SolarForce RED p60 drop-in! (plus an XM-L drop-in)

Dave H

Newly Enlightened
Anybody know what the difference between surefire filters F26 and FM35 is besides $15 in price?

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anybody know what the difference between surefire filters F26 and FM35 is besides $15 in price?

Since you couldn't bother to look 'em up...the F26 is a friction fit cover with a filter that you can flip up for white light. The FM35 has a locking ring which keeps it in place better and has a release tab for the spring loaded filter cover which is held along the flashlight body when not in place over the emitter.

Dave H

Newly Enlightened
lightfooted I appreciate the info. I did look them up however the description given doesn't really make that clear.

kzb

Newly Enlightened
It seems a bit nuts to me, make a blue LED, cover it with phosphor to downgrade the effective temperature spectrum slightly, then put a red filter on it. Very inefficient, when red LEDs themselves are available.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
It seems a bit nuts to me, make a blue LED, cover it with phosphor to downgrade the effective temperature spectrum slightly, then put a red filter on it. Very inefficient, when red LEDs themselves are available.
I have yes to see a dark red led over 1 watt, if you liked the deep red of 640-680nm for night visions sake, then you'd understand.

For me the XPE red led is great, especially in a Zebralight H51FR. There are a couple astronomy buffs, and preserving night vision is important, so they'd rather have 10 lumens at 640nm Over 200 lumens at 620nm

A10K

Newly Enlightened
The only "deep red" LEDs I know of are some off-brand you can get from LEDgroupbuy.com, they're listed as 660nm and come in 20mm stars at about $2 a pop. I have 2 on my bike and they can run at about 700ma max current, same as a Red XP-E (though they're probably not as resistant to over-driving). Looks like a Luxeon or Bridgelux package. They're not the best at focusing, though.

Latest posts