Solarforce Explosion

Status
Not open for further replies.

tandem

Enlightened
By subalpine's description, I think thermal shock is just as likely a candidate for this unfortunate accident, if it has ever occured before to a flashlight. But I must defer to any physicists or engineers in the forum.

Thousands of us have used lights with more powerful LEDs driven harder to higher surface and internal temperatures than should be possible with this light/drop-in combination. Snow has hit our lights before and will again without causing this. It seems very unlikely the XP-G R5 in this light's drop-in (ostensibly putting out ~300 lumen), combined with snow, slush, or saliva, were factors in some thermal shock event.

It's hard not to suspect cells and/or the charger/charging process but given the circumstances liquid infiltration must also be on the list of suspects.

While it probably goes without saying, it won't hurt to say it: for safety's sake any remaining cells and whatever charger(s) were being used should be quarantined until/unless a cause can be pinpointed, or until they can be checked out by someone with the requisite knowledge and equipment.

Questions and answers can wait. Right now all that matters is SubAlpine's recovery.

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am not a mod nor do I play one on the interwebs but is there a way to create 2 threads, one for health updates from subalpine and wishes for a speedy recovery and the other for any facts subalpine can provide and speculation of them?

Norm

Retired Administrator
is there a way to create 2 threads, one for health updates from subalpine and wishes for a speedy recovery and the other for any facts subalpine can provide and speculation of them?
It can be done, if the OP wishes.

The first post would need to be duplicated and used to start a thread, otherwise existing post will predate a freshly started thread. If the OP lets me know if that's what he wants, I should be able to fix it.

Norm

Last edited:

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Prayers for a speedy recovery. I hope you get home soon! Like others have said, sounds like your batteries exploded! Wow!

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Questions and answers can wait. Right now all that matters is SubAlpine's recovery.

SubAlpine was heroically (truly) gracious enough to post, as a warning to us, but surely because he'd like to have as much information as fast as possible about what happened to him. Obviously, to all, his recovery is of tremendous importance, but even to SubAlpine, his recovery is not all that matters, and questions and answers cannot wait. If you don't want to engage in dialogue, no matter what the reason, then be quiet. But I respectfully request that unless you're (royally, meaning, *anyone*) a moderator, please do not try to silence others who have every right to post, and may have concern for similar circumstances. We're in the middle of Winter, if anyone hasn't noticed, and the circumstance SubAlpine described sounds all too familiar.

That said, its nothing personal, and I'm not questioning your empathy, but it is wise to avoid speaking from authority if you're not, and, further, dialogue itself will only serve to help SubAlpine, and everyone, including you. Suppressing dialogue, and sitting vigil with respectful moments of silence --that is what can wait, because that, whatever that is, is about honoring our fallen compadre, showing respect for an injured human, which is important to us, but neither is that all that matters; its simply good manors. This is a forum. A forum is an incredible knowledge-base resource as vast as the knowledge of all its members combined, and these members are not some primitive tribe shackled by dogma.

Thousands of us have used lights with more powerful LEDs driven harder to higher surface and internal temperatures than should be possible with this light/drop-in combination. Snow has hit our lights before and will again without causing this. It seems very unlikely the XP-G R5 in this light's drop-in (ostensibly putting out ~300 lumen), combined with snow, slush, or saliva, were factors in some thermal shock event.

It's hard not to suspect cells and/or the charger/charging process but given the circumstances liquid infiltration must also be on the list of suspects.

While it probably goes without saying, it won't hurt to say it: for safety's sake any remaining cells and whatever charger(s) were being used should be quarantined until/unless a cause can be pinpointed, or until they can be checked out by someone with the requisite knowledge and equipment.

Seems most likely.
And this all is worth being repeated, so I quoted you. It was my first suspicion as well. It is the simplest explanation, and not at all hard to imagine, as it has happened before to others (though this is the first instance I've heard of LiFePO4 cells doing this).

tandem, is it your opinion and experience that if the cells were frozen solid, it would still be unlikely to be a thermal shock event? Also, if you can address the next sentence regarding toxicity, even if it is elsewhere on the Internet, please do so. I read your posts, I know you know.

SubAlpine, my understanding is that there is toxic gas that can be released from Li-ion cells in certain instances, and I'm not one to take chances with important info -- idk what anyone else knows, no one does, so I will risk patronizing because its that important. When you're able to answer, of course... where was your light before you put it in your mouth? Pocket? Or had it been sitting in your truck?

I expect that the light wasn't frozen solid or SubAlpine probably would have noticed his saliva and tongue freezing to it, but lets not sit silent and instead shine a bright bright light in all the dark corners while we can.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
My best wishes to subalpine for a speedy and full recovery.

A photo of the light post-explosion would also help to determine what happened.

Thermal shock is one option. The other causes of explosion can be physical damage to the cell, but that seems unlikely in this case. chillinn is right - a protection circuit would make no difference in this scenario - unless the failure was due to a short in the body/light engine, which the protection would have cut off (hopefully) before catastrophic failure.

I know that when I hold a light in my mouth I drool quite a bit (ewww!). It's possible that the boot seal on the tail switch wasn't great, spit got in and caused some sort of issue in the switch leading to the failure. I'm probably grasping at straws, but like others here I find solace in answers :)

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know that when I hold a light in my mouth I drool quite a bit (ewww!). It's possible that the boot seal on the tail switch wasn't great, spit got in and caused some sort of issue in the switch leading to the failure. I'm probably grasping at straws, but like others here I find solace in answers :)

I've been racking my brain as well, sir. I think we all want to help somehow.

...but saliva plus switch would equal a "closed switch." It was already on.

Shorted switch just turns it on. SF LT2 mentioned has a regular old switch, not a digital.

Liquid would have to infiltrate much further forward.

Last edited:

tandem

Enlightened
please do not try to silence others who have every right to post

I'm not trying to silence anyone, I'm simply being sensitive to SubAlpine's state of health and his currently diminished ability to respond and provide more detail, images, and history.

magellan

Honorary Aussie
tennergy LiFePo4 are not protected, and afaik that chemistry is not as much prone to go boom, as li ion cobalt chem. something went really wrong there, this is a first time i hear Lithium Iron Phosphate in such a small form blew up.

First, very sorry to hear of this incident and best wishes to the OP for a quick recovery. This incident reminds me of the one reported by Jnieporte several years ago.

About the cells, that jives what what I've read too. Am I recalling correctly that the electrolyte in a lithium iron phosphate battery is not itself flammable like some other types and that the main effect here was the explosion?

Last edited:

magellan

Honorary Aussie
Hi Tandem,

You said:

<<While it probably goes without saying, it won't hurt to say it: for safety's sake any remaining cells and whatever charger(s) were being used should be quarantined until/unless a cause can be pinpointed, or until they can be checked out by someone with the requisite knowledge and equipment.>>

Sounds like someone like Vinh could get into forensic flashlight incident investigation.

tandem

Enlightened
While some variants may be safer in that they don't vent with flame, or exhibit thermal runaway, any cell regardless of chemistry that has significant energy density can rapidly vent under adverse conditions, possibly resulting in un-containable pressure build up within a sealed flashlight.

robert.t

Enlightened
Firstly, this is pretty awful and I hope you get well soon subalpine. Someone mentioned a poisonous gas. I believe they meant Hydrogen Fluoride. This has been mentioned in relation to other Lithium chemistries and I'm not an expert, so I have really no idea whether it can be produced by LiFePO4. The important thing is to make sure your doctors are aware of the battery chemistry involved, just in case, and get checked out for any possible complications. HF is pretty nasty stuff. Hopefully someone with better knowledge of the chemistry can either confirm HF is a potential issue, or put your mind at ease on that front.

So far no one is sure what happened. An arc, a battery explosion, who knows.

Everyone seems to have concluded that the cells exploded despite the fact that this is considered highly unlikely for LiFePO4. As far as I can see, there isn't any specific evidence in the thread that any of the cells exploded. Perhaps something arced or shorted, briefly generating enough heat to shatter the glass. IIRC, LiFePO4 cells can deliver a lot of current and will not even fail under a dead short, so it might be more likely that the cells didn't fail, but rather some other component failed and the cells happily delivered enough current to produce far more heat that the emitter would ever produce under normal operation.

Definitely, as soon as it's possible to do so, some detailed photos would help. Maybe one of the experts will come along and volunteer to inspect the remains personally and determine what went wrong, if it can be posted to them. Unless it's really obvious from a photo I'd imagine some disassembly and probing of components will be necessary to figure it out.

Hopefully by understanding what happened here, we can make sure this doesn't happen again, to anyone else.

magellan

Honorary Aussie
While some variants may be safer in that they don't vent with flame, or exhibit thermal runaway, any cell regardless of chemistry that has significant energy density can rapidly vent under adverse conditions, possibly resulting in un-containable pressure build up within a sealed flashlight.

Good point. And with rechargeable lithiums containing several times as much energy as NiMH (I realize this was a primary but I mainly use secondaries at this point) that's a lot more potential energy if something goes wrong.

As much as I prefer twistys for picket carry I guess this is one argument for a rear clicky.

Maybe it's time for some clever inventor to invent a water proof one way flashlight valve. Doesn't PK need a few more patents to reach 200? :)

Last edited:

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast
What a terrible thing to have happen, best wishes and get well soon.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Please excuse my repeat, but I am thinking of the following that I quoted earlier:

Got my Solarforce on Monday. I like SBflashlights CS. Fast and accurate. I like the light so far. Great beam, long throw and not too narrow. Only thing I do not like is the switch threading was trash. Took the light apart when it got here, because that's what I do. It came off with a lot of effort. When I went to put it back on, it took a wrench. So now the switch is stuck on the light body. Which is ok, unless the switch breaks. Still pleased, the light works, the switch is easy to use, and feels solid. Thanks so much for the advice on this topic. Will try out a higher end light body when I have some extra money.
I'm wondering if by torqueing the tailcap on with a wrench (excessively?), perhaps the cells were stressed significantly in compression, and during subsequent use their thermal expansion 'pushed them over the edge' into a short circuit condition.

Just speculation of course. This particular lithium chemistry has been considered inherently safe, but if an internal short-circuit occurred in the cell, I'm wondering if all bets were off because of the substantial chemical energy stored in the cells.

Last edited:

robert.t

Enlightened
I'm wondering if by torqueing the tailcap on with a wrench (excessively?), perhaps the cells were stressed significantly in compression, and during subsequent use their thermal expansion 'pushed them over the edge' into a short circuit condition.

I'm not familiar with this exact model, but doesn't it have a spring that would give enough play that it would be impossible to crush the cells just by over tightening the tailcap?

Status
Not open for further replies.