Stanley 5 Watt LED Spotlight

Karl in NY

Newly Enlightened
OK, where is the current lowest price on these?
They seem to vary between $20 and $40, the lower prices being expired short-term sales.

The Amazon site is not very specific regarding features...does this ship with an AC charger?

I'm really more interested in a car charger, one that can be left permanently connected to the light without over-charging the battery and reducing its useful life expectancy.

Suggestions?

Thank you-

Karl

Rusty Joe

Newly Enlightened
OK, where is the current lowest price on these?
They seem to vary between $20 and $40, the lower prices being expired short-term sales.

The Amazon site is not very specific regarding features...does this ship with an AC charger?

I'm really more interested in a car charger, one that can be left permanently connected to the light without over-charging the battery and reducing its useful life expectancy.

Suggestions?

Thank you-

Karl

I bought it and took it back. Just wasn't bright enough. Walmart had this one to me at $37. Ships with a wall charger only, I think. And you're not supposed to leave it plugged in. If you don't already have it, why not get the battery-less Q-beam 3 mil? That way, you just leave it plugged into the car.

Karl in NY

Newly Enlightened
I was looking for a spotlight that would recharge in the car, but necessarily to use in the car itself, so a battery pack would be mandatory.

I was hoping for a "smart" charger (like what's available for lead-acid batteries) so I would not need to be diligent about charging it all the time.

Robstorch

Newly Enlightened
Re: Stanley 5 Watt LED Spotlight has only one speed..

I just got mine at Walmart tonight, nice light perfect size. It was dead in the pack but a 2 hour charge got it fixed. This is the one for $29 with the belt clip. I only have one brightness level which I think is low. Low is actually pretty darn bright. pushing the buttons on the back has no effect on brightness. No beeps except when it finishes charging. I see someone else mentioned this before. Looks like I need to return it.

UPDATE: Must have been operator error on my part. I was not holding the up or down buttons long enough! Once turned on, its pretty darn bright, and is changable from the buttons on the back.
It is not dark yet so I cant tell how bright it gets at its highest but it sure throws a nice laser like
spot a good distance.
I was going to return it to another walmart but they had another there for $29 so I got it to test with.
No idea why the ones in the blister packs are $39 without the belt clip and in the box they are $29 with
the belt clip!

Last edited:

Tertullus

Newly Enlightened
I recently purchased the Stanley 5 Watt LED as a backup to my Big Gun. I am a boater and I have only one use for spotlights. When I am running at night, I use them to pick up the markers that mark the channel. What I do not want is a lot of spill light that reflects off the white deck of the boat and makes it harder to see things out on the water.

For my purposes the Stanley is truly excellent. It has a tightly focused narrow beam - exactly what I need. Last night I tried it for the first time, and it is no longer by backup. It is the new champion. The Big Gun puts out a LOT more light, but puts it (relatively speaking) all over the place. The Stanley puts it where I need it - on the reflector of the marker. It is also very lightweight and I can just turn it off and drop it and the wrist loop keeps it handy for the next marker. Any boaters out there should give this one a try.

r1derbike

Newly Enlightened
Picked-up one of these. Seems an "OK" light, for the money ($39.00). Will give it to my wife for a walk-around after dark light.

It's light, small, and really bright (the housing...it's yellow).

If I found another on sale, I'd pick one up again. At 40 bucks, it's pushing the high limit of what it's worth.

Charles

IlluminatedOne

Newly Enlightened
I have recently modded mine to take 6XAA rather than the AAA pack that's in there normally.
When i have a chance i will do some runtimes, but the pack i put in there was 1200mah to 1500mah so should get me nearly twice the capacity of the stock 700mah pack in there.
I will maybe upgrade the pack in the future to something like eneloop's but the AA's i had were already in a pack that fitted the light.

Charging did not seem to be a problem as the pack went in pretty much discharged and after a hour or two the pack was charged with a beep.

Its not too hard to put in 6XAA and seems like it was made to take them in the first place as the AA's fit in perfectly after cutting of a few bits of plastic.
Just used a dremel to remove the plastic, then took the shrink wrap off the original pack, de soldered the wires and took the temp sensor out of the pack.
Soldered the battery cable back onto the new pack and inserted the temp sensor, put it back together and it all worked fine.

What i would really like though is to be able to change the power output of the driver.
So i could set a much higher high and also set a lower low, but still be able to use the buttons to ramp it up and down.
It would be awesome to have a moonlight mode and also a really high mode.

Its a great little light though especially as the weather is getting colder nice to hold on to with gloves compared to my Quark AA2 which i find a little too small for my hands and even more so with gloves on.

robert w

Newly Enlightened
I just bought one at walmart.My son had one in deer camp and i was impressed we were spotting deer a quarter mile or more.The battery life is amazing and when the charge indicator light comes on it will still work at full power for a long time.It charges in less than 2 hours.It shines a small super concentrated beam a long distance.:huh:

Doxiedad

Newly Enlightened
Looking for a light to spot critters in the backyard @ about 50m

Would this be a Better choice over a 2d mag with cree xr-e?

Or another suggestion under $50 and available at a big box retailer.

Doxiedad

Newly Enlightened
Well I found the Mag 2D LED with the XR-E and was able to get two of them for $17.95 each from Lowes. I'll give them a try and if that doesn't work the Stanley will still be available.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
after i killed mine,(earlier in the thread i posted detalies), i used a reflector from it on the different light i moded, but i got rid of xr-e, i put xm-l in that reflector, huge difference, it is in my avatar, in the center of that big gray light.

IlluminatedOne

Newly Enlightened
Just tested the Lux on my Stanley 5W Led and it came out at a bit above 30k Lux@1m using my DX Lux meter so not a bad thrower.

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
i got one of these for my son for x-mas (he's always admired my stanley HID, so i figured a Jr version would be a good light for him) and he loves it,... as do i! a very impressive lil LED spotlight. def worth the $ IMO, its taken a beating (12yr old boys' toy) and keeps on running, yes the beep is annoying, yes the lag when changing levels is tedious, and yes the delay with trigger pull is a tad irritating, but the afterglow from the driver caps is neat, it's lightweight, lasts a Long time per charge, and throws plenty for our area in the city. i took the liberty of adding a GITD ring around the bottom of the reflector just at the flat spot, dident interfere with beam at all and looks really cool at night, and makes it easier to find in the dark. looking at a few other possible mods as well, including a batt pack upgrade and maybe a smooth dimming/memory driver circuit.