SPY 007 Gunner Grip option

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dave, as per our email exchange please accept my order for 1 SPY XPG with cool white emitter, and stone wash gunner grip for $1395.00 plus shipping. PayPal at the ready awaiting your word "go!"

I realize I said neutral white in my email, but I've had a change of heart! New email inbound

Thank you!

(Posted in the "Spy 007 sales thread #5, too... but I want only 1!):twothumbs

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
Dave, as per our email exchange please accept my order for 1 SPY XPG with cool white emitter, and stone wash gunner grip for $1395.00 plus shipping. PayPal at the ready awaiting your word "go!"

I realize I said neutral white in my email, but I've had a change of heart! New email inbound

Thank you!

Ha, I knew something bada$$ was coming with your huge sell-off!! :rock:

I also changed from neutral to cool white when I first ordered, no regrets on that.

You will love this SW GG Spy007. ;)

Go ahead and order two green trits from Bart, and hit up Art of the Hide for a holester!!! :D

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thank you!

Got the change to Cool White. It's in the works.

Cheers
Dave

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
You will love it. It quickly became my favourite and rarely leaves me as an EDC.

It's here!! And you were/are right - I love it. I waffled over spending the extra $$ for the SWGG finish, but I'm so glad that I did. Dropped it in my pocket with my keys and never looked back! This after I put a tiny bead on it that I still had from the last time I was smart enough to own Spies!

The finish is silky - as some have said, almost soft. The gunner grip feels 'right' in my hand. I have large hands, and this light falls perfectly into my grip with the knob in the 'down' position, and that gunner grip seems to offer a more secure feel when holding the light.

I'll use this one - all the time. Man, oh man, have I missed having a Spy, and I didn't really realize how much!

Thanks, Dave!!

Zandar

Enlightened
Congrats run4jc, I love my Spy007 SWGG as well , definitely worth the extra $. I went with the bright white x-ml. Man it is insanely bright on 3000 mah. Now I'm working on a holster for it with m-thew.

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dan,

Glad you love it, I knew you would. Isn't it amazing how the SS finish makes metal feel soft to the touch. Enjoy it - I know you will - wish I had the extra $$ to get one but I would love to save up for XM-L version with a SWGG finish if Dave ever has another XM-L run.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, friends! Expect a plethora of photos and rampant superlatives tomorrow!!:D

Fot now, yes Sean - as you, Brandon and others accurately pointed out, the metal has a silky smooth feel to it, while the gg gives an easy to grip texture. Awesome.

Last edited:

coloradogps

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congratulations, run4jc :thumbsup:

I am looking forward to seeing photos of your new SPY007 :wave:

davidhunternyc

Newly Enlightened
I am very new to custom LED flashlights and I am fascinated by these customs on this forum. Being an artist, I am accustomed to festishizing inanimate objects and, as I have discovered, so has everyone on these threads too. (Freud would have field day on these forums.) I have yet to choose a favorite custom flashlight but the Spy 007's are certainly at the top of my lust list. With that said, the fetishist in me is anal retentive about details and I hope that my suggestion will be greeted with understanding rather than consternation.

First off, the minimalist in me loves the unadulterated smooth surface of the Spy 007 but the gunner grip option spatially fills that large, rather empty looking grip space as well as making the flashlight more ergonomic. I'm leaning towards the belief that the gunner grip makes the 007 more cohesive visually and functionally (the jury is still out, however).

Now for the suggestion. Bear with me. For future 007's, use the same gunner grip detailing for the knob detailing. As of now, the two patterns are different and to my eye, they clash visually. I think that using the same detailing for the grip and the knob would further push the aesthetics of the 007 into a more cohesive whole. (Of the two patterns, I prefer the gunner grip pattern to the square pattern used on the knob.)

Some of you will conclude that I am being rude by offering this suggestion. This is not my intention. I respect the craftsmanship of the Spy 007 immensely. I am offering just another way of thinking through the visuals that might not have been considered before. Spending a couple of thousand dollars on a flashlight would make most people in the world aghast with disbelief so I hope that those that are reading this will be crazy enough to consider such extreme attention to details. I hope to someday own one of these masterpieces.

Last edited:

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am very new to custom LED flashlights and I am fascinated by these customs on this forum. Being an artist, I am accustomed to festishizing inanimate objects and, as I have discovered, so has everyone on these threads too. (Freud would have field day on these forums.) I have yet to choose a favorite custom flashlight but the Spy 007's are certainly at the top of my lust list. With that said, the fetishist in me is anal retentive about details and I hope that my suggestion will be greeted with understanding rather than consternation.

First off, the minimalist in me loves the unadulterated smooth surface of the Spy 007 but the gunner grip option spatially fills that large, rather empty looking grip space as well as making the flashlight more ergonomic. I'm leaning towards the belief that the gunner grip makes the 007 more cohesive visually and functionally (the jury is still out, however).

Now for the suggestion. Bear with me. For future 007's, use the same gunner grip detailing for the knob detailing. As of now, the two patterns are different and to my eye, they clash visually. I think that using the same detailing for the grip and the knob would further push the aesthetics of the 007 into a more cohesive whole. (Of the two patterns, I prefer the gunner grip pattern to the square pattern used on the knob.)

Some of you will conclude that I am being rude by offering this suggestion. This is not my intention. I respect the craftsmanship of the Spy 007 immensely. I am offering just another way of thinking through the visuals that might not have been considered before. Spending a couple of thousand dollars on a flashlight would make most people in the world aghast with disbelief so I hope that those that are reading this will be crazy enough to consider such extreme attention to details. I hope to someday own one of these masterpieces.

Welcome David - from your user name the logical assumption is that you reside in New York City - I wish you the best as "Sandy" plows through the mid Atlantic and Northeast.

Just a couple of short comments....if you are like many here, you might find that going ahead and purchasing a Spy early in your "flashaholism" is actually a great way to SAVE money. As an EDC it has few - if any - equals. Since contracting this 'affliction' I've spent (literally) thou$ands in search of the next big thing....800 lumen monsters, tiny key ring lights, titanium treasures - on and on. When I finally broke down and bought my first Spy it was like I had "found it." Oh, I keep a few high lumen monsters and a few other titanium treasures, but more often than now my SWGG Spy is in my pocket. In my sig line is a link to a pseudo review I did on my SWGG Spy 007 XPG, and you may have looked at the many close up / macro photos.

Interesting idea on the knob....but as an owner of a plain finish and a SWGG, I'll offer my thoughts....the square detailing on the knob in 'normal use' to the naked eye actually looks nice compared to either finish. The detail is so small that it's tough to notice that the knob has square cut detail versus the round cut body detail on the SWGG. Certain "to each his or her own", but for me, it looks great the way it is.

I won't speak for Data - he makes his own creative decisions - but I thought I'd share my own thoughts! And welcome!

:welcome:

Last edited:

davidhunternyc

Newly Enlightened
Thank you run4jc for the welcoming comments. It was very nice of you. Yes, I do live in NYC and, yes, I now own just one flashlight. With Hurricane Sandy knocking on my front door, when I woke up this morning, still in my P.J.'s, I went downstairs to the hardware store and bought the only flashlight I could find; a Maglite Mini with "Super-Bright Xenon Lamp". Of course it is, "Engineered for Brilliance" too. It has a 5 hr. 15 min. run time and I bought plenty of batteries. With that said I think I just wasted $20. Oh well, it will have to do for this impending apocalypse.

Thank you too for encouraging me to get a Spy 007. You are too funny. Getting a Spy will actually SAVE me money! Oh, I completely agree with your twisted thinking. Might as well just take the plunge and get the best from the start and then I won't be tempted by anything else. The only other flashlight I lusted after was one that never made it into production; the Lumencraft Polaris Sapphire. The Lumencraft was so beautiful it made my stomach hurt. The 007 is now the only other flashlight I would love to own. I have my eye on the XM-L, bead blasted, GG, and I was wondering if the two o-rings around the knob could be replaced with circular trits. You have both a plain and SWGG 007. Awesome! I know, crazy question: If you had to choose just one 007 to keep would you keep the smooth 007 or the stone washed gunner grip version?

If I bought an 007, I would ask if there were any way to create the GG pattern for the knob. I would just like it for consistency and just because I'm anal retentive. Two different patterns is like scratching on the chalkboard for me. (Sometimes I wonder if I have a mild form of autism.) Perhaps another alternative, especially because you like the square pattern on the knob, is to use the square pattern on the grip too. I wonder which of the two patterns would look the best and have the nicest hand feel. Do I see a SWSG in your future?

Oh, and finally, I read your Ode to a Spy. In fact, yesterday I read it over and over again. It is my favorite review on the 007 to date. Psuedo review? You are awfully modest! The review was just fantastic and I will read it again today while standing in 20 feet of water. Cheers!

Last edited:

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you too for encouraging me to get a Spy 007. You are too funny. Getting a Spy will actually SAVE me money! Oh, I completely agree with your twisted thinking. Might as well just take the plunge and get the best from the start and then I won't be tempted by anything else. The only other flashlight I lusted after was one that never made it into production; the Lumencraft Polaris Sapphire. The Lumencraft was so beautiful it made my stomach hurt. The 007 is now the only other flashlight I would love to own. I have my eye on the XM-L, bead blasted, and I was wondering if the two o-rings around the knob could be replaced with circular trits. You have both a plain and SWGG 007. Awesome! I know, crazy question: If you had to choose just one 007 to keep would you keep the smooth 007 or the stone washed gunner grip version?
I'd keep the SWGG...although I don't baby my 'plain' finish, and once you've given it the first few surface marks you don't really care any more, the SWGG has a very nice 'feel' that has been mentioned multiple times. I've carried it 90% of the time since getting it back in July - always in my right pocket with house keys and pocket change - and it looks as good as the day I received it. Plus that nice, grippy surface....;)

If I bought an 007, I would ask if there were any way to create the GG pattern for the knob. I would just like it for consistency and just because I'm anal retentive. Two different patterns is like scratching on the chalkboard for me. (Sometimes I wonder if I have a mild form of autism.) Perhaps another alternative, especially because you like the square pattern on the knob, is to use the square pattern on the grip too. I wonder which of the two patterns would look the best and have the nicest hand feel. Do I see a SWSG in your future?

This is Dave's thread, and I don't want to take it off track, but perhaps this is on topic...

While I have VERY limited knowledge of the various factors associated with the programming and operation of a CNC machine, I do know that Dave spent countless hours programming the machine to create the GG. Frankly, I think the price is a BARGAIN - yes, a bargain. It takes 2 days for the SWGG process alone. So having said that, my instincts say that the odds of a new grip for the light, or a new patter for the knob, are probably fairly low.

To further encourage you, the Spy is incredibly robust. Yes, it's 'purdy', but it's also strong. Quite a hefty feel in one's hand, regardless of the finish. And in times when battery life is important, the amazingly low settings will run forever. Yet when light is needed a near 300 lumen beam is at the ready.

You might enjoy taking a peek over here at the way it held up versus a few "titan" lights - some of them quite large. As has been said many times, the most useful light is the one that you have with you, and the size and flexibility of the Spy makes it very likely that you'll have it with you. And you might have already seen this thread, where many others weigh in on whether or not they "Spy." ;)

Good luck with the storm! I'm right on the beltway outside DC, and we are enjoying LOTS of wind and rain already!

davidhunternyc

Newly Enlightened
"I've carried it 90% of the time since getting it back in July - always in my right pocket with house keys and pocket change - and it looks as good as the day I received it."

Wow, really, stone washing makes the 007 this durable? Your keys do not scratch the surface at all? I might change my mind and decide to get a SWGG. I wonder too if I got a SWGG if I can then get it bead blasted or if stonewashing the surface wouldn't be needed if I decided to get it bead blasted.

But you are right. This thread is Dave's thread and it is about the gunner grip, not about surface treatments. Sorry, Dave.

10zmjoi.png

Last edited: