Spike Light - V3

maddog

Enlightened
maddog - I haven't forgotten! Though I thought you might have lost interest since I've made you wait so long. Sorry about that, I just kept finding new ways to improve it.

LOL .... never, your stuff is da bomb! can't wait to see all the new goodies on it.

Baddog

Newly Enlightened
I'm in, let the fun begin;)

ahh yes, wouldnt mind a warm xml up front, three speed and perhaps a battery pack set up with 26650's that can be attached to an upper arm or hip belt...oh yes and a stable headband for hanging upside down:)

Last edited:

ahorton

Enlightened
:) You keen guys make me smile. You haven't even seen it yet!

Here comes teaser number 4:
[Geek Warning]
The V3 has a microcontroller which can be reprogrammed by the owner. This means you can connect it to your computer and download a new UI if you don't like the one you selected when you bought it.

Maybe you thought you wanted 4 modes but then realise you hate the 2nd lowest one. --> Just plug it in and download a 3-mode UI!
Or you wish the lowest mode was much lower. --> Plug it in and download a UI with an ultra-low mode.
Want to use single-clicks to turn it on, but double-clicks to turn it off? --> ... you get the idea...
Want to add a strobe?
Want ramping instead of modes?
Want one of the modes to be a clock?
Want to make the battery indicator have 10 levels instead of 5?
Want a timer which lets you choose a number of minutes or hours and then flashes when the time is up?
Want one mode to be a momentary-on to use like a flashlight?
Want to record a message in Morse code then replay it over and over until the battery runs out?
.... . .-.. .--. / -- . / .. / .... .- ...- . / .-. ..- -. / --- ..- - / --- ..-. / -... . . .-. / .... . .-.. .--. / -- . / .. / .... .- ...- . / .-. ..- -. / --- ..- - / --- ..-. / -... . . .-.

... There's one switch and 3 LEDs. After that it's up to you to use your imagination.

There are 2 catches:

1. You do need an extra bit of hardware. I use a simple AVRISP MKII which cost me about $30. This goes between your USB port and the V3. Setting it up will be a bit tricky the first time but I'll give instructions. If you can set up a printer, an internet connection or a router, then you can set this thing up pretty easily.

2. Not everyone knows how to program a microcontroller. If you don't want to learn, then you'll need to rely on other people writing the software. I'll host anything that people want to write and upload. Hopefully between me and any other geeks out there we'll be able to build up a database of UIs.

... Sorry, but the GPS, touch screen, wireless and HD video camera will not be available until the V5.:nana:

Last edited:

ahorton

Enlightened
Possible, but you wouldn't want them. They're twice as heavy on your head.

nein166

Flashlight Enthusiast
OOh arm belt with batteries and LCD read out and voice control! just geek dreaming

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
If yer using a pack 18650 makes more sense than 26650
3100mah 18650s are more energy dense.

ahorton

Enlightened
Yeah the good quality 2900 and 3100 cells are hard to go past these days. Even the cheaper Xtar 2600mAh cells come pretty close to their rated capacity. I reckon two 3100 mAh cells would be worth the money. That gives at least 8 hours of (approx) 250 neutral lumens which is a very comfortable walking / running light.

The IMR cells aren't really justified in the V3. The most it can draw is 2.4A which is only 1.2A from each cell in a 2P pack.

Baddog

Newly Enlightened
If yer using a pack 18650 makes more sense than 26650
3100mah 18650s are more energy dense.
all this is true, just a bit concerned about safety...I mean what if u slip, fall, and the 18650's take a hit...

simples

Newly Enlightened
all this is true, just a bit concerned about safety...I mean what if u slip, fall, and the 18650's take a hit...

Not a lot I would think. You might bust your arm, and why would 26650's be any better?

3100 MAH 18650's ??????????????

Baddog

Newly Enlightened
Not a lot I would think. You might bust your arm, and why would 26650's be any better?

3100 MAH 18650's ??????????????
feel free to take a regular 18650 and smack it with a hammer, if u survive that try it with an IMR. :shakehead

simples

Newly Enlightened
feel free to take a regular 18650 and smack it with a hammer, if u survive that try it with an IMR. :shakehead

I pitched one at a wall from 30 foot away. Didnt do a lot other than cease to work.

To be fair, I wouldn't lump one with a hammer for fun, any more than I'd lump the back of my hand with a hammer. I would however chance lumping the 18650 before I lumped my hand.

The thing is that I know, and can admit, that I know naff all about the chemistry etc of li-ion cells.
But you just couldn't make it up :shakehead

ahorton

Enlightened
ifor powell - ATtiny85V.

simples - Have a look at the Panasonic (and re-branded) 3100mAh cells.

Baddog - Please don't smack anyone wearing my headlamps with a hammer.

simples

Newly Enlightened
simples - Have a look at the Panasonic (and re-branded) 3100mAh cells.

Thanks Ahorton. Will have a look.
Was aware that Panasonic 'alledgedly' did some 2900 cells, but try getting them. Conveniently kept for there own use, if they did actually deliver on the 2900. Lots of fake stuff around too. Have you got any links for 3100 cells, ebay sellers excluded obviously. I remain to be convinced. Hasn't the smart money been on 2600 Sanyo or Panasonic if you can find genuine ones, and these are unprotected tagged cells for oem pack builders, not hong kong bucket shop flashshite protected cells ? Probably worth checking out what the top end pro lamp builders use. You are no doubt putting a lot of money into machining after all, would be a shame to spoil it. Out of interest, what sort of volume of machinings did you need to commit to ???

Last edited:

ahorton

Enlightened
I can't post links, but look up AW and Redilast for the 2900 and 3100 mAh Panasonics cells. These guys add protection circuits and can be found in our very own CPF marketplace.

Personally I use 2600 Sanyo cells, just because they are good value for money. The black/red/flame/hologram trustfires from DX are ok too considering how cheap they are. I wouldn't go any cheaper than them. I've also bought quite a few cells from FJD and they were fine. Similar price and quality to the Sanyo cells (mid-range).

My headlight runs are always small (20-40). So they'll never be mainstream or cheap. That's fine. The initial aim was just to make them for myself and friends, but this was too expensive. So I make enough extras to sell and bring the overall cost down. The profit from the previous batch lets me waste money being a perfectionist during the development. Eg, getting the aspheric lenses made from scratch isn't cheap, but you end up with what you actually want. I consider myself pretty lucky to be able to do this as a hobby and stay afloat.

It might be nice oneday to do a run of 100 units and really bring the cost down, but that kind of quantity would take all the fun out of assembling them.