SPY005 machining status & style updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Re: SPY005 machining status

Great :thumbsup:
Really cool that this exceptional light will be a reality!
bernie

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast

The battery cap is complete. Before it was finished, I was apprehensive about getting this design right on the first iteration. It must be luck but this first cap works flawlessly, I am so excited about it.

HV1T7389.jpg

HV1T7391.jpg

HV1T7392.jpg

HV1T7394.jpg

Stay tuned for pictures of the third generation head and the knob.

Cheers
Dave

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast

Beautiful work! Thanks for the pics!

Paul

Last edited:

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast

i can only imagine how 'grippy' that grip is.. sweet design. I had considered almost the same concept but i have very basic modeling tools available to me so only the heatsink of my light has grooves.. with the dimple and the grooves..

you'll pry my spy005 out of my cold dead hands... and even then it'll be tough.

friggin more beautiful every time.. i can't imagine how cool it'll be to see the first MM parts coming off assembly. I know i got pretty freaking excited when i held the first BAM! heatsink in my hand.. it looks like a spacely sprocket.

one nice thing about this design here compared to the MM.. the slight oval shape will make for a better water tight seal.. until i do testing i won't know if the MM seals will be more than rain-tight (which is what they are designed for anyhow).

I love the creativity in this design, numerous very cool innovations like the kitchy catch to hold the battery door on, the position of the dial is brilliant for 1-hand operation.. kudos all the way around... oh yeah.. replaceable bezel.. McR20 for me please (or 18 of that keeps the head smaller than the body).

-awr

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast

A McR-18 size head is the same size as the body. The prototype head I have now for the McR-18 came from the mind of McGizmo. I love it and am working up a version that matches the SPY lines.

My wife Bonnie came up with a great idea to tweak the striations. I am modeling it now and will post CAD pics soon to get reactions. It to is in an effort to match the SPY lines a little better but not change the basic intent.

Cheers
Dave

Last edited:

Frenchyled

Flashaholic*

Very nice prototype :)
Awesome video and machine :thanks:

Now....I have to save each of my bucks to acquire one of this very special flashlight.. it would be great in my collection :takeit:

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm floored! This is most beautiful light I have ever seen. You and your machines are truly amazing. GREAT WORK! :popcorn: :goodjob:

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have made several refinements in anticipation of the pre-production run of lights. The design is settling down as I can now see what works and what doesn't. It feels really good in my hand but as many have predicted the smooth knob was too slippery. There are now some cuts around the front edge of the knob (two of the new renderings below show the cuts).

A nagging feeling in the back of my mind combined with a pool of many comments also suggested the SPY needed a style upgrade. Below are CAD pics of the result of the work of several people. We took off the striations and added a stylized groove that matches the outline of the light. The new head design is slim and holds the McR-18 reflector. It may not look it at first glance but the head is the same thickness as the body. So it lies very flat in a pocket.

SPY005-pic7.jpg

SPY005-pic8.jpg

SPY005-pic9.jpg

SPY005-pic10.jpg

SPY005-pic11.jpg

The new oval groove in each side of the light was designed primarily as a beautification statement that stands on its own. With that said the groove is also perfectly sized to receive an o-ring. When you put a 1" x1/16" o-ring in there it acts like a rubberized tactile surface to hold on to. A black o-ring looks nice in there but so did a translucent blue when I tried it in the CAD rendering.

I have learned that it is possible to turn the knob several clicks with one flick of the finger. As I practice it I can actually hit just about any desired power level with one flick, it is a little addictive to play with. The power levels of the pre-production light are going to be; 0, 4, 42, 140, 400, 900, 1200mA. So most of the time I am shooting for a quick on of 400 or 900mA (4 or 5 clicks).

Please stay tuned, the logo contest will start soon.

Cheers
Dave

KingSmono

Enlightened
Wow, the improvements in the renderings put this light in a whole different league. It's beautiful! I thought it was cool before, but now I'm simply in awe. Very nice touches. My only concern is that the grooves in the knob are still not significant enough... do you think that extending the notches the entire length of the knob will open the floodgates for accidental turn-ons? Again, nicely done Data!

-Allen

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
Allen

You are correct. I will not extent those flutes down the side for that reason. As it is now those little cuts make all the difference when your hands are sweaty or wet. However, if your hands are dry, the cuts are not really needed.

I have played with the thing for 15 minutes at a time and that was long enough for my hand to get sweaty. However, my machinist friend, Keith, had oil on his hands when he handed me the first completed prototype and it was obvious to me then that mirror smooth was going to be a problem. I know, I know I was warned. :ohgeez:

Dave

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I figure if I use my solar panel to power my computer, only use flashlights for lighting, watch TV down the street at the local electronics shop, and wash my clothes in the bath tub I might save enough in electric bills to get one of these by the release date. That would be St. Patrick's Day '06 right. :D

Seriously, I truly hope you will have enough for me to get my, inexplicably sweaty, hands around one.

-LT

Amorphous

Enlightened
Dave,

Awesome work!! Love to acquire it when available.

Also, here's a suggestion on the rotary switch being linear, ( from off to 1200 ma ) I think it is better to have dual direction functionality.

Current switch setting: OFF, 4, 42, 140, 400, 900, 1200mA
Suggested switch setting: 270, 140, 42, 4, Off, 400, 900, 1200mA

From Center OFF position, turn clock wise, one will instantly get 400mA, 900,mA, and 1200mA, and Turn the opposite direction, it will start out from the weakest to progressive bright. This way, one do not have to rotate 5 or 6 clicks each and every time before reaching 900mA and 1200mA ( The most used brightness) from the Off position. If the user wants the very dim, it is just one LEFT click away from the Center Off position.

Ray

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.