Sleeping with your light

ev13wt

Newly Enlightened
No, not what you think... :) I mean your flashlight under your pillow, or close to that. I've been reading about exploding batteries and pipe bomb lights and so on, so I am wondering if its safe to have a flashlight under ones pillow or right next to the bed.

I now have it at the foot rest area, but I like it next to me. Its never been a concern to me in the past years, but my SO sleeps here as well. Ok, I'm probably overreacting, but I shouldn't have read about the dangers of lithium fumes et cetera. I mean nothing ever has happened...

What the deal with this? Light in question is a 1x CR123 with o rings. Now with a primary only. No more rechargeables in the bedroom for me.

Do you have your light in bed or on the night stand? Am I being overly concerned?

scout24

Flashaholic
I've got about a dozen within arms reach while sleeping, on the small bookshelf next to my bed. Primaries, Li-ion, Eneloops, never worried about it.

dc38

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the east coast of the yoosah. In the place wher
+1, I have all the lights I usually edc lying on my nightstand, a couple under my pillow, a couple under the bed. I used to attach a lanyard to my wrist so i ALWAYS have an accessible light, that is until i went to rub my eyes and conked myself in the face with the light. >.< batteries USUALLY do not randomly blow up unless they've been neglected to begin with, or some kind of parasitic drain is occurring, etc. If the light is off, sealed, and there are no arbitrary circuits going on, you should be okay. (if you ARE worried about the whole pipe bomb thing, keep it inside a thick tin and keep some books or weights on top of it lol

ev13wt

Newly Enlightened
I am over reacting. Ok ok. Feedback from you guys helps me relax.

Tin with book is not suitable for under pillow use. :/

0dBm

Newly Enlightened
You have too much time on your hands. Stop thinking about this stuff. You need sleep.

Last edited:

dc38

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the east coast of the yoosah. In the place wher
Another thing I just thought of, What light are you worried about? Many lights on the market these days have anodized threads on the tail end of the light and in the tailcap itself, which would provide some sort of "lock out" feature. (by loosening the tailcap a bit, the circuit is disconnected no matter how many times you press the switch) This keeps it dormant until you want to use it, just tighten the cap and click it on!

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
I sleep with a Muyshondt Aeon on a lanyard around my neck (actually its around my neck almost 24-7)
Within arms reach (on my bedside table and under the bed) are Surefire M6, M4, M3, U2, 9P (with 1000lumen dropin) T1A titan, L2, A2, Novatac 120P, SWM V10RTI , LF P7 M head and 5mega body, SL Ultrastinger, 2 x Magchargers and a Maxabeam

Most lights have rechargeables in them (titan, Aeon and A2 run primaries)

Most of my lights live on my bedside table - i find its easier to find them when they are near the place i normally am when its dark
If i think i will need a light i will take it with me - the V10R and 9P are edc lights

SDM44

Newly Enlightened
I've got about a dozen within arms reach while sleeping, on the small bookshelf next to my bed.

Same here.

If I kept a flashlight under my pillow, knowing me I'd probably knock it off the bed and it would slam onto the hardwood floor and wake everyone up :p

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have any worries, I sleep in one of these ...

(The wife told me she wanted more l'amour !)

somnambulated

Newly Enlightened
I'm such a gadget nerd that I finally broke down and bought a small display case to mount bedside when I get around to it.

Currently my nightstand is occupied by a tray and organizer with several folding knives, three flashlights, and assorted EDC items, parts and some batteries.

I don't need any of it overnight, I just like to keep my EDC toys close at hand.

Via iPhone & Tapatalk

strinq

Enlightened
Been sleeping with one close to hand for about 2-3 years.
Never felt any worries.
Well, I guess I would be worried if I can't find one when I wake up.
:)

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
My cell phone uses a single li-ion, i hold it to my ear without even thinking about risks. My laptop got 6 18650's, and i often put it on my lap, close to a ehm "sensetive spot" without worrying about "great balls of fire":devil:

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
You may say "too much information", but I sleep in sport shorts that have pockets - typically a light in each pocket. Usually a Mako Flood in one pocket and a Thrunite Ti Firefly. Of course, both have regular alkaline batteries in them.

However, for the past couple of nights I've had the Jetbeam TCR1 in my pocket (with an AW RCR battery), because of the incredibly low level it reaches.

Maybe I should, but I don't worry about it....

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
You may say "too much information", but I sleep in sport shorts that have pockets - typically a light in each pocket. Usually a Mako Flood in one pocket and a Thrunite Ti Firefly. Of course, both have regular alkaline batteries in them.

However, for the past couple of nights I've had the Jetbeam TCR1 in my pocket (with an AW RCR battery), because of the incredibly low level it reaches.

Maybe I should, but I don't worry about it....

Is that a torch in your pocket?

Or are you just pleased to see me !

Blueskies123

Newly Enlightened
I sleep with a Muyshondt Aeon on a lanyard around my neck (actually its around my neck almost 24-7)
Within arms reach (on my bedside table and under the bed) are Surefire M6, M4, M3, U2, 9P (with 1000lumen dropin) T1A titan, L2, A2, Novatac 120P, SWM V10RTI , LF P7 M head and 5mega body, SL Ultrastinger, 2 x Magchargers and a Maxabeam

Most lights have rechargeables in them (titan, Aeon and A2 run primaries)

Most of my lights live on my bedside table - i find its easier to find them when they are near the place i normally am when its dark
If i think i will need a light i will take it with me - the V10R and 9P are edc lights

Sounds like an anti chick magnet

radioactive_man

Enlightened
I keep my lights on the nightstand. I don't want them on my person, because I move around a lot when I sleep, and I'd end up lying on top the light and waking up because of that. I don't worry to much about small fires, since I have a 1kg ABC powder extinguisher less than three paces from my bed.

Latest posts