(SOLD OUT) Dark Sucks Run #1 (1x18650, MCE, 2.8A, McClicky, 500 lumens)

cw_mi

Enlightened
Re: Dark Sucks Production Run #1 Available Now (1x18650, MCE, 2.8A, McClicky, 500 lum

To anyone that is on the fence about this light, just get one. Jason is great to deal with and the light is very nice. With the new addition of the pocket clip it makes it very close to an EDC light.. depending on what your wearing. I use mine for walks at night and it also does nightstand duty.

archer6817j

Enlightened
Re: Dark Sucks Production Run #1 Available Now (1x18650, MCE, 2.8A, McClicky, 500 lum

1. Will you be offering in neutral XML? If not, how hard would it be to do an emitter swap?

Forgot to address this one. An emitter swap is quite easy. I designed this light specifically with modders in mind. Of course I'm happy to do the swap as well...for example if you want to send me the LED you want to use. As long as it's on a 20mm star (1.6-2mm thick) it should fit fine.

shomie911

Enlightened

Hi archer6817j,

I've been very interested in this light, just waiting for my next paycheck to offset the cost.

A few questions/statements first:

For the High-CRI XPG emitter would a light orange peel reflector be an option? If not, does the boom reflector collimate the light or is it all flood? (White-wall beamshots?)

I would be HIGHLY interested in an option for Cerakote finishing in either Grey, Orange, Black, or White. (In order of preference.)

I would prefer the light to be two-mode H-L (No memory, always starts on high.)

Some general comments:

I like the original design the best. Very clean.

The clip looks great.

Glow powder around the emitter is a nice touch.

If Cerakote isn't possible, I think full-brushed and full-tumbled are the best looking finishes.

Your lights look great, it may be slow now, but I think they will catch on soon.

Thanks in advance for the answers to my questions.

Last edited:

archer6817j

Enlightened

>> For the High-CRI XPG emitter would a light orange peel reflector be an option? If not, does the boom reflector collimate the light or is it all flood? (White-wall beamshots?)

The Ledil Boom is basically an OP reflector. Technically it produces a 10 degree (FWHM) beam but I consider this a flood light. I've measured this and it's accurate, but the MCE exhibits a less intense hot spot (even though it's 20 degrees total angle) and a huge amount of flood. The shot below is with the MCE, I don't have any with the XPG. The smaller die of the XPG still produces a smaller center spot, but output is far less. This photo is taken @ 1m.

MCE-boom.jpg

>> I would be HIGHLY interested in an option for Cerakote finishing in either Grey, Orange, Black, or White. (In order of preference.)

Can anyone post a pic of their Cerakote light that is "unthreaded?" I want to see how the threads are handled. This isn't going to be an option in the short term but I'd like to get thinking about it.

>> I would prefer the light to be two-mode H-L (No memory, always starts on high.)

Right now I'm stuck with what I've got for drivers. I buy them off the shelf. I think I can mod the driver to only output LOW/HIGH but it will still have last mode memory, not high every time.

>> I like the original design the best. Very clean.

>> The clip looks great.

Thanks and thanks!

>> Glow powder around the emitter is a nice touch.

It's actually a GITD o-ring that fits around the dome :)

>> Your lights look great, it may be slow now, but I think they will catch on soon.

Sure hope so :) and thanks again for your questions and interest!

shomie911

Enlightened

I appreciate the reply. :thumbsup:

An option for Warm XM-L's would undoubtedly be a selling point.

archer6817j

Enlightened

Okay folks. I just ordered some LEDs:

- neutral XMLs (5000K)
- U2 XML's (5700K)
- neutral MCEs (4000K)
- the insano "M Bin" MCE which is the brightest MCE ever.

I got about ten each so quantities are limited. Anyone want to pull the trigger and pre-order :)

jimtesla

Newly Enlightened

the insano m-bin mce what type of spec with this how bright is brightest

you ask what would it take to pull the trigger i was looking at the 8th run pocket rocket its 130.00

how does yours compare im a noob looking for the most bang for my buck just having a hard time deciding

i want my first purchase to be the main everyday go to light and that i dont have to say darn i should have bought that one

i also want it to last and want the wow factor when others check it out.....

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ill be curious to see how the M bin MCE compares to the U2 XM-L

Id bet the U2 XM-L has a better tint and beam?

:thumbsup:

archer6817j

Enlightened
So far I'd say the MCE easily beats the XML for overall beam quality. The XML tends to have a lot if tint shift. Doesn't really matter in practice though. I also don't have any choice regarding tint on the M bin. I imagine it will be quite cold/blue if it's putting out more lumens...and it's nearly twice the price of a regular MCE.

So far it seems like you need a larger reflector than what I'm using to capture more output from the XML as well.

jimtesla

Newly Enlightened

can you do a blue glow ring

archer6817j

Enlightened

Nope, don't have any blue glow-rings but that would be cool!

archer6817j

Enlightened

Hi folks,

Just wanted to let you know I completed my first round of lumen testing based on ANSI FL1 standards: lumens from 3 separate samples taken @ 30 seconds after turn on.

I'm excited to say the result is an average of 541 lumens OTF! I'm going to keep the reported lumens at 500 for the time being, just to be conservative. These readings were taken in my own sphere, not by a laboratory, so while they aren't "Official" they are as close as I can get at the moment.

Can I offer anyone a light? :)

sassaquin

Enlightened

Would you be interested in a 1x123 that was the same size but shorter? No plans for that but if there is demand I'll consider it :)
Dimensions are 1.2" diameter head. 1" diameter body. 5.75" overall length. Complete specs can be found here: http://darksucks.com/store_alpha2.html[/QUOTE]

I have been following your blog and sales thread anxiously awaiting announcement of a 1x123 light. The smaller you can make the light, the better. Is it me, or does it seems like the small (dimensions) lights attract the most interest? If you build it, they will come (hopefully).

For me, lumens are nice but quality, dependability and looks are what count the most.

jimtesla

Newly Enlightened

future owner

so on another thread you said you bought some trits

any upgrades in the future for current owners who want a trit in there lights

archer6817j

Enlightened

I did buy some tritium but not sure how that will make it into production lights yet. I've been working on a metal button instead of the rubber button, and hope to install a trit there. My intent was the metal button could be a direct replacement for the rubber, with the same tailcap.

Since I've switched to the McClicky that makes it a little harder. I'm trying to work out a solution, but the easiest one (for me) is to change the tailcap a little, but that would mean the metal button would not fit existing lights. In that case, and option would be to offer an 'upgrade' tailcap as a complete assembly. I don't expect to have a production solution any time soon though.

I would however, be interested to hear from people that would buy a light if it had a metal button and a tritium installed. Expect the corresponding price increase :)

jimtesla

Newly Enlightened

would buy

would also upgrade

would love a triangle look like the picture is sent you with your water mark in the middle

this would make your light off the hook

archer6817j

Enlightened

Getting close to sold out the most popular styles! Don't forget I'm running a father's day special...Ti clip for $1.00. After that it will go up to the standard price of $25.00.

TiClip-FDS.jpg

KVoimakas

Newly Enlightened

Still saving up here. Unless you take firearms in trade? ;-)

Latest posts