Spike Light - V3

simples

Newly Enlightened
Thanks ahorton. I had heard about people rewrapping sanyo and panasonic cells with protection circuits, but had no idea of the branding. I'll look up AW and Redilast.

Appreciate that machining a handful of lights is not going to be cheap. Credit to you for having a go. Look forward to seeing your efforts.

:clap:

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ahorton - if it's not too OT can you tell us about your fabrication shop? I assume you have some sort of CNC capacity for small runs...a lathe, a mill, both?

Last edited:

ahorton

Enlightened
Actually I don't have any of the stuff myself. It's all done through commercial machine shops (hence the cost).

I keep telling myself that I should buy a small CNC mill and save money, but I'm worried that it will become a hobby in itself. I already spend too much time with CAD instead of running around the bush. The guys I use also handle the sandblasting and annodising.

In order to keep the costs down, I let them do my jobs whenever it's convenient for them (between the bigger jobs). Sometimes this means a 6 week turn around but that's ok.

One thing I do want to buy is a reasonable 3D printer. Then I can make prototypes quickly and cheaply. With a bit of laser cut aluminium, in the right place, I could even turn the LEDs on and have a functioning prototype in under a day.

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
OT again (sorry) - yes, your CNC mill would become its own hobby. But nowadays you don't need your own CNC mill, you just write the code for someone else's CNC mill. But wait, there's more-- many 3D modeling programs write the code for you! So all you have to do (I say "all" as if it's easy--) is learn the 3D modeling software and hit "send" to the machine shop when you're done. Google Sketchup is what our machinist's club promotes. It's free. Maybe your CAD program writes machine code too, or a translator is available. Yes, the 3D printer is a boffo idea. You might be able to hire that out, too. I have a Sieg X3--too bad you're not my neighbor. No, wait, that's probably a good thing.

ahorton

Enlightened
Baddog - Sorry I don't do the rubber coating anymore. The stuff was horrible to work with. That's one of the reasons the V3 has a more conventional plastic battery case. I have played around with a few silicone coatings though. Much nicer feel to them and much more durable too. Too much work at this point, but it's on my to-do list to develop some techniques and equipment to speed up the process.

Bolster - OT is fine. This whole thread is really me just wasting time while I have nothing to design and keep my mind busy. My CAD doesn't do machine code but I think my machinist translates it all pretty quickly. Sometimes he steps in and changes a few things manually but not often. I do plan to learn to code oneday and that might change things a bit. An X3 would be a great mill to have in the shed. I've looked at them a few times. It's not the up-front cost that puts me off, it's all the tooling that goes with it and the time. Oneday maybe..

kevinm

Enlightened
I keep telling myself that I should buy a small CNC mill and save money, but I'm worried that it will become a hobby in itself. I already spend too much time with CAD instead of running around the bush. The guys I use also handle the sandblasting and annodising.

One thing I do want to buy is a reasonable 3D printer. Then I can make prototypes quickly and cheaply. With a bit of laser cut aluminium, in the right place, I could even turn the LEDs on and have a functioning prototype in under a day.

I wish I could afford a CNC machine; instead I spend all my time in the Physics Department, re-machining stuff. They tell me the goal is to turn big blocks of metal into little blocks of metal.

Have you seen the MakerBot? It's a cheap 3D printer.

And I feel your prototyping pain. I sent went through 10 revisions at least before I decided I had the kinks worked out!:duh2:

ahorton

Enlightened
The funny thing is that I work in the mechanical engeering school of a university and my office is within 20m of the machine labs. It's still quicker and easier for me to use the commercial machine shops.

The Makerbot is fine but I would go a bit further up the market to something that can double as a (slow) CNC router. The prototyping isn't pain though. Designing is the fun bit!

borrower

Enlightened
<bump>... Ash, it's been days since a trickle of information... how about you throw us a weight number?

ahorton

Enlightened
Teaser number 5: It has a whole new lens which I designed specifically for the V3. Similar material (BK7) and quality to my aspherics, but a new mould was made along with whole batch of funny shaped lenses. The manufacturer thought I was crazy. They said they couldn't imagine how it would be useful for anything.

Last edited:

kevinm

Enlightened
Teaser number 5: It has a whole new lens which I designed specifically for the V3. Similar material (BK7) and quality to my aspherics, but a new mould was made along with whole batch of funny shaped lenses. The manufacturer thought I was crazy. They said they couldn't imagine how it would be useful for anything.

It's a Bat Signal! :)

Th232

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kinda like multi-focals for headlamps, an uneven distribution so that you can still see the ground next to your feet, but still get aspheric-like throw out *there* in the distance?

ahorton

Enlightened
Out of interest, what sort of image does 'Road Train' conjure in your mind? I'm trying to choose a name for the high power (2000+ lumen) variant mentioned earlier.

I suspect that it's more of an Australian term, but that probably won't stop me using it.

nein166

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thats the term for hauling 2 trailers behind a semi right, for shipping through the outback correct?

-Something you don't want to stand in the way of
or
-cane toad juice everywhere

ahorton

Enlightened
-cane toad juice everywhere

... ah, you get to be an honorary Aussie now!

try 'great white pointer' mate

A good Aussie name to be sure, but it doesn't have enough throw to really be a pointer, is a bit of a mouthful and I can't help but think of golf (I don't want to think of golf). I'm from Mt Isa, so it's probably in my mind more than others.

Last edited:

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
"map o tazzy?"
;)

Road Train sounds cool.
Those bush trucks usually have crazy light set ups yah?