SPY 007 Mini Picatinny Rail Accessories

Edwood

Enlightened
This one has probably already been thought of, but the retention screw or pins for the accessories should be plastic so it doesn't scratch and gouge up the titanium.

Or even have nearly all parts of the mounting blocks be plastic so no part of it can scratch up the SPY 007.

Won't be nearly as sexy, but would be alot safer on the finish to use, and cheaper to boot.

-Ed

tino_ale

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a good point Edwood, that the rail accessories/mounting block do not scratch or dent the SPY body. But I'm sure it's take care of.

I'd also would like to second Thujone on these accessories price. It was one of the reason why I was so interrested in the SPY and I hope they will be as affordable as possible. I would really not care if they are delrin or some other kind of plastic, as long as they are functionnal I'm not interrested in the bling. The SPY itself has clearly the bling covered :laughing:

Definetely interrested in a tripod mount rail.

Or, what about a very compact rail that has some tritium slots milled into it.

I wish I had a mill to make my own ideas become reality :sick:

chipwillis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was watching the latest James Bond movie:popcorn: and I thought it would be sweet to have a retractable cable that attached on the picatinny rail. The cable would have a Mcgizmo titanium clip at the end. Like the small cable some companies may for your key chains. Attach it to a pole and swing to a safe place and unattached to run away:hahaha:. I would like to see a titanium pocket clip that carries the light switch down. This pocket clip could have a hole at the end that would acommadate para cord.

tino_ale

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any news on the belt clip accessory? I'm really waiting for it. I love my spy so much, yet I don't like the feel of it jumping around at the bottom of my pocket :candle:

Rudi

Enlightened
Did someone suggest hat/visor clip?
Who's gonna want 5.3 oz. pulling their visor down over their eyes?

X_Marine

Enlightened
I don't believe anyone has mentioned a clean attachment with magnetic properties like steel for circumstances where a magnetic attachment would be helpful.

We could furnish our own magnets depending on the application. I know I still have some little guys from slot racing days that are no more than 3/8" diam by aprox 3/32'' thick that will pinch the chit out of ya if your not careful. :mad:

I suppose it would need to be chrome or some type of plating since it would be subject to rust otherwise.

Thanks for listening Dave. :thumbsup:
X/BillyD..

Edwood

Enlightened
I don't believe anyone has mentioned a clean attachment with magnetic properties like steel for circumstances where a magnetic attachment would be helpful.

We could furnish our own magnets depending on the application. I know I still have some little guys from slot racing days that are no more than 3/8" diam by aprox 3/32'' thick that will pinch the chit out of ya if your not careful. :mad:

I suppose it would need to be chrome or some type of plating since it would be subject to rust otherwise.

Thanks for listening Dave. :thumbsup:
X/BillyD..

They'd have to be some really strong magnets, given how heavy the 007 is.

But that sounds like a great idea. :)

Headlight in the car goes out? Slap the SPY 007 to the hood!

-Ed

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do appreciate everybody's suggestions on this mount. Designing a flashlight rail mount is choppy uncharted water for me. As each possible use for the mount is presented, like adding a magnetic feature, I consider if it is good to fold the concept into the mount itself or just declare it as a feature for whatever the mount is attached to. The case of a magnetic base falls in the latter. Nice magnetic bases already exist for machinist uses and I can easily see the light attached to one of those. Alternativly, it would be easy for anybody to glue a magnet to the GP mount or build up something specific to their requirements.

GPrailmount.jpg

I have been working on the CAD model for the GP rail attachment. I took my computer with me on my vacation a few weeks back and got several opportunities to play with it. As you can see it now has two parts that are pulled together by a screw (not shown). It is now far enough along to start the first prototype. However, I am still debating on what metal to use for it. Of course the three likely options are aluminum (6061), 304SS and titanium.

One design concern I have is what will happen to the light if it is forcibly ripped from the mount. This is a likely event in several of the probable uses for the mount. If the light is on the handlebars of a bike during a crash, it could be smacked hard. On a helmet mount, the light could be hit on cave walls or ceilings. Another circumstance sees the light in a desk or wall stand and somebody not familiar with it just tries to forcibly pull it out without loosening the clamp screw. :shakehead

The goal of course is to not have the light suffer any damage. The issue is not about loosing the light as it must always be tethered in addition to the mount in cases where loss is a probability. Aluminum would make a good mount material as it could not damage the rail on the light (if it was not anodized). However SS and Ti could and probably would rip the corners off the rail on the 007 body. For this reason I plan to start with aluminum and see how it goes.

Cheers
Dave

Last edited:

Hodsta

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the update Dave,

Many makers would make an attachment and "caveat" the future uses and the accountability of the maker accordingly.

You, however have obviously pondered at length with exactly the same perspective as a future owner. Even though 30(ish) Spys have passed through your hands and many more are to follow you clearly consider the quality of the future life of each and every light with the same concern as the person who purchases it. Magic!

All I can say is :bow:.

If all goes well I'll be in Kazakhstan when you open up the next sale so wish you good luck in advance.

Hods

tino_ale

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks a lot for the update. I've been looking forward to the rail mount really!

My vote would go to the more affordable aluminium version. The cherry on the cake would be some kind of quick release system : I guess this would be possible by using a screw with a knob that the user could easily tighten just by hand.

Can't wait to see the proto!

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks a lot for the update. I've been looking forward to the rail mount really!

My vote would go to the more affordable aluminium version. The cherry on the cake would be some kind of quick release system : I guess this would be possible by using a screw with a knob that the user could easily tighten just by hand.

Can't wait to see the proto!

+1. I'm looking forward to mounting a TLR-1 to a bike.

dizzy

Flashlight Enthusiast
If all goes well I'll be in Kazakhstan when you open up the next sale so wish you good luck in advance.

Hods

Ahh, going over to visit Borat ehh? Very Nice!!!;)

Nice work on the mount Dave. Kind of looks familiar to me.... Where have I seen one of those before???:lolsign:

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yo, Milky and Dizzy, meatball party!

:party:

. . . on second thought, I'm not sure I like the sound of that! :green:

Beer party! :nana:

Dizzy, thanks for the rail mount help! :thumbsup: