Sleeping with your light

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
I move so much when I sleep that anything I leave under the pillow ends up on the floor, most often between the bed and the wall. I keep a TK45 and an E0 on my nightstand (no risk of "random" explosion there) and if I have any lithium-powered lights, they'll be on the far edge of the stand, not because
I'm afraid of explosions, but because I don't want to wake myself up with blazing light. TK70 and 12" hunting knife on the floor, under the bed frame for extra feelings of security.

tolkaze

Enlightened
Have a preon P0 on the metal part of the bed head (also good to use for reading) and have woken up numerous times with a small light in my hand or in the bed sheets... I guess when I get up to check on the kids or the house, I grab a light and don't let go. Anyways, in or around the bed, AA or AAA lights, other primary based lights on the bedstand and everything higher powered in the cupboard

somnambulated

Newly Enlightened
43315502-4c52-026c.jpg

I picked up a display cabinet from Aaron Brothers on sale for $20, and hung it above the nightstand. Now I just have to figure out a better mounting solution than the hat pins it came with so I can load it up!

Via iPhone & Tapatalk

901-Memphis

Enlightened
Does this mean that some of you "24/7" guys are showering with your lights around your neck?

I have a few lights on my nightstand. My gunsafe is right between the nightstand so i sit My Olight M20 on there and inside the drawer of the nighstand there are probably 3-4 other led lights. I can't imagine sleeping with a light around my body.

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always keep one or more flashlights within easy reach of my bed, usually something with very low lumen output for general dark adjusted reconnoitering and something powerful and tactical if the need should arise.
A good, easy to access sidearm is a worthy idea too, depending on where you live and your particular mind-set. (Highly recommend a revolver over a semi-auto for this purpose for its never jam, never fail, easy to operate under high stress functionality.)

But under my pillow?......No way!!!

Well.......maybe. The now defunct Pillow Holster company had an interesting approach to the idea.

Shown here with Glock 22 and Streamlight Stinger.
glock22flash.jpg

Of course, the idea of sleeping with a pistol under your pillow has been around for a long time.

30vp27m.jpg

Illum

Flashaholic
Whoa,

I can barely fit my TK41 and ArmyTeks, but how in the world do you fit a rifle, under a pillow?

Not to say it is bad to be prepared militarily, but, don't you get the creeps as if what if you wake up looking down the barrel of your own gun?

heh, its not directly pushing on the pillow [the charging handle will put a hole in it], my pillow is on top of a "gun case" and offers the "just right" level of height. The carbine has a folding stock [Keltec SU-16C] and, while loaded, the chamber is empty and closed. It was placed there because:
1: my gun cabinet is full, and I'll need to tear down half the closet to put in a new one
2: it gets hidden under the sheets, but it takes no more than 10 seconds to ready it.

We live on a wooded lot thats about an acre in size, we have no driveway and no garden lights. Finding your way in at night is hard enough, walking around the house without crunching on leaves is harder. I figured 10 seconds is plenty of time to get ready.

The mauser should really be in the gun cabinet, the only reason its not in there is because I have not cooked the cosmoline out of the stock yet, what ever it touches, it leaves a stick mess, so its in a cardboard box, unloaded with the bolt seperate, it makes a nice club.

I get the creeps walking up and finding my pistol somehow pointed at me while on the table, so now I have my bed stand cleared of everything except a few lights. The pistol is now on car duty.

Does this mean that some of you "24/7" guys are showering with your lights around your neck?

Yep, just make sure you lube your lights frequently. Or else soapwill eat through one day and you'll find suds where no suds should ever be found. :sick2:

Sleeping with the light on your neck has its disadvantages though, especially for twisties, on more than one occiasion I wake up finding the light on or dimmed because it was on all night. :(

Last edited:

Vish

Newly Enlightened
I do often sleep with a flashlight in my shorts pocket. Reason - My daughter sleeps with us on bed. She is about 20 months. I wake up really early and if my daughter sees me going off to work she starts crying. I have a fenix E 01 and i use it to search, walk, and pick things when i am getting ready to get off to work. I have never thought of any dangers nor experienced one. Its so small and the best flashlight.

ev13wt

Newly Enlightened
I do often sleep with a flashlight in my shorts pocket. Reason - My daughter sleeps with us on bed. She is about 20 months. I wake up really early and if my daughter sees me going off to work she starts crying. I have a fenix E 01 and i use it to search, walk, and pick things when i am getting ready to get off to work. I have never thought of any dangers nor experienced one. Its so small and the best flashlight.

Welcome to CPF. Nice little light you have there. Wait till you read more, soon you will have even more light!

Malamute

Newly Enlightened
I keep an E2E and a nitrolon on the nighstand. The E2 is the daily carry, has less output, and can be about out of power at ny moment, the nitrolon is for more emergency type issues. I never use it, so know it's got full batteries in it. I do about the same thing in the mountains when camping, but have one on both sides of me so I could find one easily if the need arose. Same basic idea with pistols when camping, one on each side, so there's always on right in front of me no metter which way I'm turned. There's been a couple embarrasing moments for other folks camping in grizzly country. One guy was eaten. Not just attacked, but eaten. I'm not going to cooperate with any hungry bears. 

chippybrian

Newly Enlightened
I sleep with a 4 cell mag between my bed and the wall,

Reference to using a flashlight as a weapon removed - Norm

Last edited by a moderator:

yliu

Enlightened
They should be safe.

If you are really concerned about exploding batteries, then sleep with lights that take Alkaline or NiMH batteries, they are less likely to explode than lithiums.

fresh eddie fresh

Enlightened
43315502-4c52-026c.jpg

I picked up a display cabinet from Aaron Brothers on sale for $20, and hung it above the nightstand. Now I just have to figure out a better mounting solution than the hat pins it came with so I can load it up!

Via iPhone & Tapatalk

You might be able to use some of the hardware they make for hanging things on cubicle walls from an office supply store. Basically long pins that go in nearly vertical, but some of them can hold a lot of weight.

As far as sleeping with a flashlight, I have a SF Stratum next to my bed. It is a three speed, but I usually just use low... the beam on mine is pretty warm, it is number 800-something.

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's several lights within arms reach when I'm in bed. The closest, and most used for middle of the night duties is a Quark AA2 Regular NW. A few inches from it is a TK40/41, a TK12 and a new addition is an Eveready Dolphin led edition for if there is ever a fire. It has a very warm tinted, laser like beam for cutting through smoke. And it's kind of a novelty to have a legendary light like the Dolphin with a factory led next to your bed, plus it floats.

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
My lights and I have agreed that we will stick to a strictly platonic relationship, so we dont sleep together and I think thats best for everyone involved!

I keep 2 lights on my nightstand, an 18650 light(Sunwayman T20CS) and my Fenix TK41.

Latest posts