Sofirn C01 Potted AAA w High CRI

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got mine today. Took 18 days. Not bad. Build on the light seems great. No way this is high CRI. color rendering on mine sucks IMHO. Tint is very blue. Oh well, it was a curiosity purchase. Not like it was going to knock my Aeon MKIII or rev. 4 Maratac AAA brass out of my pocket. I'll find a use for it I'm sure.

Interesting. Seems like you're the first and only person so far that thinks the beam is blue and not high CRI. Not sure what to tell you in all honesty. Perhaps you got a light with an emitter that never should have made it through quality control? All I can tell you is my 5600K is not at all bluish and colors illuminated with it are quite vivid.

Tribull

Enlightened
Got mine yesterday, the tint is very warm as I expected. Build quality seems very good as well, I'm considering getting a different model, but I just don't know enough about this brands longevity.

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
me too. with help from CPF BLF it's a great help ahead on a better build.

Got mine yesterday, the tint is very warm as I expected. Build quality seems very good as well, I'm considering getting a different model, but I just don't know enough about this brands longevity.

JWRitchie76

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting. Seems like you're the first and only person so far that thinks the beam is blue and not high CRI. Not sure what to tell you in all honesty. Perhaps you got a light with an emitter that never should have made it through quality control? All I can tell you is my 5600K is not at all bluish and colors illuminated with it are quite vivid.

The bluish tint doesn't bother me. It is 5600k after all and it's just a cheapie light. I did expect better color rendition though. Compared to my Aeon MKIII and Maratac AAA , both with nichia 219 high CRI emitters this isn't even in the same area code as far as color rendering is concerned. I'll do some comparison pics later this evening.

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
...Seems like you're the first and only person so far that thinks the beam is blue and not high CRI...All I can tell you is my 5600K is not at all bluish and colors illuminated with it are quite vivid.

The bluish tint doesn't bother me. It is 5600k after all and it's just a cheapie light. I did expect better color rendition though...

Tint is tint though we all see it differently. I can't speak to the CRI, but anything over 5000k is blue to my eyes and this 5600k Yuji is no exception.

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been using mine every night since I got them, one of each tint.

So far they've been outstanding and I am thoroughly impressed.

I'm looking forward to seeing how they stand up in the long run. :)

JWRitchie76

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tint is tint though we all see it differently. I can't speak to the CRI, but anything over 5000k is blue to my eyes and this 5600k Yuji is no exception.
You are correct and I tried to make that distinction in my previous 2 posts. Fortunately I have two really great CRI EDC lights to directly compare it to. Mine is not that great for CRI honestly. I mean, yea, it's a huge improvement over a ARC AAA or Fenix E01 for CRI. I'm not completely disappointed in it, seriously it's an $8 flashlight. It's worth owning a few and stashing for emergencies.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast

It's kind of funny to me as I felt the same way about anything over 5000K, but I was really pleasantly surprised at the contradiction of light this thing put out. It's cool, but has a strange warmth to it.

The best test for the CRI is checking out skin tones and this light really does accentuate subtle differences.

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are correct and I tried to make that distinction in my previous 2 posts. Fortunately I have two really great CRI EDC lights to directly compare it to. Mine is not that great for CRI honestly. I mean, yea, it's a huge improvement over a ARC AAA or Fenix E01 for CRI. I'm not completely disappointed in it, seriously it's an $8 flashlight. It's worth owning a few and stashing for emergencies.

Are you expecting colors to look like they do with your 4000k nichias? A high CRI 5600k light will look different than 4000k and be correct. CRI is measured against a color temp not an absolute truth. Else you have a defective light.

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you and I are almost entirely in agreement, though I may not have successfully expressed that in my post that quoted you: I think these lights are great, especially for the money, and that everyone -flashaholic or not- could definitely use one :)

Though if someone sees "high CRI" and thinks "not-blue" they will be disappointed with the 5600.

It's kind of funny to me as I felt the same way about anything over 5000K, but I was really pleasantly surprised at the contradiction of light this thing put out. It's cool, but has a strange warmth to it...
I HATE cool white and don't usually buy anything over 4000k, but this is the least-offensive cool white I've ever seen; the fact that I'm actually using the cool Sofirn is a testament to that :)

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
I HATE cool white and don't usually buy anything over 4000k, but this is the least-offensive cool white I've ever seen; the fact that I'm actually using the cool Sofirn is a testament to that :)
Nice to hear that. :) I felt the 3200k was too warm... and with 5600k being brighter at no extra power expense, seemed the sensible way to go for a light such as this -- low lumens available for long, long periods of time.

JWRitchie76

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry. Been a long and very cold day! So the Aeon MKIII on medium, Maratac AAA on low and C02 are all approx. the same lumens. Maratac is actually only like 5 lumens but med is 40 so I went with low on that light. Aeon on top, Maratac middle and C02 bottom. C02 is good but not great compared to the others IMO. For an $8 flashlight though. It's great!

3e91d490f6d135ebb173dca6662e5e4b.jpg

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
with nichia 219 high CRI emitters this isn't even in the same area code as far as color rendering

Maratac for a time used the N219b 4000k, now they use the N219c 4000k (the red bar got shorter)
Jgs6mbg.png

The Yuji LED has much higher CRI overall including much higher red output than the nichias
hp2GsBa.png

if you can find a CRI spectrum for the LED in the Aeon, please share

I appreciate you taking the time to share photos. One thing that can help make photos apples to apples is to
Use the same white balance setting for each photo

High CRI is most notable in the Red rendering. Low CRI leds are good at producing green, yellow and blue, but very very bad at producing red

with respect, some feedback on your photos
1. it would seem important to have a control shot, showing the colors in natural daylight
2. your muyshondt seems to make the red very brown (I bet it has a shorter red bar on a spectrum chart)
3. your Maratac makes the red nice and bright (is that a 219b or 219c?)
4. your C01 is not aimed at the red bar, and or the lighting is too dim for your camera setting to capture the colors the C01 is capable of.

JWRitchie76

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maratac for a time used the N219b 4000k, now they use the N219c 4000k (the red bar got shorter)
Jgs6mbg.png

The Yuji LED has much higher CRI overall including much higher red output than the nichias
hp2GsBa.png

if you can find a CRI spectrum for the LED in the Aeon, please share

I appreciate you taking the time to share photos. One thing that can help make photos apples to apples is to
Use the same white balance setting for each photo

High CRI is most notable in the Red rendering. Low CRI leds are good at producing green, yellow and blue, but very very bad at producing red

with respect, some feedback on your photos
1. it would seem important to have a control shot, showing the colors in natural daylight
2. your muyshondt seems to make the red very brown (I bet it has a shorter red bar on a spectrum chart)
3. your Maratac makes the red nice and bright (is that a 219b or 219c?)
4. your C01 is not aimed at the red bar, and or the lighting is too dim for your camera setting to capture the colors the C01 is capable of.
Thanks for the feedback. It's my galaxy cell phone camera. Same settings for all 3 pics. Maratac is a v4 brass. That C01 pic is pretty dang perfect to how my eye sees colors with the C01 in person. No trickery or manipulation of settings in any of the pics.

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jon, you might get this one. Let us play guess the emitter. Since this is the C01 thread I will give you two hints. The settings are locked between shots. The other hint is one of these is a C01.

wX8caSs.jpg

Q2nXzyd.jpg

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
No trickery or manipulation of settings in any of the pics.
I did not think you intentionally did anything to alter the images.

fwiw, I copied your images, no color editing, just copy paste:
WudMM1p.png

they each look very different, and for sure the C01 looks unimpressive

this is what my iPhone sees with my 5600k C01:
zAXzrTN.jpg

and with my Fenix E01:
iHp6NB1.jpg

I find the C01 impressive!

Last edited:

Warmcopper123

Newly Enlightened
been clipped to pocket for a cpl weeks . all is good. finish isn't even wearing on the split ring hole yet.

using around the house its plenty bright enough .out doors its limited. but for me same as E01 this is the light that gets me to a bigger light if needed.

Best buy of the year so far!! worth every penny!! :)