SPY005 machining status & style updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pi_is_blue

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: SPY005 machining status

I am extremely interested in this light, how much does it go for? Are there more available, or is the list full?

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

ah, that explains why the knob is being made elsewhere :)

i've made hundreds of different parts, mostly for larger industrial companies. most of the parts are called something like "sleeve, anglebody, connection, spindle, adapter, diaphram, bonnet, etc etc etc" basically just a bunch of parts for larger machines or mechanisms.

all programming is done on the lathes themselves, but we store programs onto a laptop, which uploads the programs onto a different machine if we run the part there next time.

so where are those videos now? :p

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast

I am excited about this light too and am very happy with how it is coming together. I thank all of you for your invaluable input on the design. :thanks: Please hang in there guys it is getting close to completion.

I am not accepting payments nor is there a sign-up yet. I want everybody to see the reviews first. The estimated price for the light is still $345. My machining estimates are so far turning out to be accurate but there is much more than just machining that goes into a light.

I am still working on the schedule with Wayne, my partner machine shop and a hole string of suppliers. I will have it firmed up very soon and will post the rough outline of it then. Needless to say I have to get the first prototypes completed very soon so I can start the run of pre-production prototypes. A few of the pre-production prototypes will be sent to the beta testers/reviewers. Once the reviewers have had a chance to report on the light then I will post the sign-up thread here on CPF.

I will let everybody know in advance before I post the sign-up thread. At the sign-up time I will accept a down payment.

Back to the machining . . . Hi-Ho, Hi-Ho, its off . . .

Cheers
Dave

Kiessling

Flashaholic

Very cool way of organizing everything! :thumbsup:
Will the numbers be limited?
And will it be available in red ano? :D :D
bernie

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hey Dave,

Very nice work so far - it's amazing to see such a complex design make its way into fruition, and in metal to boot! I'd offer you good luck, but it's certainly evident you don't need any of that so far.

I'm certainly looking forward to seeing how this project turns out. Please keep the pictures coming - I like most CPF members here have a continual lust for progress shots. :D

Kiessling said:
And will it be available in red ano? :D :D

Bernie: :nana: You really like that color, don't you? ;)

-Enrique

Kiessling

Flashaholic

Endeavour said:
Hey Dave,

Very nice work so far - it's amazing to see such a complex design make its way into fruition, and in metal to boot! I'd offer you good luck, but it's certainly evident you don't need any of that so far.

I'm certainly looking forward to seeing how this project turns out. Please keep the pictures coming - I like most CPF members here have a continual lust for progress shots. :D

Bernie: :nana: You really like that color, don't you? ;)

-Enrique

Argh ... if I had known you would read that thread I'd have kept my mouth shut :crazy::p:crackup:
bernie

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast

This is a short video of the machining of the body. It shows the body on the rotary table. The sides of the body are getting the concave finger holds and the striation's. The file is 7MB and if you would, right click and select save to my desktop, so that it is only downloaded once.

SPY005.wmv

Cheers
Dave

Last edited:

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast

word of warning.. better set aside the cash for the spy005 before viewing that video!

-awr

jtice

Flashaholic

Seeing that awsome machine in action gets me more excited than the light does :green:

McGizmo

Flashaholic

speechless with green envy! -----> :green:

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast

you know.. i just realized how similar this 'form factor' is to my very first handheld luxeon light i built: http://rouse.com/flash put a wrapper around it and a round vs a clickie switch.. move the reflector over.. check out the bigger of the purple lights.

-awr

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast

The first few bezels are complete.

HV1T7388.jpg

This one holds a McR-20 reflector and has a lens out of a PD in it. Don suggested I try the McR-18 reflector and I think it is an excellent idea. The OD of the bezel with a McR-20 is 1", with the McR-18 it is about 0.9". We will test both of them.

jtice

I have been running that machine for years and sometimes I forget what it was like before I owned it. :thinking:

Cheers
Dave

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Cool Dave!

The larger diameter and longer head might be more ergonomic in hand. :thinking: :shrug: :) At any rate, looking good! :grin2:

Status
Not open for further replies.