SkyRC — IFA 2014 — MC3000 charger-analyzer

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: SkyRC — IFA 2014 / CES 2016 — MC3000 charger-analyzer

discharge rate should be constant in breakin mode, not getting lower. maybe d.reduce option was accidentally active or activated? you might have found a new bug

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast

DREDUCE was set to off, all other setting were default, setting capacity to 6000mah, when the cells were 5000mah may have been the problem.

I have done a factory default and will do an break-in again with the same setting with capacity set to 5000mah, see you in a day or so. :)

These are old battery could this be a factor.

Thanks

John

discharge rate should be constant in breakin mode, not getting lower. maybe d.reduce option was accidentally active or activated? you might have found a new bug

Last edited:

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast

Those panel meters look good, and at a great price, but i needed a voltage reference to calibrate, but i can use the panel meter to check the accuracy of the voltage reference.

Thanks

John.

More useful: for $5 you can buy a very accurate 5 digit panel voltmeter 0-4.3000V-33.000V. Typically these are off by no more than 1mV in their lower range 0-4.3V, and the 0.1mV resolution there can prove very handy (e.g. giving some intuition on battery drain rate). They employ an 18bit ADC (Microchip MCP3421). For further details see this EEVBlog thread, where you'll find many reports of users impressed by the accuracy. They are a steal at $5.
5-digit-red-led-dc-0-4-3000-33-000v-digital-voltage-meter-panel-voltmeter-beus20-1415ec050ebf073fdb68f543a6ec91ba.jpg

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast

It was at 1.01-1.02v for hours, I have set the capacity to true 5000mah of the cell and try again as the 6000mah 20% extra may have been the problem.

Thanks

John.

Yep - you were so close!

Break-In (among other things) discharges at 0.2C down to 1.0V. If you waited another -0.01V the discharge would have finished - see page 19 (user manual) for all the gory details.

Try again and see what happens :)

P.S. - For Break-In, set NOMINAL to the actual battery capacity (without a cushion like you might do for charging). Bumping NOMINAL in this case might overcook your batteries somewhat.

P.P.S. - Yeah, what kreisl said - I missed where you noted the discharge current dropping :duh2:

Ammitz

Newly Enlightened
After looking at this charger i finally made my mind.

i dont need the charger but i want it :) so i bought it.. woohoo

Trancersteve

Newly Enlightened

I have ordered one of these after misplacing my C9000 in a house move.

Looking forward to receiving it, it is one hell of an advanced charger.

Just now I received a SMS from DHL, been stung by customs unfortunately (£23), makes the flash sale not so flashy!

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ordered mine from Gear Best for £65, It shipped with a value of $22 it was delivered by Yodel and i did not pay any vat or duty.

Was it royal mail that charged you? as they are red hot at doing that.

John.

I have ordered one of these after misplacing my C9000 in a house move.

Looking forward to receiving it, it is one hell of an advanced charger.

Just now I received a SMS from DHL, been stung by customs unfortunately (£23), makes the flash sale not so flashy!

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast

Trancersteve said:
, been stung by customs unfortunately (£23), makes the flash sale not so flashy!
does uk belong to eu?

russian, uk , and all other non eu shoppers can afaik order MC3000 eu tax free from the eu eagtac distributor
ru.nkon.nl, it's the place where i get my eagtac and battery stuff from, they sit in de Netherlands and mostly sell to other businesses like retailers

hah i've seen already the first mc3k clone in the planning, also by a hobby charger company, die chinesen sind echt unmoglich omg lol won't say though who it is hhh :devil:

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast

If the declared value of the item is over £15 this includes post and packing, then you have to pay VAT at 20% plus an £8 handling charge if royal mail delivers, and i read the other day that this still happens if you order from an EU country, the UK is a member for the moment.

Some sellers lie about the value or do not include a invoice or value on the outside of the parcel so you do not get charged VAT as it cannot be calculated.

John

does uk belong to eu?

russian, uk , and all other non eu shoppers can afaik order MC3000 eu tax free from the eu eagtac distributor
ru.nkon.nl, it's the place where i get my eagtac and battery stuff from, they sit in de Netherlands and mostly sell to other businesses like retailers

hah i've seen already the first mc3k clone in the planning, also by a hobby charger company, die chinesen sind echt unmoglich omg lol won't say though who it is hhh :devil:

Ammitz

Newly Enlightened

Ordered mine from Gear Best for £65, It shipped with a value of $22 it was delivered by Yodel and i did not pay any vat or duty.

John.

Got my confirmation mail today from gearbest.. they are sending to Denmark via PostNL..

Trancersteve

Newly Enlightened

John.

DHL charged me, I have probably brought this on myself by selecting the fastest delivery method, and choosing my work address as the point of delivery.

does uk belong to eu?

The UK is apart of the EU, for now :D.

Ammitz

Newly Enlightened

does uk belong to eu?

Prices on this website do not include VAT. Please go to http://eu.nkon.nl/ for prices with VAT. ru.nkon.nl is a special website for customers outside the EU, they don't have to pay VAT.

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast

I ordered an led projector from lightinthebox.com (netherlands) for £30 , I got a card from Royal Mail saying i had to pay vat+handling charge, but i had cancelled the order so i just left it to be returned to lightinthebox if i did not collect it within a month.

John

does uk belong to eu?

Gauss163

Flashlight Enthusiast

Those panel meters look good, and at a great price, but i needed a voltage reference to calibrate, but i can use the panel meter to check the accuracy of the voltage reference.

What exactly do you hope to achieve? The accuracy of a voltmeter in a (dis)charger is severely limited by the extreme thermal environment. To achieve high accuracy would require a voltage reference with very low temperature coefficient (unlikely due to high expense) combined with extremely careful thermal design. But, as we saw in prior posts, the thermal design is quite poor, so it is likely that this will take a large toll on voltage accuracy.

I wouldn't be surprised if - in spite of the higher resolution - the accuracy is not much better than much cheaper analyzing chargers like the Opus BT-C3100. It might even be worse if no attention was paid to these matters during design. In poor designs, the least significant digit(s) of the voltmeter essentially act like a thermometer - being highly correlated to temperature (which varies greatly in a (dis)charger).

Last edited:

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast

What exactly do you hope to achieve? The accuracy of a voltmeter in a (dis)charger is severely limited by the extreme thermal environment. To achieve high accuracy would require a voltage reference with very low temperature coefficient (unlikely due to high expense) combined with extremely careful thermal design. But, as we saw in prior posts, the thermal design is quite poor, so it is likely that this will take a large toll on voltage accuracy.

I wouldn't be surprised if - in spite of the higher resolution - the accuracy is not much better than much cheaper analyzing chargers like the Opus BT-C3100. It might even be worse if no attention was paid to these matters during design.

thanks for your concerns

we heard you

moving on

bye

gyzmo2002

Enlightened

I wouldn't be surprised if - in spite of the higher resolution - the accuracy is not much better than much cheaper analyzing chargers like the Opus BT-C3100.

Usually, your comments are relevant...but this one....

Gauss163

Flashlight Enthusiast

Usually, your comments are relevant...but this one....

The point is quite relevant: it requires high-precision components and careful attention to design to achieve good voltage accuracy in environments with extreme temperature variations. Both of these typically come at great cost - much greater than the cost that differentiates the MC3000 vs. other consumer-level analyzing chargers.

Some readers may not realize the technical challenges involved in getting mV and better voltage accuracy in such contexts. A good place to start learning about some of these matters is Keithley's Low Level measurements Handbook, which is freely available via the link. Also worth perusing are various threads on the AD584 voltage references on EEVBlog, where one can observe the volt nuts disease in full bloom (tread cautiously - it is highly contagious and there is no known cure!).

But this is a moot point anyhow since - as I stressed before - 99.99% of hobbyists don't require extreme voltage accuracy. There is no need here to be nuts about volts. Certainly it is not required to competently and safely charge batteries.

Last edited:

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast

The point is quite relevant: it requires high-precision components and careful attention to design to achieve good voltage accuracy in environments with extreme temperature variations. Both of these typically come at great cost - much greater than the cost that differentiates the MC3000 vs. other consumer-level analyzing chargers.

Some readers may not realize the technical challenges involved in getting mV and better voltage accuracy in such contexts. A good place to start learning about some of these matters is Keithley's Low Level measurements Handbook, which is freely available via the link.

But this is a moot point anyhow since - as I stressed before - 99.99% of hobbyists don't require extreme voltage accuracy. Certainly it is not required to competently and safely charge batteries.

high precision electronics is dependent on temperature

i think we got it

i think it's also mentioned in the manual

@gauss i think we're ready to move on

are you?

Last edited:

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi.

Thanks for the Info your help is appreciated.

Basically i have around 5-6 DMM but most are old and i dont trust the accuracy so i am looking to check them out, that`s why i am looking for an accurate voltage source, I am looking at getting an UNI-T UT61E DMM as it gets good reviews when i have the money.

I only need accuracy to 2-3 points, I just want to make sure my gear is not way off.

Keep up the suggestions :thumbsup:

John.

I wouldn't be surprised if - in spite of the higher resolution - the accuracy is not much better than much cheaper analyzing chargers like the Opus BT-C3100. It might even be worse if no attention was paid to these matters during design. In poor designs, the least significant digit(s) of the voltmeter essentially act like a thermometer - being highly correlated to temperature (which varies greatly in a (dis)charger).

gyzmo2002

Enlightened

I know what you mean. It is the affirmation of the accurancy of the Opus vs MC3000 I don't agree.

Ok Kreisl, asked like that, I put my switch off...I'll go away for two days before returning.[emoji56]