I opened my light up and tooks some pics

goodstanleylight007.jpg

goodstanleylight016.jpg

goodstanleylight018.jpg

goodstanleylight019.jpg

goodstanleylight021.jpg

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
i did it, had to dremel off few pieces of plastic, and 6aa fit right in, on original pack, just like new one charging current 0.52 amp.
so far i,m charging till red led stops blinking.
P1050787.jpg

Last edited:

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
bad news:mad:, light is dead, but before it died i got some data.
charger shuts off completely after it beeps, as i put new batteries charge time didn't change(about 1-1.5hr), so i suspect, at charging current of .5 amp, it filled aa only to 1\3 capacity, on high it ran about 1 hour, output of the power brick was 12v .5 amp, i,m not sure if i used different brick with differen current, charging current would be the same as brick's out.
i accidentally touched circuit board, and right away :poof:considarable amout of smoke, after that light wouldn't turn on. so board is fried, emitter is fine, so i cut it off, might use it someday for a build.

Last edited:

zapper

Enlightened
Heck yeah! If that big grey thing is a hunk of aluminum, you're almost there already!

Get your favorite board from anywhere (like DX) and just cut out all the other electronics. Solder wires from trigger, battery pack, converter then LED! BAM!

You could even get a pot or rhehostat and put it in place of the up/down buttons!

:hitit:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
bad news:mad:, light is dead, but before it died i got some data.
charger shuts off completely after it beeps, as i put new batteries charge time didn't change(about 1-1.5hr), so i suspect, at charging current of .5 amp, it filled aa only to 1\3 capacity, on high it ran about 1 hour, output of the power brick was 12v .5 amp, i,m not sure if i used different brick with differen current, charging current would be the same as brick's out.
i accidentally touched circuit board, and right away :poof:considarable amout of smoke, after that light wouldn't turn on. so board is fried, emitter is fine, so i cut it off, might use it someday for a build.

Its not a total loss...
Looks like you could gut the whole thing, except the trigger, LED housing and reflector optics. Drop in a pair of 18650s in parallel or an IMR26650. Get a ~1-1.4A driver board from either DX, KD or shiningbeam, and an XRE-Q5. You might have room to fabricate a better heatsink. You'll need a hobby charger though to charge the cell.

**edit**zapper beat me to it.

Is that big gray thing aluminum?

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
it is metal, light one, not sure if it is aluminium, might be something else

Certo

Newly Enlightened
Greetings:

I've not read them all, but have enjoyed many of the posts on this thread. I am not qualified to engage in the tech talk most of you know, nor have I done any comparisons. Here's my thing:

I started with the lap-dog Qbeam with the half-ton replaceable battery about 15 years ago. Living on wooded land and being a photographer, I've enjoyed many hours of night work, including macro (close-up) of insects. As the years passed and living out in the country, Wallyworld has been pretty much my smorgasbord of choice. The longer trip to Big Buck Sports seldom happens. That said, you know how Wallyworld buyers do. Any given product may be here today and forever dismissed tomorrow. Therefore, when I find something I especially like, I'm subject to buying a few extras.

The 5-watt Stanley of this thread came after 14 years of owning various brands and smaller sizes. After a week's use, back at Wallyworld, the shelf was devoid of the product. Over the next few days or so, I made trips to nearby (relatively small) cities and no Walmart carried the product. Now, a year later and the little Stanley going strong, I determined to go online to find it; thus my arrival here.

For me, this little angel has proven the prince of all I've owned, some 12-15 different spots. Whether shooting telephoto or macro, I'm outfitted with powerful flash that's reducible for macro. I hold the spotlight horizontally, like television shows picture Mexican gangsters with a handgun. Nestled between the body of the light and the back of my hand, rests the telephoto lens, pointed at the target of the spot. Focused and ready to click, I release the spot's trigger and zap the target with the flash.

There may be 30 reasons why many people would need something other than this light. But for me, it's the finest thing I've owned and had put out countless hours for more than a year... not remembering just when I purchased it. Even Sunpak's 622 Pro megalith flash head, won't reach what the little Stanley illuminates.

I realize I can cradle the camera lens in my wrist while holding a cylindrical lamp, but I seem to be more steady with the handled spot. Go figure.

Bang for the buck and small enough to pocket in my jeans, the 5-watt Stanley gets all five stars, uhm, thumbs up from me. (No stars in the emoticons collection.)

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

:thanks: for your many commentaries and especially the images.

Certo

jmnt089

Newly Enlightened
Would be really interested to see how my B/D l.e.d. spotlight compares to this one. I went with the B/D because it was not rechargeable, those lights just don't seem to be worth the energy. My B/D seems to be as good as, if not a bit better than my Vector 3m spotlight. I will get some beam shots Monday night after work.

My biggest light is the Vector 3m candle power, however, Black and Decker also has the same light. The only difference I can tell is that mine is silver with l.e.d.s and the B/D is the traditional orange and black. However, it is a bit misleading as 3m, when it is actually 2- 1.5m bulbs. And, when I run it on high power, it will only last for 30-45 minutes, which makes it almost useless.

This little B/D l.e.d. spotlight seems to match up nicely, if not beat the Vector. Plus, for a $20.00 price tag, my B/D l.e.d. spotlight seems like quite a bargain.

woof

Newly Enlightened
Newbie with a newb question here. I just got one of these and already lost the manual. Should this battery be allowed to go totally dead before charging, or can it be recharged at any time. Is there a danger of over-charging? Basically, how do I handle recharge to keep the light happy? Thanks in advance!

woof

Newly Enlightened
Newbie with a newb question here. I just got one of these and already lost the manual. Should this battery be allowed to go totally dead before charging, or can it be recharged at any time. Is there a danger of over-charging? Basically, how do I handle recharge to keep the light happy? Thanks in advance!

Am I asking this in the wrong section?

DM51

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF, woof :)

You asked in the correct place. I'm a little surprised you have not yet received a reply, but I hope someone will be along soon to help you.

I don't know the light myself, but as a rule you should not allow any battery to go dead before recharging it. Certainly in the short term, you will do less damage if you top it up whenever it gets to say 50%.

As to the manual, have you checked to see if you can download it online? Many manufacturers post their manuals online now.

woof

Newly Enlightened
Welcome to CPF, woof :)

You asked in the correct place. I'm a little surprised you have not yet received a reply, but I hope someone will be along soon to help you.

I don't know the light myself, but as a rule you should not allow any battery to go dead before recharging it. Certainly in the short term, you will do less damage if you top it up whenever it gets to say 50%.

As to the manual, have you checked to see if you can download it online? Many manufacturers post their manuals online now.

Thanks. I have looked for the manual online and have not found it. But as I recall, it was very sketchy and not much help. I have googled recharging nimh batteries and found contradictory info - one that yes, you should let them go dead or even have a charger that fully discharges them befor recharging. But then another site will say no, recharge at anytime as long as you have a charger that won't allow an overcharge.

This is why I was looking for some input from someone who has this light. Still looking!

baterija

Flashlight Enthusiast
Woof, based on what I have gathered in the batteries subforum here from the experts:

- NiMh don't like being overdischarged and can suffer damage if they are. It's best not to run them all the way to dead.
- Ever so often a relatively full discharge can be beneficial. Call that a little before the light is dead.
- You won't really cause serious issues if you simply use them and recharge after a partial discharge.

woof

Newly Enlightened
Woof, based on what I have gathered in the batteries subforum here from the experts:

- NiMh don't like being overdischarged and can suffer damage if they are. It's best not to run them all the way to dead.
- Ever so often a relatively full discharge can be beneficial. Call that a little before the light is dead.
- You won't really cause serious issues if you simply use them and recharge after a partial discharge.

Thanks much! Do you know if the charger that comes with this light shuts off before an overcharge level is reached? Or is it just on a timer which assumes how much charge they need? ps I didn't see a batteries subforum?

IlluminatedOne

Newly Enlightened
When its charged it beeps to tell you its charged, it is not a timed charger inside as it if you wait until it beeps and unplug it and then wait a min and plug it back in the light will take a short time to beep again 1-3mins or so.

It definitely has a smart charger built in and i would guess it has a peak charger with a thermistor to shut it down if the pack gets too hot.

It also shuts it self down when the battery needs charging with a few beeps when your using it, so it wont let you drain the battery completely and then just recharge it.

So i would say you should not have to worry too much when charging it or when using it as it will tell you when it needs charging or when it is charged.

Although in the manual it states not to leave it charging for longer than 2hours and it said that to charge the light should take 1-1/2 to 2 hours.

It also mentions charging it after you use it each time.

Have fun with your light i really like mine.

Apollo Cree

Enlightened
The light appears to shut off automatically at some level of discharge. I'm not quite sure whether it's a "save the batteries" shutoff or a "circuit abruptly stops working due to low voltage" shutoff.

woof

Newly Enlightened
Hi woof, here's a link to the batteries sub-forum. Plenty of good info there.

BTW, how do you like the Stanley spotlight so far?

JB

Thanks for all the answers. I bought this light for one purpose - I have 2 horses and like to check on them when they are in the pasture at night without going outside. On the default setting I can easily spot a dark brown horse against a dark brown treeline a hundred yards out from my kitchen window. Love it!