Star Wars: Empire Strikes Back odditities

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
I secretly really do love SW. Hell, I love almost all SciFi. Even spoofs of SciFi.
+1

What is the deal with Stargate universe? I watched virtually all of the SG1 and Atlantis episodes (although I missed the FINAL EPISODE of atlantis because someone deleted it form my DVR...). Why are they coming up with a completely new show with totally different actors (Lou Diamond Phillips? REALLY!?) instead of continuing atlantis a little longer? I realize that the themes were getting stale though...

I don't understand why they ended Battlestar Galactica so soon though... There were A LOT of things they could have done with that show, since virtually no one had any idea what was going on at any given time.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I don't understand why they ended Battlestar Galactica so soon though...

I tried to watch that one a couple of times, but apparently in the future there are no tripods for cameras. It's difficult to buy into a "futuristic feel" if almost every scene is shot by hand, a la your home camcorder. Maybe they wanted the audience to be a little seasick..

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
Battlestar Galactica doesn't take place "in the future" any more than Star Wars does; if you had watched the show you would know that... I am not going to say anymore so I don't spoil the completely bizarre series finale for everyone else.

That said, I liked how it was filmed. It made it different from all of the other generic TV shows out there at the time.

Patriot

Flashaholic
I tried to watch that one a couple of times, but apparently in the future there are no tripods for cameras. It's difficult to buy into a "futuristic feel" if almost every scene is shot by hand, a la your home camcorder. Maybe they wanted the audience to be a little seasick..

I only saw this a few times myself and it wasn't for me either. I have a particular pet peeve with the cinematic technique that you describe though. I think it's very trendy, not unlike the lens flare used in the latest ST movie. I forget where the free hand roaming camera with shake was popularized...maybe Saving Private Ryan, Behind Enemy Lines or another movie where the it actually works for the film. I think the Denzel Washington, Meg Ryan, film exemplifies how bad this effect can be in Courage Under Fire. I hope the style runs its course quickly though because it seems very amateurish to me.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I don't understand why they ended Battlestar Galactica so soon though... There were A LOT of things they could have done with that show, since virtually no one had any idea what was going on at any given time.

Same reason any show gets cancelled... lack of ratings.

Sometimes a popular show gets cancelled because a high-ranking network executive either doesn't like it, or feels the show is a bit too low-brow for the network. "Green Acres" being the perfect example. Very popular with viewers. But the other networks began making fun of CBS for airing it. Actually, they were jealous that CBS had such a hit show. CBS bought into the BS, and cancelled the show. Thankfully, that sort of nonsense is rare since most greedy network execs. only give a crap about one thing; ratings. (Which translates into $$$).