SPY 007 Gunner Grip option

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wow, really, stone washing makes the 007 this durable? Your keys do not scratch the surface at all? I might change my mind and decide to get a SWGG. I wonder too if I got a SWGG if I can then get it bead blasted or if stonewashing the surface wouldn't be needed if I decided to get it bead blasted.

I think carrying it with keys probably does scratch it, but it only adds to the 'scratches' purposely created by the stonewashing? There have been many discussions by members ranging from :eek: "don't scratch my precious" to :nana: "USE IT!" I fall into the latter category.

But back to the durability, as you know, titanium is already a forgiving surface. Scratches are easily removed by polishing or buffing, which is, in essence, lifting a small amount of surface away and leaving a clean surface. No doubt, an unscratched Spy surface is beautiful.

However, my buddy Scout24 'pocket washed' his with constant carry in his pocket with keys, etc. and he loves the patina it has taken on.

So, IMHO, the stonewashing coupled with the gunner grip creates a surface in which additional marks/scratches simply perpetuate the original finish.

Again, I think this conversation is probably appropriate since this is the SWGG thread, but if not, Dave and mods, I apologize.

(But as I said in my thread, the SWGG is worth every penny!!!) :thumbsup:

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Wow, really, stone washing makes the 007 this durable? Your keys do not scratch the surface at all? I might change my mind and decide to get a SWGG. I wonder too if I got a SWGG if I can then get it bead blasted or if stonewashing the surface wouldn't be needed if I decided to get it bead blasted.
Stonewashing and bead blasting are almost polar opposites - bead blasted finishes are very fragile, but since stonewashing gives a finish that is essentially a lot of scuff marks covering the whole light, additional scuffs simply don't show because they end up blending with the existing finish.
With the heft the 007 has, I would definitely get the gunner grip version if I were ever to get another.

davidhunternyc

Newly Enlightened
Stonewashing and bead blasting are almost polar opposites - bead blasted finishes are very fragile, but since stonewashing gives a finish that is essentially a lot of scuff marks covering the whole light, additional scuffs simply don't show because they end up blending with the existing finish.
With the heft the 007 has, I would definitely get the gunner grip version if I were ever to get another.

As you can gather, I am in love with the stealth version of the 007 (like the bluing on a gun) but you said that the bead blasted finish is very fragile. Why is it so fragile? If it is strictly just a surface treatment, if scratched, will the shiny titanium show underneath?

2m3iwyo.jpg

Last edited:

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
As you can gather, I am in love with the stealth version of the 007 but you said that the bead blasted finish is very fragile. Why is it so fragile? If it is strictly just a surface treatment, if scratched, will the shiny titanium show underneath?

Pretty much. As kaichu dento accurately stated, stonewashing is a bunch of scuffs. I'll add by saying that you could EVENTUALLY achieve that surface on a plain finish one just by carrying it, but I like the even treatment that comes from Dave.

Plus the SWGG is unique and a bit more rare, which I like...

:)

Oh, and it's worth adding - working with Data (Dave) is awesome. He is a true artist and craftsman, and he wants his customers to be completely satisfied. Just don't be in a hurry - quality takes time!!

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe the way that Dave makes his stonewash finish is by bead blasting the surfaces and then stone washing them. Possibly in several cycles.

From what I have read bead blasting is usually not used as a finish coat. It's used as a prep tool to prepare metals for painting. On a few bb lights I've had the problem with a pure bb finish has been a smearing type of damage. Just the lightest rub against something (not even metal) can cause a smear mark. My best example would be the microsuede fabric on couches. You know how when all of the surface is rubbed one way you can take a finger and rub against the grain and it becomes very visible as a line - that's my experience with bb mars. And you can't fix it without another bb finish.

I love stonewash - I would call it the distressed look. In the same way that you can age furniture to a distressed look the stonewash on metla makes it look like it been carried for years. The way Dave does it (possibly because of the pre-bb) it makes the metal surface butter smooth to the feel. It's quite amazing.

Obijuan Kenobe

Flashlight Enthusiast
My useless guess is that he does several cycles of stone washing with varying sizes of stones.

Bead blasting is as SOYCD described akin to a very fine texturing, and thus much more susceptible to damage than say anodized Ti.

I would love to see what UKmidnight could do with a SPY. My guess is he could make a hell of a camo version, for example.

I am still trying to decide if I have the guts to sell what needs to be sold to get into a Tri V2. Agony.

obi

davidhunternyc

Newly Enlightened
You guys. Serious question here. I am absolutely new to the world of flashlights, especially customs. Are these flighlights really investments? It seems that technology changes so fast that these artisinal flashlights can be soon outdated. For instance, I have been eyeing the Olight S10 just to get my first flashlight. Since it is new, is the S10 technologically superior to the Spy 007?

Last edited:

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well - I see it like this. Most of the flashlights we buy offer different LEDs, different UIs, different levels, more levels, less levels, etc. With the Spy you have four banks of 6 levels each. With the XP-G each of those six levels can be set anywhere from 1.4A all the way down to a fireflies but at 1mA increments. Changed whenever and however you want. The light has good throw and good flood. The technology in this light is, IMO, well beyond that of any other light out there still. I keep one bank set for nighttime indoor usage, one set for more day to day stuff with slightly higher levels and a third set for outdoor walks and stuff - it does replace the need for multiple lights.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with SOYCD. As for it being an "investment", I suppose (picking nits) that depends on your definition of investment. I personally say, "Yes, absolutely" for many of the reasons that SOYCD listed. Not so much for the expectation of an increase in value, but more for the value it brings relative to the price.

If you purchase a "technologically superior" (debatable) light such as the light you mention and the literally hundreds of "me, too" lights like it, you will enjoy whatever virtues they bring as it relates to nothing more than providing light - which is, of course, the ultimate goal.

Watches tell time. A $15 blister pack WalMart special will tell time. A Rolex also tells time. Why would someone pay the premium? Pride of ownership? Quality of construction? Timeless design? Dunno - to each his or her own.

Same analogy COULD be applied here, and this debate goes on forever in the forums - people either understand it or they don't.

As far as technology is concerned, I might argue that the current Spy is technologically superior to most lights out there, for the reasons that Sean mentions ^.

To me personally, the SWGG Spy is the ultimate in the fusion of creative design, technology and performance - coupled with just a bit of rarity and a great deal of quality. And that fact that an artisan/craftsman/engineer just up the road in PA conceived, designed and built each one just adds to the desirability.

Whoa - I drifted again into rampant verbosity. Sorry. But to keep the thread on track, the SWGG Spy is an amazing light. I think you've been seriously bitten by the bug - I suggest you purchase an inexpensive LED light to hold you over, but go ahead and email Dave with an order for a SWGG Spy XPG2!

Hope the weather didn't hit you too bad.

And Happy Birthday Data!!

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
You guys. Serious question here. I am absolutely new to the world of flashlights, especially customs. Are these flashlights really investments? It seems that technology changes so fast that these artisinal flashlights can be soon outdated. For instance, I have been eyeing the Olight S10 just to get my first flashlight. Since it is new, is the S10 technologically superior to the Spy 007?
Do not buy a light as an investment, unless you mean as an investment for your enjoyment. It would be a big mistake to consider the 007 an art piece more than a functional tool made in limited numbers due to the complexity of the design.

Once you get your hands on one you'll immediately understand that there are few designs out there that offer the ease of use and predictability of output that the 007 does. Quite a few owners of these lights take pride in owning something that others either don't know about or can't afford, but the only reason I would consider ever getting one again would be the UI and ageless functionality of it.