated ones.