Spy Questions

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
Few questions here..

1. What reflector is used with the LUX III 005?

2. I watched the you tube video on assembly of the 005. Doing an emitter sway seems pretty straight forward. Is it?

3. The warrantee only applys to the original purchaser correct?

4. I have not recieved the light yet, but how much is the upgrade if I have the DB converter and how do I go about having it done? Is the entire board replaced with the STFu or is it a software(?) upgrade?

Any help would be great....I have a feeling the LUX III just isn't gonna cut it anymore.

Thanks

1 McR-18 for LUX III McR-18s for Seoul P4
2 The emitter height has to be changed up 0.030" and the reflector swapped out or modified to fit.
3 Correct.
4 Talk to Wayne about price. The DB board is not uP controlled. In the upgrade the DB board is swapped for the STFu MK-I and the switch is moved over. The old DB board is not returned.

The upgrade is pretty nice. :tinfoil:

Cheers
Dave

jojobos

Enlightened
I am very interested in getting either 005 or 007 and have a few questions.

1. How much does the 005 weight?
2. Upgraded(from DB) STFu can't have lockout/voltage meter correct?
3. Will the new batch of 007 have the "version 2.2" STFu?

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am very interested in getting either 005 or 007 and have a few questions.

1. How much does the 005 weight?
2. Upgraded(from DB) STFu can't have lockout/voltage meter correct?
3. Will the new batch of 007 have the "version 2.2" STFu?

2. True, the 005 is frozen with an older version of the software.

3. The current version of the 007 STFu MK-I code is 2.1. There are no changes planned for this. When I eventually offer the STFu MK-II in other 007 variants, there will be all new software associated with it as is with the Tri-V.

The code in the Tri-V is very different. It allows each power level to have any settings you may desire. I have been programming it for some time now and testing it in my prototypes. The big part that is still under development is the user interface for setting the levels.

I plan to allow for three full sets of configurations that the user can switch between. But having that with a lock at the same time is challenge. The normal lock sequence is a cycle between off and level-1. That does not leave many options for a configuration sequence. One I am considering is a cycle between off and level-2.

Cheers
Dave

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dave has strict parameters within which to design this software, namely, my ability to operate it without post traumatic therapy!:ohgeez: I don't want to have to take any more courses at my age and have let Dave know this.:rolleyes:

Karl

jojobos

Enlightened
Thank you guys! I think I like the 007 for the ability to have the lock out feature. But wait, May be I should start looking for a 005 now.. Anyways it is very exciting to see the 005 which was introduced 3-4 years ago still competes very well today.

Last edited:

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry for re-hashing an older thread, but I have a question about the 007 lens and didn't feel it warranted a new thread.

I removed the lens, reflector and bezel and when re-installing I wasn't sure the orientation of the lens in the head. The lens appears to have a convex side and a concave side.

From where the dust mark on the inside appeared to be, which I opened the lens to clean out, I was recalling the convex side pointing inward towards the LED. Can anyone confirm this?

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
They may not fit. I do not know. However you might use a diamond file (fine or extra fine grit) to shorten the glass a little.
Thanks Dave.
I was about to order some. B@rt thinks they will fit, but the shipping is the nasty part. Don't want to end up with 6 vials that don't fit.
Norland is already ordered.
If anyone has used his, I'd love to know. If NO, then where could I find some skinnier vials?

Rudi

Enlightened
They worked for me.
Slightly shortening with a fine or extra-fine diamond file has worked for me too, in another application.

Last edited:

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
They worked for me as well.

In lenghth, it seems they could even be longer, I think mine are not exactly at the same height. In width I didn't have a problem either, the trits just fell into the slots...

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
They worked for me as well.

In lenghth, it seems they could even be longer, I think mine are not exactly at the same height. In width I didn't have a problem either, the trits just fell into the slots...
Awesome.
I've ordered some and some Norland too.
On the SPY's, if they sit up a bit I don't think it will matter as they are quite protected where they will reside.
Now just awaiting the posties to deliver the pieces.

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
==================================================
========================
This post is from the HTML recovered from Google Cashed Data. It represents the information from the original posts made by various CPF members to this thread. Rebuilding this thread was necessary because the original posts were lost in the "Great CPF Server Crash of 2011".
========================
==================================================

Re: Spy
Questions

Written by 10.10.2010 on 12-22-2010 07:04 AM GMT

Hi Everybody, i have interest to get SPY 007 which looks cool and simple for me. But i can't find any review of it.

So i'm asking this questions to SPY 007 owners here:

• How is the SPY 007 UI ?
  • What kind battery does SPY 007 use ?
  • What is the SPY 007 voltage range?
  • Being driven @ 1.4A how much lumen does 007 could produce?

Thanks

Questions

Written by ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond on 12-22-2010 01:34 PM GMT

10.10.2010 said:
Hi Everybody, i have interest to get SPY 007 which looks cool and simple for me. But i can't find any review of it.

So i'm asking this questions to SPY 007 owners here:

• How is the SPY 007 UI ?
  • What kind battery does SPY 007 use ?
  • What is the SPY 007 voltage range?
  • Being driven @ 1.4A how much lumen does 007 could produce?

Thanks
- There is a turn knob with OFF and 6 brightness positions. Couldn't be simpler. Programming a bit trickier, but very easy once you've done it a few times.
- 2 x cr123 primaries or 2 x RCR123/IMR16340 cells.
- Ummm, do you mean what is the input range of voltages? If it uses 2 cells it would probably be about 4.8V-8.4V.
- Hopefully someone will measure this with a IS and be able to give real OTF numbers. But mathematically, using the 0.65 approx multiplying factor for light losses, and taking the multiplication factor from the Cree XPG at 1400mAh being 320% you can calculate from the base 350mAh fluxes at 100%.

For R4 flux bin LED: (neutral white)
130 Lumens x 320% x 0.65 = 270.4 Lumens

For R5 flux bin LED: (cool white & unless Data managed to source S2 or S3 bin LEDs)
139 Lumens x 320% x 0.65 = 289 Lumens

Questions

Written by Obijuan Kenobe on 12-22-2010 04:33 PM GMT

Good patient answer, SOYCD. That's what I like about CPF: Your tolerance of noobs is unparalleled (present company included).

obi

Questions

Written by 10.10.2010 on 12-22-2010 04:51 PM GMT

Thanks Shine. Your reply answers covered everything i want to know about SPY 007.

Yes what i meant is input range of voltage, i was wondering if it could take Lion RCR123 actually.

And it's seems TRI-Vi is much more fun to play compared SPY 007 ??

Questions

Written by chipwillis on 12-22-2010 05:17 PM GMT

Just buy both :)

Questions

Written by jslappa on 12-22-2010 05:39 PM GMT

10.10.2010 said:
Thanks Shine. Your reply answers covered everything i want to know about SPY 007.

Yes what i meant is input range of voltage, i was wondering if it could take Lion RCR123 actually.

And it's seems TRI-Vi is much more fun to play compared SPY 007 ??
I have both and the Tri-V is a completely different animal. The Spy 007 just has the one reflector coupled with the XP-G, but it's a much larger reflector than the Tri-V's reflector, so it will throw further, have a larger hotspot and provide more spill light. Of course, the Tri-V has an MCE flood light that can be slammed with 2amps to flood a very large room with warm light. It's also got that XRE behind an aspheric lens that will pierce the night air much further than the 007.

So they really are 2 different lights, but the Tri-V can replace most every other light I own. You need both!

Questions

Written by 10.10.2010 on 12-23-2010 10:39 PM GMT

Jslappa,

That's is exactly what i'm thinking. Tri Vi have XR-E married with Asheperic lens that's why on Tri Vi we don't need large reflector like on 007 ??

But i still curious with 007, beside's it's EXOTIC Looks and programmable current draw for each knob position does have another feature that i should look at ?

EDIT: Which one throw further between Haiku XP-G and 007 ?

Questions

Written by 10.10.2010 on 12-23-2010 10:42 PM GMT

chipwillis said:
Just buy both :)
If i could afford buying both, with no hesitate i'll get both. :naughty:

Thing's is I don't have that capability at this moment. :shakehead

Questions

Written by erni0066 on 01-12-2011 09:53 PM GMT

Hello All

To me are interesting Spy Tri-V and Spy 007.
I have found excellent review Spy Tri-V with photos outdoor tests.
But I cannot find similar review for Spy 007.
Maybe somebody can give link on such review? :naughty:

Thanks

Questions

Written by Data on 01-13-2011 11:54 PM GMT

erni0066 said:
Hello All

To me are interesting Spy Tri-V and Spy 007.
I have found excellent review Spy Tri-V with photos outdoor tests.
But I cannot find similar review for Spy 007.
Maybe somebody can give link on such review? :naughty:

Thanks
Quite a number of reviews were posted in the review forum. I will look and see if I can find a couple.

If you have a specific Q, fire away.

Cheers
Dave

Questions

Written by erni0066 on 01-14-2011 05:41 AM GMT

Data said:
Quite a number of reviews were posted in the review forum. I will look and see if I can find a couple.

If you have a specific Q, fire away.

Cheers
Dave
Thanks Dave
I searched in the review forum but have not found. :mad:

My questions:
What is in Spy 007 and that is not present in Spy Tri-V?
Comparison Spy 007 with Haiku XP-G is interesting to me.
In both flashlights it is used emitter XP-G and interestingly comparative photos of their light.

Thanks,
Erni

Questions

Written by Data on 01-14-2011 09:38 AM GMT

erni0066 said:
Thanks Dave
I searched in the review forum but have not found. :mad:

My questions:
What is in Spy 007 and that is not present in Spy Tri-V?
Comparison Spy 007 with Haiku XP-G is interesting to me.
In both flashlights it is used emitter XP-G and interestingly comparative photos of their light.

Thanks,
Erni
The biggest difference right now is the 007 uses the STFu MK-I and the Tri-V uses the STFu MK-II. The Tri-V needs the higher power and multi channel control of the MK-II.

The Haiku is a fantastic light, I recomend them.

As for the beam pattern, the reflector on the Tri-V produces a wider hot spot than the 007. Larger reflectors usually produce a tighter hot spot.

Cheers
Dave

Questions

Written by easilyled on 01-14-2011 10:10 AM GMT

Data said:
The biggest difference right now is the 007 uses the STFu MK-I and the Tri-V uses the STFu MK-II. The Tri-V needs the higher power and multi channel control of the MK-II.
Cheers
Dave
I take it you're referring to the original SPY007 (ie. with SSC-P4 or XR-E) when you say that they use the STFu MK-I?

I have a feeling though that the SPY007s with CREE-XPGs use a different UI though as the programming to change the levels is very similar to that required for the Tri-V.

Questions

Written by Data on 01-14-2011 11:33 AM GMT

easilyled said:
I take it you're referring to the original SPY007 (ie. with SSC-P4 or XR-E) when you say that they use the STFu MK-I?

I have a feeling though that the SPY007s with CREE-XPGs use a different UI though as the programming to change the levels is very similar to that required for the Tri-V.
The 007 XP-G uses the new UI code that was ported over from the Tri-V's STFu MK-II. It also uses the STFu MK-I converter board that all the 007's use.

Cheers
Dave

Questions

Written by erni0066 on 01-14-2011 09:58 PM GMT

Data said:

The Haiku is a fantastic light, I recomend them.

As for the beam pattern, the reflector on the Tri-V produces a wider hot spot than the 007. Larger reflectors usually produce a tighter hot spot.

Cheers
Dave
Dave thanks for a clarification.

I correctly understand that now Spy 007 has 1400mAh and on an output for neutral white 270 Lumens
and for bright white 290 Lumens? Haiku XP-G bright white has on an output 190 Lumens?
You make Stone Washed Finish for regular Spy 007 (not Gunner Grip)?
What now a waiting time of order Spy 007?

Thanks,
Erni

Unknown
Written by stoli67 on 01-15-2011 12:00 AM GMT

Can you run a 007 for long on full power or does it get too hot to hold?

I recently bought an XML drop in but after 5 minutes on high it is too hot to hold in a 18350 host.

Questions

Written by Data on 01-15-2011 10:34 PM GMT

stoli67 said:
Can you run a 007 for long on full power or does it get too hot to hold?

I recently bought an XML drop in but after 5 minutes on high it is too hot to hold in a 18350 host.
I always remind that the SPY is a tiny light to be pushing this kind of power.

But the answer is, that depends on what you call too hot. Consider 1000mA (factory default high setting for all current 007's) running continuously in a these different environments:

1) light held in your hand; for some that may not ever get too hot to hold because your body acts as a liquid cooling system for the light.

2) on your auto dash in the hot mid day Arizona sun; that will get to hot to pick up and is not advised.

3) laying on a rock outside in an Alaska winter; that will not ever get to hot.

4) in your pocket; that will get uncomfortably hot but not so hot to actually burn your skin, as long as you treat it as the hot potato that it is.

If on the other hand you are asking will the light burn up? Well, all I can say to that is, it has not happened yet. My software is supposed to protect the light from this threat.

The 007 and Tri-V do protect themselves from over heating but that logic is not engaged until the light is extremely hot. I can not say for any given situation what that temperature is as it varies greatly depending on environmental factors. Of course the higher you set the power level the faster the light will heat up. The latest code limits the continuous unattended power to the 007 and the Tri-V. See the Tri-V manual for more details. The Tri-V can run up to 3000mA and that if left unchecked will get hot very fast.

Finally, please keep in mind though the STFu may be protecting itself as best it can the emitter is not protected. If you allow the light to get smoking hot they say (don't ask me who the they are ;)) that will shorten the life span of the of the emitter.

I have always advised my customers to not turn the SPY on high and set it down unattended for long periods of time.

Cheers
Dave

Questions

Written by Launch Mini on 01-20-2011 09:23 AM GMT

SPY005 questins. I know i read the answers somewhere, but I couldn't find them last night.
1 - What changes were made to the "board" from the original ( I think the first 100), to the "updated"?
2 - IIRC, the output of the stock base SPY005 was around 80 lumens?
3 - WIll the original board support an XPG transplant?
Thanks
ps, I do know the original board only supports primaries, That is not a concern.
and I think I remember that the original boards may be loose, & not secured?

Questions

Written by Data on 01-20-2011 09:44 AM GMT

Launch Mini said:
SPY005 questions. I know i read the answers somewhere, but I couldn't find them last night.
1 - What changes were made to the "board" from the original ( I think the first 100), to the "updated"?
2 - IIRC, the output of the stock base SPY005 was around 80 lumens?
3 - WIll the original board support an XPG transplant?
Thanks
ps, I do know the original board only supports primaries, That is not a concern.
and I think I remember that the original boards may be loose, & not secured?
The first 100 SPY flashlights had the downboy based board in them. It might run an XP-G but I do not recommend taking those old lights apart or adjusting the trim pots.. Dat2zip offers an upgrade to the STFu MK-I with a Seoul P4 emitter. You could go that route and then upgrade it to an XP-G.

The emitter was a Lux3 running at 1000 or 500ma max. Depended on the model.

Cheers
Dave

Questions

Written by Launch Mini on 01-20-2011 09:59 AM GMT

Dave,
Thanks
How would I know which model it may be?
I'll email you too.

Questions

Written by Data on 01-20-2011 10:20 AM GMT

Launch Mini said:
Dave,
Thanks
How would I know which model it may be?
I'll email you too.
If it is the downboy it will not have any power-up modes. If you put it on P3 and pull off the battery cap and put it right back on there would not be any calibration seen. It would simply come right back on on power level three.

Unknown
Written by blackfly on 02-02-2011 11:33 PM GMT

I have a question about the lockout mode. The instruction manual says that, when the lockout mode is activated, I should get 20 seconds of light. On my light I count 12 seconds before it shuts off. Also, as I scroll through the levels 1 thru 6 I don't get the full level of brightness that should correspond with that particular level when used without the lockout feature. Is this normal with the new batch of Spy 007's?

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unknown
Written by blackfly on 02-02-2011 11:33 PM GMT

I have a question about the lockout mode. The instruction manual says that, when the lockout mode is activated, I should get 20 seconds of light. On my light I count 12 seconds before it shuts off. Also, as I scroll through the levels 1 thru 6 I don't get the full level of brightness that should correspond with that particular level when used without the lockout feature. Is this normal with the new batch of Spy 007's?

Yes this is normal behavior. The lower power levels are to remind you that it is currently in lockout mode. The manual should say ~15 seconds.