sog multi tools..who has one do you like them.

Dantor

Enlightened
Which way is the grading system going? Is that Leatherman is #1 or Swisstool?

IMO: "Swisstool!"
Leathermans are great tools, the company really listens to us and puts out many models that are designed to fit nice; but for quality and finish and warranty, Swisstool rocks! But SOG is right there.

Last edited:

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for your input. Leathermans sure look nice on the outside with useful features but quality issues seem to keep coming up.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
For my own edification, like what?

Mainly, rust. That's been my experience. Two Micras, and an Original Leatherman tool. I couldn't believe how quickly they started to rust. If I didn't know better, I'd swear they were made out of carbon steel, instead of stainless.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep that's my experience as well. I posted this at edcforums, after a ski trip my wave was left in holster overnight, and surface rust is already growing the next day. In comparison the spyderco knife is spotless.

To me rusting overnight from basically distilled water is unacceptable for stainless steel.

But the skeletool looks so nice, guess I'll find out how big of a glutten for punishment I am. :duh2:

Dantor

Enlightened
Yup, I've had spotting and rust on my Leathermans, not a speck on my Vics, and I've read many threads, in several forums about the same thing. I still like em, but if I could only have one (the desert island scenario), it would be a Swisstool.

spoonrobot

Enlightened
I don't see rust as a quality issue. These tools are made out of steel, steel rusts and as such needs to be taken care of. Leatherman uses a coarser finish than most other manufacturers so their steel is a little more open to the elements but I don't think it is a major concern to the function of the tool. I recently saved this PST, rust everywhere but no effect on the function.

P4030249.jpg

Proper maintenance will pretty much take care of the rust issue. I work around water and corrosive chemicals on a daily basis but have no rust problems because, approximately whenever I feel like it, I get an old rag good and oily and wipe down the tool with a heavy coating of oil. Them I get a clean rag and wipe down the tool again until there is no oily residue left on the tool. Place in pocket and it's ready to go. So far I'm 100% rust free.

Dantor

Enlightened
LOL it's fine, good as new; like moldy bread, just scrape that stuff off and eat it, no worries!

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I don't see rust as a quality issue....

I'm afraid I have to disagree. While you are correct that there's really no such thing as "stainless steel," Leatherman's competitors are offering quality tools in the same price range. And, they seem to be using more stain-resistant steels. The surface rust on both of my Micras did end up causing the tools to function not as well as before. Wiping the rust off the individual tools is no problem. Getting to the rust at the scissor's pivot point is a different story.

I bought the Original Leatherman back when I was a teenager. I ended up using it literally, once or twice. It ended up riding in the trunk of my car.... Where it literally rusted away. Ended up looking far worse than your PST. I couldn't believe how bad the rust became, and just from sitting in its leather belt sheath, in my car.

I'm currently on my 3rd Micra. Got a Leatherman black pouch for it from Lighthound. Hopefully the pouch will help in reducing the level of surface rust that gets on the tool. I also have a Leatherman Kick that rides in a small emergency kit I put together. So far, no rust. But I've only owned it for a few months. If I end up having rust issues with those tools as well, I don't think I'll be buying anymore Leatherman products.

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
SOG would have a real winner if the large blade/saw/file/scissors open from the outside. And also if the square driver was tighter-fitting (someone complained that it fits too loose on a socket).

One question:

Why not have ALL the tools open from the outside, not just the blades? Is it because if the safety fails, it won't bite your hand?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
SOG would have a real winner if the large blade/saw/file/scissors open from the outside. And also if the square driver was tighter-fitting (someone complained that it fits too loose on a socket).

One question:

Why not have ALL the tools open from the outside, not just the blades? Is it because if the safety fails, it won't bite your hand?

The built-in safety design is indeed one reason why having all of the tools open from the outside would not be a good idea. If the lock fails on a tool that opens from the inside, the other handle of the tool will prevent the knife or saw blade from closing on one's fingers.

When Leatherman came out with their first Wave, the outside opening tools were put there so it would be more convenient to access them.

But there's another reason for putting the knife blade on the the inside.... I live in a city that has some rather vague knife laws. Recently, the city decided that most one-hand opening knives (like a Spyderco Delica) are illegal gravity knives.... if they open a bit too easily. Problem is, "a bit too easily" varies from Police officer to Police officer. Some know that that interpration of the law is B.S., others enforce it like robots. With a Leatherman Wave, your multi-tool could be confiscated as an illegal gravity knife, in NYC.... Just because the knife blade can be thumbed open with one hand, from the outside of the tool. Not an issue with multi-tools where the knife blade is placed inside the handle.

spoonrobot

Enlightened

One question:

Tools with the implements on the inside are also slightly easier to make since the plier/handle pivot interface has less parts. Compare the typical outside opener tool (right) to typical inside opener (left).

DSCF0346XXX.jpg

Here's the who article if you're interested.

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Spoonrobot and Monocrom,
thank you for your explanations/rationale for inside openers - it actually makes me think twice about outside-openers now.

As for finish, does anyone know about the durability of the gold TiNi powerlocks? I suppose the gold wears off at the gears and the plier jaws.

Fird

Enlightened
One question:

I don't mind the tools on the inside because I've become quite proficient at opening it with one hand (wrist flick). I do the same with my primary blade, it's just faster (besides it looks cool :p)

I haven't played with a Vic but Leatherman tools just feel like toys to me, and again i'm not a big guy. I played with a 'wave' the other day and it might suffice for a small pocket tool but not a primary tool.. The folding mechanism feels like my former $7 cabellas special, move-stop-move-stop. I'm hooked on the geared mechanism, there's enough drag to feel weighty but it's quite smooth.

How much force can the pliers take? i feel the handles continue to move slightly after the jaws are closed. I think it's just a little slop in the gears, but as I got it second hand, I'm not suprised.

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
The SOG site isn't clear on the Powerlock's new larger plier head - it only mentions it on the newer v2.0 model (which is only as an EOD so no scissors), not across the board on all powerlocks.

Also, the new piano lock - its not clear as to what the advantage is over the older lock.
Also, no mention of the gold TiNi finish - it may be discontinued.

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also, the new shroud around the teeth may prevent the hex bolts from being removed using a socket since there doesn't seem to be enough clearance anymore.

tussery

Enlightened
I really dislike the new gear shroud, I am glad I got my pair before those were added. I have to admit the Power Lock is huge but they feel very solid. Which is more than I could say about my previous pair of Gerber Multi tools.