Not open for further replies.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Re: SPY005 Field Test Thread part 1

Kiessling said:
An EXCELLENT thought, Tom !!!
...Now ... where's the list? :D
bernie

It is refreshing to see something so original, practical and aesthetically pleasing. Please count me in.

Brightnorm

Last edited:

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast

All these great lights coming out around the same time......I need to get a 2nd on my house.....:crackup:

Just kidding..sort of , This light was very impressive at GM.

Nice work Data and any who may have helped. :rock:

How is glow eyes doin ? :p

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Ever since the SureFire X200 came out, I have been facinated at the small and utilitarian package that is available with 2 CR123's side by side in a well designed and tight package. Dave has/ had the ability and fortitude to step up and bring this to us. Regardless of its final form and chosen path through necessary compromises in design objectives, this light will be a bright and novel beacon providing illumination of new territory.

I suppose that I should disclose my position in this project. Aside from selling Dave some reflectors, I have no financial gain here, I am not being paid or compensated to hype or aid in marketing this light. If possible, I plan to purchase more than one of these wonders and expect to pay more than I really should yet less than I would be willing to. :p

If anything, the SPY005 is antagonistic to any of my vested interests and will pull funds away from sales or purchases of some of my lights. If I allowed my pocket book to dictate my comments, I would lie and state that the SPY005 is an overpriced POS and then I could sell more of my stuff and buy more SPY005's at a distressed price! :nana:

Did I mention that this light has a great beam? :crackup:

I am also contemplating a mod that would be quite a challenge to pull off and probably not happen so I'll keep the details to myself. :grin2:

offroadcmpr

Enlightened

McGizmo said:
If anything, the SPY005 is antagonistic to any of my vested interests and will pull funds away from sales or purchases of some of my lights. If I allowed my pocket book to dictate my comments, I would lie and state that the SPY005 is an overpriced POS and then I could sell more of my stuff and buy more SPY005's at a distressed price! :nana:

Thats what is so great about CPF. Lots of the people saying how good this light is, have their own custom light that could posibly take sales away from their own!

Good job, I would love to get it, but it is out of my price range(I'm a poor college student:mecry:)

idleprocess

Flashaholic

I really liked the Spy005 when I had the chance to play with it at Ghost Mountain. The side-by-side 123A configuration is easily pocketable with the low-profile head.

There was more than enough polish on the protype body to go to production, although I agree with most of the improvements echoed by others - namely the minimal apparent change in output between levels 5 & 6, and flutes running the length of the switch.

Excellent job, Data. I wish I had the cash to buy one.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,

Hey Idle, after buying the gas for that trip, I understand! :D

Larry

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast

McGizmo said:
I am also contemplating a mod that would be quite a challenge to pull off and probably not happen so I'll keep the details to myself. :grin2:

Oh please spill the beans! :thinking: :grin2:

McGizmo

Flashaholic

OK sucker! :nana:

I would like a right angle head that will rotate from contact with the switch on one side around until contacting the switch on the other side. We briefly discussed this at GM but the more I play with this light the more obvious this light becomes as host to a RA head.

BTW, in the dead area on the tail cap inside of the D-ring, I think there may be room for a blind tapped 1/4x20 thread? :p

Oh yeah, one final comment while I am spilling the beans. A point of clarification. Do you really think I will be sending this proto back to you? :crackup: :grin2:

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast

Tom, thanks for your complements on the light and yours and everybody's suggestions. I contemplate them all.

I have been working on the design of this light for 10 months. It has consumed most of my waking thought for that time. The light will not have two off positions! It actually defeats the very goal it attempts to attain. Yes, I agree with you it works OK if you are playing with it real time and can remember what state it is in. But, you pick up the light a day later and you won't remember what end of the rotation you left it in. To make matters worse when you guess wrong you get even more confused because you also have to remember what direction of rotation is towards higher verses lower. Guess wrong and you get a high blast when you wanted a night light. This is a logical nightmare.

As the design is now you pick up the light and turn it on. Your first click will always be low power. :)

It took me a few days to stumble on how to do it but it is really easy to turn the light from off to full high with just a single flick of the finger. When you learn the technique, it visually looks like the light turns on high instantly. Conversely you can turn the light all the way off with a single flick of the thumb. It is very fun to play with and even addicting. Give it some time Wilkey, you will figure it out too. The best tip I can give is to try holding the light in different ways.

When I get some time I will post a video of the technique.

Cheers
Dave

Last edited:

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast

Data said:
...It took me a few days to stumble on how to do it but it is really easy to turn the light from off to full high with just a single flick of the finger. When you learn the technique, it visually looks like the light turns on high instantly. Conversely you can turn the light all the way off with a single flick of the thumb. It is very fun to play with and even addicting.
Cheers
Dave

Dave,

This is in fact what I've been doing. But with cold weather setting in and my hands getting drier (it's a seasonal thing with me) the only way I can do this is with the grippy rubber tape on the knob.

Now when I carry the light around, I find myself absentmindedly just flicking the switch from off to high and back again. In a way, it reminds me of that Zippo lighter action, just less painful.

Now, this brings me to an observation. I can't believe I did not note this specific aspect of the switch knob when I first received it. Either you or Don, do you notice any play in the knob? Has this always been there in the unit? I am getting a very noticeable play of several degrees. It's just enough to know that it's there but not enough to detract from activation or selection.

On a separate note, this light is reasonably stable standing on end, a feature that significantly increases its versatility. Since it is pretty stable when oriented in the horizontal and vertical planes, I can't see the necessity of adding a right angle head but hey, that's what tinkering is all about. :D

As I use this more and more, I find that I care less and less about the metric aspects of the light. By this I mean the measurements and specifications. Of course I recognize that this is something you have to sweat. In just a day or two, it has become a constant presence in my pocket or hand. It snuggles comfortably in the palm and just as quickly finds itself in and then back out of a pocket. The right light at the right time is just a flick and milliseconds away. By comparison, my beloved L4 now seems brutish and unrefined. In a word, I hate you Dave! :p j/k BTW.

Further ruminating on the carry options. This light would be a perfect candidate for a low-profile bezel down clip. Preferably titanium (just because!;)). This would significantly aid in pocket carry and deployment.

The chrome head on HA-Nat is a very nice look. I think the contrast between a bright chrome head and black HA body might be too pronounced. However, electroless nickel on HA-black would look just killer, and dressier too. Just stray thoughts.

Wilkey

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast

My plater does do HA Black and it costs no more than natural. I am thinking of trying it to see how it looks.

Was your light nickel? I am going to check on that too. Don has nickel under the chrome on his PD. I have one of his Chrome PDs and it is the most beautiful light I own.

Dave

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast

Data said:
My plater does do HA Black and it costs no more than natural. I am thinking of trying it to see how it looks.

Was your light nickel? I am going to check on that too. Don has nickel under the chrome on his PD. I have one of his Chrome PDs and it is the most beautiful light I own.

Dave

I have made a few lights in electroless nickel. Bright E-nickel looks warmer due to its straw or light golden tone. To my aesthetic sense, this is desirable over the cold, colorless cast of bright chrome. Please, no flames on this. This is what looks good to me. Many, many folks love the crisp neutrality of bright chrome and that's fine. I'm going to be a curmudgeon here and say that IMO, a beautiful light is more than just a consequence of its finish. A chromed Mag2AA is still going to be just that. Of course, never having seen a PD, my comments are not directed to that light but rather made in the general.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program. :D

Wilkey

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast

The other CPF review lights should be ready to go out Monday. They will go to DaGunn, Andrewwynn and tvodrd.

Cheers
Dave

McGizmo

Flashaholic

The knob on my proto has some loose play prior to encountering the resistance required to move to the adjacent level.

I think this light would look good regardless of finish but agree that it is worthy of consideration. The EN by itself is a nice and warmer color like Wilkey said. Supposedly the chrome flash over the nickel will provide a more abrasion resistant finish and will not tarnish as nickel can.

A RA head would be a useful orientation as the light would have some elevation above the surface it was set on but I was mostly considering it in conjunction with a bezel up clip. This would allow pocket, shoulder strap or belt attachment with the light beam perpindicular to your body and adjustable on angle. No big deal but some additional utility possibly.

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast

McGizmo said:
BTW, in the dead area on the tail cap inside of the D-ring, I think there may be room for a blind tapped 1/4x20 thread? :p

No, there is not enough room the spring is under there.

Dave

Kiessling

Flashaholic

If the EN won't hold up as good as the hard chrome (wasn't the original McLux EN?) I'd be all for the chrome in a light of this class. Black HA would be nice, but in the end ... I'll like to have one regardless of finish ... :D

Is there a reason that stops the grooves of the knob being extended further down all the way?

bernie

Status
Not open for further replies.