SkyRC — IFA 2014 — MC3000 charger-analyzer

BVH

Flashaholic
Re: New Version of MC3000 Monitor

I decided to try one of these out. Got it from Gearbest. Without having to read the entire thread, I ended up with hardware 1.3 (no plus)

What hardware improvements did I not get? Did I get the crappy sliders/springs?

Last edited:

gyzmo2002

Enlightened
Re: SkyRC — IFA 2014 / CES 2016 — MC3000 charger-analyzer

Hi Kreisl, I ended up replacing my old case (first batch charger). My last 3 plastic pins ended up breaking after leaving my batteries 24 hours in the charger. Just to warn that the 6 inserts of the new top case are a little bigger than the old ones. The holes in the board must be slightly enlarged. I do not know if that was mentioned before. In 30 minutes, the work was finished. No other "problem" with this charger that I use daily since december 2015. No problem with the second one bought last summer(new plastic case).🙂

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast

(first batch charger). My last 3 plastic pins ended up breaking
The f*c* that poor material units left the factory was a real shame imo. afaik the engineer responsible for the design and supplier's sample approval of the pin construction was let go last year. For sky reputation and consumers' satisfaction/trust the most advisable procedure in early 2016 would have been a recall of the early batch chargers. however in the end such are business decisions, economic decisions, and based on the unpredictability of future. nobody wants to be responsible for decisions which he might regret later. actually this is one of my personal foremost credos: "Don't do anything which you are going to regret later!" — ©kreisl. i certainly feel sorry for those early adopters whose joy was diminished by the breaking of some pins at some point.

On the other hand, warranty took care of claimed cases. :sssh:

@BVH , you got the latest revision, don't worry. You did not get the ****** plastic pins. Why buy from Gearbest? Support the local dealers, i would say! :grin2:

Last edited:

DeJaVu

Newly Enlightened

The NiZn support of the MC3000 just became a bit more relevant.
Heres a part of the article published on engadget:

"The Navy, the airline industry and Samsung all have a major problem with lithium-ion batteries. Specifically, they tend to catch fire more than most people would like. But that could change soon thanks to a new breakthrough from the US Naval Research Laboratory (NRL) that allows for safe, rechargeable nickel-zinc batteries with a similar performance to Li-ion cells, but without all the flames."

"Although there's no timeline yet for a commercial product, the NRL says their research is complete and the 3D zinc sponge technology is "ready to be deployed within the entire family of Zn-based alkaline batteries" in both military and civilian applications."

and a link to the article - https://www.engadget.com/2017/04/27/the-navy-built-rechargeable-batteries-that-wont-explode-on-you/

Not clear when these newly developed batteries will become commercially available, but at least we will be ready for them when they hit the stores ;)

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast
pju07g2.jpg

Sorry, that's all i was able to help you with that..

That has helped a lot of thanks. :naughty:

As it seems sky has ordered a bunch of lithium titanate 18650 batteries and received them by now. LTO battery packs are common enough in the industry but the cylindrical format was and still is a rarity.

LTO batteries have some extraordinary advantages, claims the BU. And the few Chinese factories which are invested in this battery type firmly believe in the future and success of it.

Implementing LTO in mc3k fw is now officially on the todo list, at floating position. Comes a new todo thing of higher priority, pushes aside the lto item on de list. I wanna promise that lto will be implemented soon enough (spring/sommer) but not right away only because sky got hold of a bunch.

With some patience i should get my hands filthy on a few pcs too. I would love to test the lto algorithm in the beta firmware. That's why i equipped myself with raspi and stuff. mc3k is going to be the first and only consumer market charger with lithium-titanate battery type support afaik! And even if most of us end consumers don't have any lto batteries at home, mc3k owners might find the lto BATT TYPE still useful for experimenting with overdischarged Lithium-Ion batteries.

@cpa , my alu cases got shipped, finally! No tracking number provided/purchased, i'll let myself be surprised by the incoming mail. More joy then i guess?

Last edited:

HighLight

Enlightened
[/URL]. @HighLight, which firmware version did your Gearbest mc3k come with?

Mine came with: HW Version 1.13 and FW Version 1.3

Is this the latest version? If not do you know what benefit I will get by updating to the most current version?

cpa

Newly Enlightened
@cpa , my alu cases got shipped, finally! No tracking number provided/purchased, i'll let myself be surprised by the incoming mail. More joy then i guess?
I've got mine already. It is a chinese one, but I am very happy with it... The temp is now about 35~38ºC at idle (7ºC less than before), and 60ºC compiling, for example. It's a very good result.

HighLight

Enlightened
I'm as far as page 67 of this thread so far but in the mean time can someone tell me what the suggested settings would be in advanced mode to do the refresh routine (c-d-c) and a regular charge of an Eneloop AAA and and Eneloop AA and also an Eneloop Pro AAA and Eneleoop Pro AAA ( if different then the regular Eneloops)?

Suggested Charge settings-

Eneloop AA:
EneloopAAA:

Eneloop Pro AA:
Eneloop Pro AAA:

and suggested Refresh settings ( if different from above)-

Eneloop AA:
EneloopAAA:

Eneloop Pro AA:
Eneloop Pro AAA:

Just the parameters that have to be changed from what appears automatically is all that need to be listed. I'm sure that this information would be really helpful to people who have this charger and want to utilize its capabilities more so then they would get by using Dummy or Simple mode.

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm as far as page
No need to read this entire thread apart from historics or entertainment value. Best info is given in the manual.
For Eneloops the charger has time-saving optimal settings with the BATT TYPE ENELOOP. I wouldn't change anything.

Last edited:

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast
They have started work on the Li-Titanate version, the near future is happening now, i think that's something!

Once completed, i think they should add it to the product webpage, the pdf manual, and the retail box, what do you think?

CyCle

Newly Enlightened
Hello! Could you please help me ? I have a few NiCd batteries with 0 voltage on cell. I want to reanimate it, but MC3000 shows 'no battery' due to 0 V. Is it possible to put some voltage on a channel (I had Maha Powerex MH-C9000 and there was engineer menu which allows to put 2A in a slot (even if battery absolutely was discharged).Thanks!

DeJaVu

Newly Enlightened
Hello! Could you please help me ? I have a few NiCd batteries with 0 voltage on cell. I want to reanimate it, but MC3000 shows 'no battery' due to 0 V. Is it possible to put some voltage on a channel (I had Maha Powerex MH-C9000 and there was engineer menu which allows to put 2A in a slot (even if battery absolutely was discharged).Thanks!
Just press and hold tge slot button untill the voltage rises.
Btw, i have a maha c9000 too, but didnt know about the engineering menu. How do you access it?

CyCle

Newly Enlightened
Just press and hold tge slot button untill the voltage rises.
Btw, i have a maha c9000 too, but didnt know about the engineering menu. How do you access it?
Push "Up" and hold it, next power up the charger and you will see standard test but after '9' the symbols will disappear and you will enter engineer menu. But be careful with it )

Will this just be a Firmware update - or a whole new hardware?

They have started work on the Li-Titanate version, the near future is happening now, i think that's something!

Once completed, i think they should add it to the product webpage, the pdf manual, and the retail box, what do you think?

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast
just firmware .

that's all we need to have the latest version of dis charger .

Mr.Ampere

Newly Enlightened
Hi folks, as a proud owner of à MC3000 charger,
I want first to congratulate the very first contributors of this project...

This charger is really à must have for people who want to keep their cells in good conditions.

As a first contribution, i Will share my experience with DEX logging and configuration, not so easy as one could think...

See you soon, i have to go for diner (did I say I'm french :huh:)